Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tiny BU Giveaway - Winner Aethelred (GROAN)

BU giveaway of Three minors. Not rare but you got to get them like this.....

Isle of Man 1985 1/2p BU Prooflike
Great Britain 1971 1/2p BU
Netherlands East Indies 1945P 1/2 cent

What's your favourite coin in your collection? Why? Post a pic if you want. Best response (not coin) get's the giveaway post free....

Probably announce winner on Sunday night my time.....

Lloyd

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

imageimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    disregard please: I hadn't seen cosmic's reply image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    A timeless classic in its biggest gold format:

imageimage
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Please.... do not stop posting these great photos but i thought it was a story thread. Dummy me...image

Man...you folks have some great pics, and coins, of course!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    GB 1869 penny, about UNC. It's supposedly rare and I found it for a song. It's also a very attractive chocolate covered piece. It may been seen in this link. Sorry the picture is too large to display here.

Please don't enter me in the giveaway though, because I am swimming in tiny BUs.image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I would post a picture but I would have to go to the bank box to grab the coin. I bestist buddy coin is a 1851 Chile 8 escudos gold coin that I found with my MD on a beach in the Dominican Republic! I posted a picture here a while back! After the once in a lifetime find, it's back to bottle tops and pull tabs!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I CAN'T DO IT !!!!Every time I think that this one is my favorite, I see another that is really my favorite...no THIS is my favorite..no wait, this one here is my favorite, yeah that's the one...er...no It's gotta be this one....image
    Shep
  • Options
    ditto!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I'm with Shep... Must be some sort of coinzheimer's disease, my favorite coin is, uh, where is the last one I just got?... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Because I can click here & see and read about my coin and I STILL don't know what it is!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Please don't enter me, but I'd like to say that you've got a fabulous sig line coin, Lloyd!!image

Also, I'm enjoying looking at the neat entries! As for me, I really don't have one or even 100 favorite coins. However, I will list a few of my more favorite possibilities.

1831 "November Revolution" 1 Ducat, Poland because it represents freedom and the struggle to be free, against nearly hopeless odds.

1138-46 Denar, Poland, Vladislav the Exile. Unbelievable subject matter; you need to see the themes on the rest of this king's coins in order to gain a full appreciation of him and the times he lived in.

1772 10 Kopeks, Siberia "Denga". What an awesome coin to behold and hold; it's massive and colorful.

1548 Half Grosz, Poland. Gem Brilliant Uncirculated and 455 years old. Need I say more?

17th Century Reformation Medal. History and boldness of design--truth in advertising??

11th Century Silver Denar Planchet. Cool "mint error"!!

1863 CWT with Star of David. Civil War Tokens are cool, and this one is in wonderful condition with interesting theme.

Medieval Brass Button from Malbork, Poland. I know, it's not a coin, but I found it in between the cobblestones of the central courtyard of this most famous and tremendously imposing castle.

1918 Tin "Notgeld" Token, Poland, R7. Only a few examples known and historically significant.

1951 Booker T. Washington Commemorative. Just kidding...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I'd just like to mention that wybrit's penny is worth around $2000 and possible £2000...... It's much better than the recent Colin Adams example sold by Spink for ? (lots)

Come on Girls. No stories - didn't you have to sleep with anyone for a coin or do a leap of faith or something..... ? image

L
  • Options
    I am not looking to enter the giveaway only tell a tale.

Mine is just a story about my favorite coin. Sort of a strange tale and no photos to show but here it is.

When I was about 8-10 years old my Grandfather gave me a silver dollar (that would make it about 50 years ago). He said it was given to him by his father and was minted the year he was born. I can not actually remember the date but that would have made it 1882 if he was correct.
    Anyway I keep the coin wrapped in an old white sock in a cigar box with other things young boys hoard.
    I was not really interested in cons as such but truely loved my grand-dad and treasured the coin.

I don't remember even looking at the coin very often but for the next 40 years, through all my traveling and moving around the world I somehow hung onto it.

When I left the USA to move to Norway about 17 years ago I gave the coin to my Mother (his only daughter) as a keepsake and reminder of him. Unfortunately my mother is now no longer with us and the coin is probably lost somewhere.

Irrespective of this, that coin still means very much to me. Now after all these years I have become interested in coin collecting and find myself thinking of it often.
    I like that very much because it gives me such good memories of my Grand Father and my mother.

Sorry it got so ong winded but there you have it.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    My favorite is an 1871 Prince Edward Island one cent that I won in a Torex auction about a year ago, before they instigated the 17 1/2 % buyers fee (outrageous, imho). I have one cents from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, but the PEI is special to me because as far as I know, it is the only year
    they minted the cent. I'd post a pic but I can't get my scanner to get a decent one of it. It's a PCGS MS65RB in a green holder. One of my few encarcerated
    Darkside coins image

Thanks for the chance to enter your great giveaway, Lloyd! I love copper and bronze colored coins!

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice story, Newbie! I know it won't ever replace the Morgan Dollar that your granddad gave you, but I'm sending you a "replacement" 1882-S dollar with obverse doubling.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Eddie VII Mate Proof Gold. It took me almost a year to put this set together. Sure I could have saved up and brought a pre packaged one but it was more fun and work to do it one piece at a time.

This method also allowed me to pick only the best pieces I could afford.

Plus I prefer the Airtite holders and Cherry Wood Box these now reside in over the original packaging which does not protect the coins as good.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Lovely set of coins Bill......image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    One of my favotites is an Egyptian coin with the Sphinx on the obverse. It isn't even a very rare coinor in unc. condition but I like it a lot.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    That's the one.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Although not the most expensive coin in my collection, I'd have to say that this 1816 Bullhead Halfcrown is one of my favorites. In January I went to the FUN show with Lordmarcovan. I had mentioned to him that I was looking for a nice original HC in higher grade. During the first day of the show I saw several Bullheads, but they were all F-VF at best, not what I was after at all. By the end of the day I had checked with every Brit dealer at the show and not found anything close to what I was after. I was able to buy a few other coins that I needed, like a VF John Penny and a Herny VII facing bust Groat, but I didn't see the Bullhead happening this trip. On the second day of the show LordM and I were on our way outside for a smoke break when he stopped at a table of Thalers and said "here's your Bullhead!" Sure enough the dealer had a better grade 1816 halfcrown with nice toning. I asked to look at the coin, liked what I saw and ended up buying it. Had LordM not been there I don't think I would have found this coin.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Right - I'm off to get some beers. Then I'm going to pray and make peace with my Bookmaker.

Any more entries?

My favourite is a 1945 Halfpenny taken out of a large auction lot. Toned and prooflike - value between $4 and $7. Even though I have a BU Gem in my collection I just can't bring myself to sell this one (and I'd sell anything). Also I seem to have had more than my share of lucky breaks since putting it in the collection box. Two weeks ago I shoved it in my wallet to carry around!!!

(Twilight Zone) image

L
  • Options

<< <i>Although not the most expensive coin in my collection, I'd have to say that this 1816 Bullhead Halfcrown is one of my favorites. In January I went to the FUN show with Lordmarcovan. I had mentioned to him that I was looking for a nice original HC in higher grade. During the first day of the show I saw several Bullheads, but they were all F-VF at best, not what I was after at all. By the end of the day I had checked with every Brit dealer at the show and not found anything close to what I was after. I was able to buy a few other coins that I needed, like a VF John Penny and a Herny VII facing bust Groat, but I didn't see the Bullhead happening this trip. On the second day of the show LordM and I were on our way outside for a smoke break when he stopped at a table of Thalers and said "here's your Bullhead!" Sure enough the dealer had a better grade 1816 halfcrown with nice toning. I asked to look at the coin, liked what I saw and ended up buying it. Had LordM not been there I don't think I would have found this coin.

image >>

Great coin and a great story........ I love that Bull.....image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Sorry but as much as I hate to do it Aethelred wins. Good story and great coin.

Send me thou address.....
  • Options
    Phewey he cheated, I was shoe in before he came along. image

Thanks for the chance Lloyd and congrats to the dead king.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Bill
    That was awful - I had no stories about having to break into a museum to get the coin, or sleep with James Bond's Mrs.

L
  • Options
    If I told you the real story I'd have to kill you. I can't afford to let my secrets out. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Lloyd hasn't been around enough to know what a bore I really am. I'm thinking the beer and the blow to his head from the bookie messed him up and he picked me!image

Really though, thank you very much Lloyd!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zzzzzzzzzz boring!

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    The fix was inimage
    Shep
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aethelred needs to be fixed? image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Aethelred needs to be fixed? image >>

Please not that! I'll change, really!!!!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com