Home U.S. Coin Forum

84-CC Morgan die cracks

I was at my local dealer this morning and he tried to sell me a Capital Plastics holder with five different mint Morgans. I had no interest in any other than the CC which was an '84 with very cool die cracks around the stars on the obverse and the legend on the reverse. Is this rare? Is anyone other than me willing to pay a premium for this? I know that I will have to overpay to convince him to break up that set.
I collect circulated U.S. silver

Comments

• GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone other than me willing to pay a premium for this? >>

Don't think so. Die cracks are common on Morgan dollars, particular in later die states.

Actually, for some issues, I would pay a premium for a specimen without die cracks, indicative of an earlier die state.
    Gilbert
  • I just asked this question a couple months ago when I noticed a recent ebay purchase had a die crack going around about 75% of the reverse. I was told then that die cracks don't bring a premium with Morgans. I still think they're cool, though.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Can anyone post a picture of a die cracked Morgan? To my knowledge I have never seen one.

Paul in Pine Hill
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Here's a thread on the same thing I started over a year ago LINK. There are pictures of the die cracks. mike image

• << <i>Here's a thread on the same thing I started over a year ago LINK. There are pictures of the die cracks. mike image >>

Thanks for the link Mike! Now I know what people are talking about when they mention die cracks.

Paul in Pine Hill
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    The coin on that old link looks pretty much exactly like the one I am interested in. I Love Die Cracks. If the dealer can't sell the whole Capital set, I am sure that I will make an offer next week.

editted to add: Thanks for the link.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Morganbarber....the real trick is finding an 84-CC WITHOUT die cracks.image

Okay, I gest. But the truth is these are very common and command no premium in my experience.

GSAGUY
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Maybe I'm goofy, but I like die cracks, and die polish lines as well. I think I like them because they add more fine detail to the coin. They may help in grading a little bit because of this. I think they just look cool, too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file