Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

BRM 2000 First Strikes

Interesting phone conversation with a fellow at the BRM yesterday. He says the BRM is offering a special 2000 2-coin Sovereign and Half-Sovereign set of first strikes with a 10,000 minting (I think). Evidently they “set aside” these coins and can guarantee they are 1st strikes.

Ok, so I ask the price and he says something in excess of $500. Any thought on the value of this “deal”? I’m wary but those 2000 coins were very nice.

Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

Comments

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    They were marketed in partnership with Collectors Universe and Ronald Gillio. BRM issue prices are always way too high compared to other sources. You can still get them cheaper in eBay. Here's a couple of recently ended listings. BTW, the highest grade I have seen for these is MS68.

sovereign

half-sovereign
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    addendum:

Later in the year, the first 500 struck 5 Pound gold coins were similarly slabbed and marketed in partnership with Ronald Gillio. So if you want the whole set, you can get these as well. The highest grade for the 5 Pounds is MS69. I do not have the half-sovereign and sovereign but I do have the 5 Pound. image

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Thanks Trozau,

You confirmed my suspicion, and thanks for the tip on the 5 pound coins. Beautiful stuff!

It's a wonder the BRM sells anything since they overprice eveything to the point where the secndary market virtually guarantees a lower price.
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?