Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A little bit of a disappointment

At my local dealer I found some Canadian 5 cents and 1 cents in his junk box. One of them is a 1944 5 cent an great condition as to wear but, alas and alack, George has a tumor that I thought might come off in a soak of acetone - but not to be.image The 1943 5 cent was a nice one though.)

imageimage
Shep
Edited to remove duplicate photo - I'm brain dead todayimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Are they made of the same material?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Jester - No the 1944 is chrome plated steel and the 1943 is Tombac (a type of brass).
    both are Victory commemorative coins but were the only version of the 5 cents made for those years.
    Shep
  • Options
    Aren't these the only coins with Morse Code on them?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I like the series. You can get the 1942 "nickel" in nickel or tombac, the 1943 in tombac with the V design, and the 1944 with the V design in steel. They make an interesting set.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Ah yes, 4 decent types in 3 years*

The '44 and '45 5c are really great in BU with the bluish chrome color.

Looks like George got rusty.

Have you seen the 2003 cents:
    "Old" obverse zinc
    "Old" obverse steel
    "New" obverse zinc
    "New" obverse steel
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Kevin- the links at the bottom of your posts are not clickableimage
    Shep
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone post links to the different varieties of '03 cents? Is the new effigy limited to just cents, or the entire run of denominations? Which are circulation vs special-set-only?

Thanks!

I'll give the RCM one thing - - they make it awfully hard for a "circulated+" collector to acquire a complete set!

- - Daveimageimage

P.S. Anyone up North have access to all '03 varieties & willing to trade? Thanks!
  • Options

Hello,
    My father is the owner of the one and only 1944 Tombac Canadian 5 Cent Piece (AKA Tombac Nickel.) As you may have read in the April 17th issue of the Canadian Coin News, he will be putting it up for auction on eBay this month. If you have an interest in following the auction, please send an email to tombacnickel@gmail.com to be added to the launch announcement list--you will be provided a link to the auction page.
    You can also follow @TombacNickel on Twitter for more info.
    Thank you