Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin ID Help . . . Please? :)

Hey all--

I'm not really much of a collector and I'm a newbie here, but I was hoping you all could help me out.

I found a couple (possibly matching) coins that I have. They don't say much, and they're gunked up pretty bad, so I have no clue where they came from. I think they must be tokens of some kind, but it would be really great if some of you knowledgeable peoples could tell me what they are for sure.

You can't tell from the pictures, but brass shines through in spots on both of them.

Sorry if the pictures are a bit large.

P.S. The top coin says 20c on one side and has what appears to be a medieval-style "O" on the other. It might be a "Q" or a "C" but I'm pretty sure it's an "O".

Thanks! image

Roskva
There is no gray.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tokens? Don't really look like coins to me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I can't tell what they are but someone on this forum will probably know - Let me say welcome to you roskva - the more we have here the more we will all learn.
    Shep
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tokens of some sort.

Both early twentieth century, judging from the denticulation and lettering style.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Roskva! Sorry, but I don't know anything about your tokens.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think "denticulation", in my previous post is a real word. Sounded intelligent, though. image

I guess it's "dentilation". Whatever.

I say the tokens are early 1900's from the denticles and (especially) the style of the numerals. It's not a foolproof dating method, of course, but I am usually pretty good at guessing, just based on lettering style and stuff like that. The "20c" on the first piece has a more modern numeral style. The 10c piece could be late 19th century, or on up to the 1920's. Just a WAG, of course, but a slightly educated WAG.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Some kind of tokens, but I guess you knew that already.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Roskva!!

First I've seen of these, I'm afraid, but I would agree they look like tokens or maybe Notgeld (which is the same thing, really). I agree with LM that the "10s" at least are roughly ca. 1900 (maybe +/- 20 years). The "20 c" (centavos? centimes?) looks more 1930s-50s but the Gothic "O" looks rather older.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    *grin* Actually, Lord Marcovan, denticulation is correct. Dentilation isn't a word, though. BTW, it was pretty intelligent--I actually had to go and look it up. image

Uh-oh. I just exposed myself for what I really am! I'm not a coin collector--I'm a word junky. And grammar fanatic. And--er--I'll stop now. image

So, since my "coins" are pretty much decided to be old tokens, are they worth anything? I had to ask. I've been wondering about them for years.

Thanks so much, guys. You're pretty nifty bunch. image

P.S. Um, er, yeah, I forgot to mention I have a smiley addiction. image Oops! There I go again.

Roskva
    There is no gray.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Here is the definition of the word "denticulation" from the OED:

The condition of being denticulate or finely toothed; usually concr. an instance of this; a series of small teeth or tooth-like projections (mostly in pl.).

1681 GREW Musæum (J.), The denticulation of the edges of the bill, or those small oblique incisions made for the better retention of the prey. 1829 LOUDON Encycl. Plants 609 Branches flat, linear, leafless. Denticulations flower bearing. 1862 DANA Man. Geol. 477 The teeth have a smooth margin without denticulations. 1874 J. T. MOGGRIDGE Ants & Spiders Supp. 259 The denticulation of the tarsal claws..is similar.