Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Interesting lightside toning/dipping discussion

This link aroused my interest after reading. Parts of it seem to ring true, other parts don't. Who do you agree with and does it have relevence to world coins?
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Eye appeal, Eye appeal, Eye appeal. I like both but a toned coin has to have that look. I normally prefer the Wayte Raymond look.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Those silly litesiders are always beating that bush. However, I do agree that there is a herd mentality among many collectors, as far as collecting what's currently popular. I imagine that's less prevalent on the darkside. After all, I'm collecting iron coins minted in Europe during WWI - talk about having the field to myself! And my toning issues have to do with whether the coins are rusty or not. LOL.

We ARE watching you.

• << <i>And my toning issues have to do with whether the coins are rusty or not. LOL >>

Ahhhh...But is it Natural Rust or Artificial Rust?? Has is been developing over decades or has some Rust Doctor been soaking the coin in brine solution for a few weeks??? Does the rust form a nice, desirable pattern over the surface of the coin or is it vile and stand out like a sore thumb?? Has this coin been naturally rusty at one time but been dipped in "Rust-Away" and is now once again rusty?? These are questions that must be answered before I begin paying heavy premiums for rusty coins!!!image
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Edited to add: my icon coin has been virtually toning since I changed to it a couple of weeks ago. Just a question of adjusting brightness and contrastimage
  • You ain't kidding:

Bill

09/07/2006
    Wow, is that for sale?image
  • You'd better hurry it's getting darker.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • I've asked this before and everyone thinks I'm green but: how do they get the coins to tone like that?

There's no silver in England like it. We have coins like cosmic's icon and rainbow toning is much darker.

I think it's ludicrous - coins don't tone like that naturally. It's hard enough finding silver collection coins that haven't been dipped.

There's a lot to be said about collecting copper and bronze - much harder to screw around with, although there's some pretty clever bears experimenting in England.

Really sad.... These things are valuable and should be looked after.

Lloyd (annoyed)
  • or are the coins just photographed and messed around with? (hope so)
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That's what happens when you don't give yourself room to expand... imageity:

"Look bubba that spot o paint is drying faster!"
  • All color in previous version was done in Photoshop.image

As far as the vibrant rainbow colors, the holders pictured below will do that pretty fast

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Thanks Bill - photoshop point taken - no need to hammer it home.
  • One more varity.image

Bill

09/07/2006
    I'm going to ask your mom what you did with your crayons when you were youngimage

Edited to add: on a serious note-all of you photoshop/equivilent guru's, do you feel that there is zero, slight, or substantial photo modification going on with coin images representing items for sale?
  • I'd say alot of photos are touched up. In many cases one can not truely get the image to look right and try to touch it up to make it look more like the coin actually looks. But others that simply do it to try and hide imperfections suck.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Leave the Darklights on folks ... I've invited the litesiders to this thread to check out our "rust" problems. imageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah,let's watch image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Many darkside coins have a different silver composition than the US 90-10. What I find fascinating is how .750 or .500 silver tones compared to .900. I have some very dark coppery-colored English crowns that I would never dream of dipping for that very reason.

We ARE watching you.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    What fascinates me,is the story that Askari came up with : imagine if he was an active collector in those days,how much more he would have shared image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a different perspective than Iwog. For me, it is not about "white" v "toning" and the color associated with certain toning but "original" coins v "dipped" coins. Iwog is right that there are tone doctors and coins that are not original... however, the same can be said for some of the blast white coins that obviously have been enhanced for purposes of getting a bump from TPG.

This is issue that effects all areas of coins...some areas more so than others and the reason I say that is due to the number of truly original coins that have survived. I always use no motto Liberty gold in ef40 to au58 to illustrate my point. Rare US branch mint gold is virtually non existant in MS and the price swings from ef45 to au 50 and again in the various au grades is tremendous. Some dealers will dip or enhance these coins to stretch the grade and maximize the $$$ out of the coin. It has become almost impossible to find original examples in this type environment. I have suggested to the grading services time and time again that an original surfaces designation is needed to help preserve original coins. I have been told that such a concept is not a popular idea and the market does not want it. I still disagree... and that is just part of life and I can live with that because I at least raised the issue.

Even with Darkside coins... how many original French 5 Franc coins have you seen that grade in the au50 to ms63 range? The number of dipped crap far exceeds the number of truly original coins that are attractive which makes collecting a real challenge for those that prefer original coins to dipped coins.

My view is that coin doctoring from either side is wrong, however, dipping a coin maybe necessary if there is PVC Damage and under those circumstances, there is an exception.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Hey CoinKat, it was nice to meet you. Hope you enjoyed your afternoon at Witt Coins. Did you leave with anything?

Tom
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TommyB:

It was great meeting you and I managed not to leave empty handed.

I found a 1900 maundy set that I am thrilled with and 2 other darkside coins that I liked including a French 1652 A Ecu. I found a nice 1900-s Barber Quarter that I though was nice too. Good look with the early Washingtons

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.