Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Virtual Type Set - A spinoff of the Coin Match Game - Explanation

I'm going to propose a spinoff of Laurent's Coin Match Game. This one, I hope, can evolve into a tool for everyone. You may have seen me mumbling in the dark corners of the forum about the need for an online "Krause-like" service.. well, I'm going to go ahead with it. But you all can help.

Now the Virtual Type set will work kind of like the Coin Match Game, but it'll just be for show. Anyone can start their own at any time, though it may be more productive to do only one or two at a time. The format/rules are:

1) This is all about pictures. Grade doesn't matter. In fact having different grades of the same type would be helpful.
2) Just like "SSP", there should be a designation in the title for easy searches. If you start your own Virtual Type Set, please use the title format "VTS - Coin type here".
3) It would be greatly appreciated if you would let me use the pictures for my website* If you post in a VTS thread, please let me know if you would NOT like for me to use the pics. (I will insert this reminder in all threads I start and the ones I don't before using anything).
4) Feel free to comment all you want in a VTS thread, but please keep the pictures relating to the title's type.

* Info on the site I'm starting: I bought numispedia.org.. it's not online yet as I just started this week, but hope to have a flexible structure up soon (will post more then). I do not plan on collecting any money from the site, this is intended as a public resource. Credit, links to a webiste or ebay sales, will be given for all pictures used, unless requested otherwise. Right now things are still getting in order, but I would like to gather your input. Will you be willing to go along with the VTS plan as stated above? Any recommendations? Will get this started tomorrow if the responses are favorable.

** Orphan footnote: This is in no way in competition with Laurent's Game.. I still plan on posting there too image

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting, Spoon! What is the exact purpose? To get/show as many different examples of a certain type of coin? I like that idea.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Your idea has a lot of merit and I'll support you any way I can, but any pics I post would come off the internet to begin with until I resolve my computer/scanner problemimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Jester, for the threads here the idea is to gather as many different pictures as possible relating to a specific type. Varieties and all. Like I said, all grades are welcome, even if someone already posted that variety. Those help others get an idea for grading the type. Major errors are welcome, but for the website I won't be using minor errors like die cracks and doubling, unless significant.

The idea of the website is for it to become a numismatic encyclopedia and catalog. Going to do as much as is practical. I'll probably come here for help a lot and your submissions are all very much welcomed and appreciated.

Laurent, for the type set, I'd appreciate only pics that you own of coins that you own. This is for legal reasons, since I'll be putting them on the website. Of course, you may post other pictures, but please let me know their status when doing so.

Thanks for the interest, all!! imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Spoon, good luck with this momentous endeavor. It's a worthwhile and courageous effort.

You can feel free to use any of my pictures/scans, including all in the Jester's Challenge series.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    I give the same blanket aproval for anyone to use , download, or copy any photos that I put up on the forums.
    Joe
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    posting reply - disconnect - return later - three VTS in first page already.

Never start replying from page 3 image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3