Home Q & A Forum
Options

David----You Got My Curiosity Up.

RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
David-

You got my curiosity up. In the quote below, you explain the mechanical issue deal and use an example from 1986. Though it may be none of my business, I am curious to know the outcome of that situation? Did PCGS have to eat the loss, or was it deemed a mechanical error and the dealer had to eat the loss?

Thanks. Richard.

"A mechanical error is an obvious error. Examples: a clearly mint state frosty surface coin in a proof holder, a 1936 dated coin in a holder that said 1935, a Boone commem in a Texas commem holder, a flat as a pancake band dime in a FB holder, etc. The obvious mechanical error can sometimes be a grade. For example, in 1986 we had a dispute with a dealer because he purchased a MS65 1893-O dollar. The problem was the coin was a bag marked to death MS60 that no one in his right mind would ever consider even MS63 let alone MS65. The guiding concept with mechanical errors is common sense.

David"

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    The guy wanted $10,000 from us, though he paid $650 for the coin. We went to PNG arbitration. He lied thru his teeth and the arbitrators sawed the baby in half and gave him $5,000. Our response was to immediately publish our mechanical error policy ammendment to the PCGS grading guarantee and inform the PNG that we would never again arbitrate a grading matter.