Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Franklin Exodus

In the past couple of months two top ten Frankie sets have dropped out, and one more is getting ready to - any thoughts on why?

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank: The 1959(d) Franklin in PCGS-MS67FBL I recently slabbed didn't take very long to move at all. The great coins are in incredible demand. The rest are under some pressure and, in some cases, some great bargains appear to exist at this time IMHO.

I think the prices for the top coins may be impacting the decision of some to sell.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    I see that several of the coins in the current #7 set are selling quickingly. I have one from that set coming my way this weekend/early next week. The hose coins had strong asking prices, as do those remaining to be sold.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options

The series has been dead for about 3 years now; part of the problem is many collectors find them
    boring, especially a series with no listed die varieties. The increase #'s in the pop. reports don't help
    any, but most people fail to realize just how tough these are to find in 66 and higher, compared to
    other series (Walkers, etc..) Finding white, spot-free specimens is not easy, and if the collector base
    for this group were to expand to, say comparable to Walkers or Morgans, prices would explode.

People also are reluctant to start a set of these, knowing the '53-S is unreachable (for most), so why
    start an FBL set you never can finish??
  • Options
    Except for the lowest pops, Franklins are for sale everywhere, mint state and proof. They are not as rare as the prices would indicate. As they continue to drop, it should create some good buy opportunities. The key is to buy the really nice eye appealing ones and let the ugly ones go regardless of price. I hate to have this outlook as I own an important group of proof Franklins, but that seems to be the way it is!image

Greg
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I'm dissapointed with the performance for the past couple of years. I also partially blame the grading services for having too many overgraded coins.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.