Home U.S. Coin Forum

coin shops in Cedar Rapids, Iowa?

GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know if there are any coin shops in or near Cedar Rapids, Iowa? I will be traveling there shortly, and thought I maybe I could try to hit one or two. Thanks!

Comments

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    People actually live in Iowa ?

I thought they were just passing thru.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>People actually live in Iowa ?

I thought they were just passing thru. >>

They are ... that is why coin shops in Iowa have drive-thru windows. image
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about CR but there are 3 in Des Moines if you want to take a short detour south on I-35. Exit Merle Hay road off of I-80/35 and you can pick up Christopher's. Its not too far to Hickman Road and Capital City coin plus another just up the hill. If you are looking for Morgans the selection is generally slim.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • very funny image

There's a neat small shop in Hiawatha (on Center Point Rd). It's a great place to stop by and chat.

Kyle
  • GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Kyle,

Thanks for the info. I actually stayed in Hiawatha at my brother-in-laws. My wife dragged me down for the annual visit. But they live in Hiawatha. So I looked up that coin store, and saw that it was only 1 mile from where I was staying! Unfortunately, I got there at 3pm on Saturday, and it was only open 10-2 on Saturday. But I'll know place to get away from the in-laws next time.

Just in case anyone actually goes to Iowa, the store is called Hiawatha Coin, and they just moved to a new location a block from the address listed in the phone book - it is now at 5 N Center Point Rd.

- P.S. I know we have members that make nice maps up of where we all live, and complete listings of members ID on eBay, etc. Do we have a listing of all the coin shops in the US? Maybe in a searchable format such as by state and then by city? That would be cool, so we could look up potential shops to visit while we are traveling.

Is someone wants to start this project, I'll be the first to contribute. There is only one coin shop located in Duluth, MN. It is called Duluth Coin & Stamp Center, located in downtown Duluth at 103 E Superior Street.
  • The third shop in Des Moines in Stamps n Stuff, which is on Hickman just past Capitol City Coins. I was in there last weekend, got a Canadian type set whitman album for $3 and some others from the 50s and 60s for 75 cents each.

Also, here's a link to the Cedar Rapids coin club
    http://www.money.org/clubs/crcc/index.html

Doesn't look like there are any shows until Nov 8/9 though.
    Looking for info on MN national banknotes from New Ulm, Sleepy Eye, Mankato, Hanska, and Lake Crystal. Also Two Harbors, Duluth, Brainerd, and Ely.
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Hey Geoman, I live in Cedar Rapids! Wow, I never thought I'd see a post mentioning Cedar Rapids. I would second the motion for the Hiawatha Coin Shop. Brian Fanton is a stand up coin guy.

You also might try CR Collectibles at 529 5th Ave SE. Dave Vaughn runs that shop. He did mention recently that the last local show wiped him out of material.

If you feel like driving another 20 minutes to Solon, check out Andy's Coins (102 E. Main).

Casey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file