Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ticket grading question.

I was told by PSA last week that they will grade tickets as long as they fit in a regular or tall-boy holder.
My question: Can somebody give the dimensions of a tall-boy card?

Thanks,
Don

Comments

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Hockey tall boys from 64-65 are 2 1/2 by 4 11/16
  • Options
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was wondering what people thought about ticket grading? I'm sure many of you have tickets and ticket stubs. I have a bunch of old Rose Bowl stubs and a ton of other special stubs (Sosa 500 hr) as well.

Are people planning on sending in your stubs? I think it would be a fun collection for the registry, but I would not pay $10 per ticket stub. If the service was much cheaper say $3-4 (which I am sure it will not be) then I would submit bunches of stubs.

Are there details out there on how to submit and what it costs??

Any other thoughts by our regular members about this new service would be welcome.

• Options
    mrc - All good questions. I have been waiting for what seems like a long time to get any info at all on this service. I have no idea what grading fees are??????????????????
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I asked this question several months ago, and if I recall correctly the maximum dimensions for a card in the large slabs is 3.5" x 5.25".

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    RW2WIN - Saw your question regarding pricing... (from the new online submission form)

TICKET GRADING
    Grading and Authenticating Authenticating Only (Not available for autographed tickets)
    Modern (1980 to present) $15 15 Business Days - Guaranteed
    Vintage (pre-1980) $25 15 Business Days - Guaranteed
    Premium (Tickets with a declared value of $1000 or more including autographed tickets.) $50 15 Business Days - Guaranteed

Autographed Ticket Grading and Authentication
    (Mail directly to PSA/DNA 130 Brookshire Lane, Orwigsburg, PA 17961-9505) $35 30 Business Days - Guaranteed
    Call for Ticket Bulk Pricing
    Always looking for PSA 9 or 10 Pete Maravich cards!

#1 Pete Maravich Master Set AGAIN!

The Ultimate Pete Maravich Card Collection
  • Options
    Pinch - Thanks for the info. $15 to grade a ticket.?.?.?
  • Options
    $15 bucks is WAY WAY to much. Is PSA really serious with that?

With this new service PSA needs to create a demand and cultivate a following in the ticket grading service. At this point no matter what SMR or PSA says, I don't think it getting a ticket graded adds value to that ticket. Shelling out $15 for a ticket isn't anywhere close to where the price point needs to be to stimulate a real demand and following.

My 2 cents
  • Options
    Unfortunately, $25 for grading any pre-1980 ticket (and $15 for more recent ones) is way too expensive for me. When PSA announced several months ago they'd be grading tickets, I assumed the price would be about the same as for cards, which can be as little as $6 apiece. But to find out they'll be charging $25 and $15 is a big shock! What is it about grading a ticket that causes such a high price? With all due respect to PSA, I don't see how a ticket would have to be scrutinized any more than a card. It costs $10 to grade a T206 Honus Wagner or 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card yet $25 to grade a 1979 All-Star game ticket and $15 to grade today's World Series ticket.

I don't foresee a big market in the grading of tickets for PSA. I also don't see much added value to the collector in having a ticket graded. Ebay and big auctions are flooded with PSA graded cards, but unfortunately for PSA I predict that the number of people who have tickets graded will be rather small. You'll see very few of them on Ebay and elsewhere. It's a very small niche, perhaps most appealing to those who just want a few of their most special tickets encapsulated.

I do have a lot of nice looking tickets from games I've attended -- Super Bowls, major college bowl games, World Series, All-Star games, NBA finals, Stanley Cup finals, Olympics, etc. I'll just keep them safely tucked away where they are!

Skycap
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd bring this old thread to life after 10 years of ticket grading what do you all think of the categories growth?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    I'm no expert but a couple of observations:

1. Looks like PSA was charging $25 per pre-80 ticket back in 2003. Looks like $17 now. That's deflation.

2. No one ever collected ticket stubs similar to cards. You may have saved the tickets of the games that you went to but that was it.
  • Options
    So are you thinking the ticket collecting market is flat?
    after a few years of scouring the market I too feel there are very limited tickets available, even world series tickets for example are surprisingly limited.
    you'd think out of the 30,000+ attendance for example a fair number of fans would've saved tickets, not really the case.

the other scenario could be that a very few have even thought to sell tickets, being that its a niche market.
    but id be hard pressed to believe that if the numbers are out there they would've hit the marketplace as with any other antique or collectible there is $ they will come. - but has not been the case..

• Options

<< <i>the other scenario could be that a very few have even thought to sell tickets, being that its a niche market. >>

Personally, I think this is most accurate. I'm sure there are a lot of tickets out there but the people that have them hold onto them. When they eventually pass away, they get sold at an estate sale for very little.

I know certain tickets are worth a lot but I don't see a lot of collectors.

The other issue that turned me off of tickets is that there would sometimes be a person selling hoards of them. They had obviously obtained them from the team. I just felt stupid buying them. There was a guy in the Twin Cities with constant piles of old unsold WHA Fighting Saints hockey tickets. Thought it was a nice item but the supply relative to demand was crazy and this one guy held all of the supply. This is the opposite end of a World Series ticket but thought it was interesting.

• Options
  • Options
    Ok try again. As a ticket collector and dealer when I set up at a show I will get positive feed back about ticket collecting from all ages. As for some ticket brokers, they have a ton of tickets for certain games they are selling. these tickets are sold via internet but they are not hard copy so when something big happens in a game they have a bunch of those tickets to sell. Old tickets in high grade are very hard to come by (and high grade on a PSA scale could be a 5). Its a market that is coming into its own if you watch the auction houses more and more tickets are being offered. I just got back from selling at the Chantilly show in Va. and when a 12 year old kid comes up and is looking for a Koufax ticket (any ticket) that is a good sign!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So are you thinking the ticket collecting market is flat?
    after a few years of scouring the market I too feel there are very limited tickets available, even world series tickets for example are surprisingly limited.
    you'd think out of the 30,000+ attendance for example a fair number of fans would've saved tickets, not really the case.

the other scenario could be that a very few have even thought to sell tickets, being that its a niche market.
    but id be hard pressed to believe that if the numbers are out there they would've hit the marketplace as with any other antique or collectible there is $ they will come. - but has not been the case.. >>

i have been looking for a 2004 Packers at Lions ticket for the last 5+ years. the only one that I have is a ticket master stub that PSA won't grade. i have every other Packers ticket from 1992-2007 but not that one in a PSA slab. whole tickets to NFL games are much rarer to find than many other sports.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Ok try again. As a ticket collector and dealer when I set up at a show I will get positive feed back about ticket collecting from all ages. As for some ticket brokers, they have a ton of tickets for certain games they are selling. these tickets are sold via internet but they are not hard copy so when something big happens in a game they have a bunch of those tickets to sell. Old tickets in high grade are very hard to come by (and high grade on a PSA scale could be a 5). Its a market that is coming into its own if you watch the auction houses more and more tickets are being offered. I just got back from selling at the Chantilly show in Va. and when a 12 year old kid comes up and is looking for a Koufax ticket (any ticket) that is a good sign! >>

Thanks for the feedback. Are the ticket sales increasing and or consistent at the shows?

It seems for the most part the big (rare) ticket dealers on ebay are setting high buy it now prices. I wonder if this deters people from collecting tickets. As there could be money spent elsewhere such as cards.

I personally believe there is upside potential with vintage tickets. But the market needs to grow outside of the usual major auction house offerings. It needs to be more than just a small niche, kind of like vintage "type" photos.

• Options
    Only time will tell where the market goes. If Major ball clubs stop selling tickets (as some have) then the collectability may become more aware in the market place. As for ticket sells at shows, it is increasing and you are finding more dealers trying to play with them.
  • Options
    I had 3 tickets graded & I'm happy with them! 2 are the very first game Lebrun James ever played in the NBA was here in Detroit &(season tickets with it printed on the ticket) I was with my small son ( his first Pistons game ) and the other was my cool first game ever at Comerica Park (season ticket)
  • Options
    Any advice on grading older tickets and/or stubs from less meaningful games? I have a small collection of primarily stubs from various games and concerts -- '60s and '70s. They are somewhat interesting due to event/venue but nothing real special. What's the most affordable approach? Does PSA run specials? Am I wasting money here? Thanks. - Kevin M.
  • Options
    Kevin M,

It's been several months since I've read the forums here so bringing up an old thread.

From the trends I've seen a graded/slabbed ticket doesn't sell for any more than a raw example as long as the condition is right and authenticity is not in question.

It's really personal preference if you like the label and airtight case from PSA.

I can't justify grading my insignificant tickets. I usually slide these into ticket top loaders.

• Options
    Thanks. Just saw this response. Agreed -- top loaders do the job. I haven't seen anything below $18 for pricing. For that price, you can go pick up a few more tickets.