Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Opus 60 & Opus 271

I just ordered a couple more Goetz pieces from Germany that I thought you might like to see. The first, K-60, is so rare that it couldn’t be found for inclusion into the initial Volume I of Kienast and was subsequently placed in the supplement Goetz Volume II. As most of you know, I am not particularly fond of the “brassy” looking pieces but tend toward the darker patina pieces. However, when a rare piece becomes available I strike out to get the piece no matter because I would rather have something other than nothing. If a nicer piece comes up in the future then I have the opportunity to upgrade if I desire. Obviously, this is not unlike collecting numismatic material.

Opus 60: A.M. PACHINGER, 1909, Cast AE, 75mm. Commemorating the archaeologist at age 44 in 1909. Obverse, Legend “A.M. PACHINGER-AETATIS-ANNO-XLIV (A.M. Pachinger at the age of 44 years). Reverse, Legendless. In exergue: MCMIX (1909). The theme on the reverse is alluding to Pachinger’s book “The Women in Preganancy.” RARE

Opus 271: AT THE NEGOTIATION TABLE IN SPA (Am Verhandlungstisch in Spa), 1920, Cast AE, 58mm. The conference of Spa met on July 5, 1920. The German delegates managed, by their vagueness, lack of exact figures and hostile speeches, to exasperate the Allied delegates. They admitted that disarmament conditions had not been fulfilled. The Allies granted them six more months in which to complete the disarmament terms of the Treaty of Versailles. Goetz depicts the German chancellor Fehrenbach being forced to sign the disarmament and delivery of coal-document by Alexandre Millerand, Premier of France and Lloyd George of England. The reverse indicates that the ax of the Entente laid into the stump of Germany will cut short any young growth

The package will be mailed out in about 6 hours and should be to me by Monday at which time I will photograph and display the actual images for you. S

Comments

• Options
    They're both nice pieces. I look forward to seeing your images though... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Ok - Ok - I am in sensory overload - I just love it when you and Cosmic show off your new Goetz. I am fascinated by the use of these very elaborately designed medals as political cartoons, if you will.
    The man was obviously a master satirist as well as master artist. It amazes me that he would use the laborious method of a 3 dimensional medal rather than a much easier, to create and to publish, drawing to make his statements.
    Boy, wouldn't you love to be have been able to sit down with him and pick his brain.
    Shep
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    WOW!! image The Pachinger is super rare indeed! And that's a very nice example to boot!

BTW, Goetz wasn't all that far off in his satire. The French wanted Germany reduced to an unarmed agricultural state. It was their state policy to keep Germany from recovering economically for as long as possible.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Also interesting is the "Storm of Bolchevism" rising in the background on the reverse. Imagine what he could have done with a 3 meter by 4 meter canvas!!!!