Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

WOW! Vicky pattern

I missed this one the first time I went through NEN's auctions. Very interesting coin. Plain design but quite pleasing IMO.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Don.... was that the link you meant it to be? Sorry...... I replied too soon.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • I like it.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Nice pattern. But hey, NEN needs to expend some effort on improving their photography skills.
    Cosmic, you're close enough; why not call and arrange for some consultation. In exchange for a coin or two, of course! image

If it's gilt, it should look gold, not orange-melon.....GAG!
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I'm really starting to like pattern coins. Do we have any strong world pattern collectors on the forum, or is it onesies and twosies?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • I definitely agree on the images thing I have brought quite a few coins from them and their pictures never do them justice. If they wanted a full time photographer and paid enough I would quit my current job in a flash.

As for patterns I have quite a few Goetz. US patterns are way too expensive but there are many World coin patterns out there for nice prices.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cosmic, being a photographer for a large dealer sounds really interesting!! Why don't you talk to Chris about that? Maybe it's your calling!

I like patterns too, and have a few foreign ones. US patterns are way out of my league.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • IMO this is a very interesting coin.
  • mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    I particularly like the Britannia, not so sure about Vic. Overall I'd love to have it.image
    Joe
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Vicky look like she belongs on a French coin?image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    She sure doesn't look British in that depiction.image
    Joe
    Looks like a major nose job to me. Wyon didn't do that, did he?
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    THIS IS A THREAD HIJACK! EVERYONE STAY IN YOUR SEATS AND NOBODY GETS HURT!!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    HIJACK!!!
    Let's make it a giveaway. I'll draw a single name from the next 5 people to post to this thread. Winner will receive:
    a wybrit pedigree GeoV 1921 1/2 crown, worn, but what character! (won not too long ago)
    a mongoose pedigree 1910 Ed VII 1/2d, buffed to a fine shine! (no idea where it came from)
    a Coulport pedigree silver Mexican 1 peso, 1959 (won long ago)
    a BONUS Aethelred pedigree British coin of my choice. Not hammered though.

Hey, 4 pedigreed coins, some wear, maybe a few uglies, but it's free coins that came from good homes.
    Joe
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I guess there is one good thing about being on the other side of the world - easier to get into late-night giveaways! image

The Victoria design on the pattern does look like French/Swiss designs to me. The reverse is very nice but probably has too much design details to have made a good coinable design. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm

<< <i>pattern does look like French/Swiss designs to me >>

Hey, watch it with the Swiss comments!! imageimage

I'm in, eh!
  • Useful coin here but notice that they've categorized in "other". Strange. It's a pattern PENNY.

A few of these have come to light in the past few months and examples have been listed in nearly all the major auctions.... Obviously rare but the rating is too high now. Hence the opening price.

L
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Interesting observation about the availability, Lloyd. I thought the price seemed low for a coin with a mintage of only 2 (or 3).

Mongoose, you forgot about perhaps the most important pedigree of all---yours!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • I like the reverse.
    MacMouse, you have been drawn as winner for the pedigreed/uglies. I have a few bits of silver and bronze to send your way...hopefully they'll help you endure the winter. image

Perhaps you could sell them and purchase a membership in the Wyon Appreciation Society?image
    Joe
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, wee mousie!!image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Tom, for a minute there I thought Mac bought the pattern. image Then I realized your congrats was for winning Joe's giveaway.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

<< <i>sell them and purchase a membership in the Wyon Appreciation Society? >>

But what would Benny say to that?

Can't wait to see these pedigreed jewels! imageimage

<< <i>for a minute there I thought Mac bought the pattern. >>

You kiddin' me? I said I was poor as a churchmouse! image

Besides, she needs a nose job (would that be metallic surgery). image
  • Boiler got the pattern. Congrats Mark.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Bill.image I'll let you know how it looks when I have the coin in hand. I am primarily a US pattern collector and this is a relatively new area for me. These foreign patterns seem like a much better buy than their US counterparts!
    Congrats boiler. Money says it looks fine, that is "gold". Post a pic for us when you get it. The Brits have many beautiful patterns available.
  • Congrats, Boiler!
    Joe
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone recommend good reference material for British patterns?image I guess I forgot to buy the book before the coins but its never too late to learn.

<< <i> Can anyone recommend good reference material for British patterns? >>

Peck covers most of the copper and bronze patterns.

English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum: 1558 - 1958 by C. Wilson Peck

Lloyd, Wybrit? Any others for silver and/or gold as concise as Peck; i.e. decent plates.