Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Where's the BEST place to buy coins?

In line with Spoon's thread about the worst places to buy coins, how about turning the tables and naming the best places? That would be in general, but particularly I'm interested in specific and personal experiences.

To start off, I offer that live auctions can be some of the best places to find the highest quality, and rarest coins.

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Indeed. I don't think live auctions have much competition amongst public venues (though, auctions can go bad). Other than that I'd have to give what probably everyone else will second: friends. image
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Internet auctions can be excellent although I always hold my breath until the coin is in hand. The best place so far for me (in my limited experience) is right here-not a single coin I've purchased has deviated from the description of the forum member (usually better) and the prices are great! Other than that, a local coin store with an informed, energetic and fair owner is still my choice. You get to see what you're buying, chew the fat, bargain a little, maybe put it on lay-a-way, and I like instant gratification.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    A good dealer with whom you have good rapport. I don't know a better way, quite frankly.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • "Best" in what way?

If you mean best deals I find that the auctions at the 2 local coin clubs I attend I can get some wonderful values.
    Best quality? I found that reputable dealers are on average a choice for best quality, but NOT cheapest prices.
    Online auctions offer more of a supply to choose from, and may very well offer some wonderful material, but like as was mentioned, until you get the coin in hand it is a guessing game if it will arrive and if you will really like it.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
    I found that reputable dealers are on average a choice for best quality, but NOT cheapest prices.

That depends on how much money you spend sending the unsatisfactory coins back after you get them.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>reputable dealers are on average a choice for best quality, but NOT cheapest prices. >>

As Dave Bowers and I'm sure countless others have said over the decades, "There's no Santa Claus in coins".

Your best bet is to find a dealer or collector who is, 1) experienced, 2) consistently offers great value for the grade range, 3) is not offended if the coin they offer isn't quite right for you (sometimes you have to teach them what's acceptable to you), and more than willing to offer an outright refund or even a reasonable buy-back or upgrade policy.

This doesn't mean you have to only buy mint state coins.....one of the nicest displays of Middle Date Large Cents I ever saw was Steve Carr's collection of choice VF 'brown rounds'. Every single cent was super choice for for being VF (EAC graded VF), and they were pretty, very pretty. A complete date run as I recall which is no easy feat.
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Obviously, Palm Coast Coins comes to mind image They have been established as a fixture in the North Florida numismatic community for at least four days now imageimageimage
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I guess I have a different view on this than most, but I believe the best place to buy coins is on eBay. I've been quite happy with the vast majority of the coins/medals/tokens I've bought on eBay over the years. The local shops do not carry the type of material I'm interested in at a price I'm willing to pay. Add to that the limited number of local shows and I'm pretty much limited to mail order, online dealers and eBay.

BTW, my stay in Singapore has been extended and it now appears that I will miss the MOON coin show next weekend. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
    BTW, my stay in Singapore has been extended and it now appears that I will miss the MOON coin show next weekend.

Always sad to miss out, especially in show-starved MN. Hope the trip will bear some fruit.
  • Apart from getting your weekly $100 fix at Lloyd's, I would say the best place is any realistic coin fair.

I would buy at most places but auctions are exposed - everyone can see the coin and has time to peruse and check catalogues. First through the door at a coin fair and make a B-Line for the lazy dealers who don't check everythingimage

Also there's the well worn path of connecting and staying with a good dealer. Boring but really good advice if you're lucky to find one. About 50% of my collection coins come from one man (and he isn't online)

L
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Can I have my fix now Lloyd? image

To my knowledge ,one of the best places to buy coins is this forum (not the BST). For the rest,I agree with wybrit: the vast majority of my coins come from a couple of very good dealers,one of whom has become a good friend too.I think it's worth the extra $ (if any) ,if you prefer to sleep in peace and reduce that extra stress.Big auction firms are almost inevitable,if you're looking for various top quality rare coins ,but it'll never be cheap; finally,I'm happy that there's still an old style live auction in Athens,at my local numismatic club three-four times a year,where some serious local coins can be found at very reasonable prices.Coins of a particular country are very often selling higher in that country,but what choice do I really have,when the entire ANA show had only 4 Greek coins to offer? They've all been repatriated,at least the ones that are for sale.

Of course,there's always that fantasy to meet a great collector's widow,and help her get rid of all this junk image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3