Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Error collectors, is this an example of a "cud?"

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    yes
  • Options
    Steve: Yes it most certainly is. Did you know that in the Lincoln series there are over 2000 known cuds? I have about 500 or so myself. And as I remember, there is only 1 proof cud. And of all dates I believe its on the 1969S. Go figure.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, what exactly is the definition of a cud (i.e. how is it caused)?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Steve, I got this definition from "CONECA" :

"One of the best-known and best-loved error types is the "major die break", or "cud". A cud is produced when a piece of the die breaks off, carrying with it part of the die face and an adjacent portion of the die neck. The result is a raised lump on the coin that extends a varying distance in from the edge. On the coin's opposite face there is a corresponding featureless area which is usually slightly hollowed. It is caused by the lack of resistance to the impact of the die and a tendency for the metal to follow the path of least resistance and rise into the gap in the broken die."
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cud is due to die failure,a die crack forms in the die metal,and that crack is aggrevated by succesive strikes.In which the planchet metal is forced into the die crack.The die actualy breaks away,leaving a void in the die design...Al

Spellingimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the extremely short production cycles on the states coins they don't have
    time to perfect the dies before it's time to move on. It's surprising there aren't a
    lot more cuds on these coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is a cud a "mint error" or a "mint screw-up"? Yes, I'm serious! For a clue, click here.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He cant be serious,yes it's a screw up,but a mint screw up,and still an error.Not post.Al
  • Options
    This thread has nothing to do with set registry...should be somewhere else...polluting the SRForum
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    thats what ive been tought to think it is....i think cuds are cool

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill