Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

62 Fleer killing me!

I'm having the hardest time adding to my '62 Fleer football set. I'm just over 60%, but nearly every card that comes up goes for more than double SMR. I've only managed to pick up 2 cards in the last two weeks, after queueing a dozen snipes at roughly double SMR. Most are not low pops, at least by '62 Fleer standards where 85% of the set has less than 10 graded 8+. In the past two weeks:

#31 PSA 8 $32 128%
#38 PSA 8 $34 213%
#59 PSA 8 $77.76 97%
#29 PSA 9 $293.88 534%
#73 PSA 8 $36 225%
#87 PSA 8 $39.88 249%
#50 PSA 8 $19.99 125%
#30 PSA 8 $23.50 147%
#43 PSA 8 $29 181%
#56 PSA 8 $12.50 78%
#57 PSA 8 $33 206%
#67 PSA 8 $36.92 231%
#68 PSA 8 $48 120%
#72 PSA 8 $67.76 104%
#75 PSA 8 $40 250%
#76 PSA 8 $39 244%
#77 PSA 8 $32.56 204%
#86 PSA 8 $104.49 261%

Am I just going to have to suck it up and pay triple SMR or more?

Joe
No such details will spoil my plans...

Comments

• Options
    If you want to complete the set you probably will have to pay those prices. I would not worry to much about SMR right now because I think it's too low. I think the commons should be priced around $30. The cards, in any condition, are not easy to find and the centering makes it even tougher. I think you will see the SMR gradually rise. A price that may now be double SMR will not be when SRM catches up with the market.

Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with 62 Fleer, but my impression is that SMR for early 60's football is significantly out of whack. I'm at about 75% on the 61 Topps set. SMR for commons in PSA 8 is $14-18. Almost every common I've seen sell over the past six months has been at least 150% of SMR, and many at 2x or 3x. I've picked up a few for less than $20 when noone else was bidding, but on amost contested auctions commons are selling for $30+
    John Vineyard

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Joe - As you know,
    all it takes is for two or three of us to decide to go after a set,
    and then you can throw the SMR out the window.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    As i have said before the SMR is only a GUIDE! The cards are worth what your willing to pay for them. I collect the 1963 Topps Football set and the SMR for PSA 8 commons is $20............well i have almost 50% or the set and i haven't been able to buy a single card for SMR! I've been able to pick up a few at the $30-$35 range but the most of them have cost me $45+ and i've paid as much as $80.00 for commons (thats 4x SMR)!

The SMR for PSA 9's is $70, i have three in my set and i've paid between $150 and $230 for each...........there again the SMR means nothing when it comes to building sets.

IMO if you plan on finnishing your 62 Fleer set anytime soon you will have to start bidding 3-4x SMRimage

Good luck with your set!

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    Thing is, for the relatively low prices/card you're looking at, and especially with a small set, "double" vs. "triple" SMR is only a matter of $10-15. You can see the prices some of the '60s baseball gets - commons going for hundreds where SMR is $20 or so, so I guess that's some solace. But realistically, the only question that needs be answered is whether these prices are unsustainable blips, or real benchmarks. Considering how hard the '60s Fleer football is, I tend to think the latter. And it's a lot easier to see people coming in (i.e. new people working on a set) @ $30-40/common if the set is under 100 cards, than if it's a 500+ card behemouth.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I already knew the answer, I just didn't want to admit it to myself image. Beefcake, it might not be a 792 card set, but paying double book takes it from a $2000 set to a $4000 set. Paying triple adds another $2000, now that's nothing to sneeze at image

Joe
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    prices may be lower after the october registry rush.
    patience.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    I agree with my buddy PC that it should be better after the "October rush" to some degree. But a quick scan of the registry sets and the pop report will show that it may not be good anytime soon. There appear to be about 10 people actively working on sets from this year at the moment with some potentially struggling for the deadline. This level of activity matched with pops of 10 or less in 8 on most cards does put the supply demand out of whack for the short term. You can take a break and switch sets for a while (the 63 Fleer set seems to be on sale at the moment with many of the key cards drawing less than SMR and sometimes by a lot) or fight through with the $.
    I have picked up about 10 in the last few weeks in 8 so it can be done but everything was 2X SMR. Wolfbear. as always is right, this set is hot at the moment. So good luck with whatever you decide.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    WELL thought i would chime in here since this set is on my list for the comming year.So i hope it cools down but with me jumping in another player in the mix does not speak well for that. OCT rush or not i say they stay hot. SUPERPUNK i seem to recall some guy who sold you a few 63,s at smr image. gl to all come oct 31.On another note please contact wolfbear or myself for your applacation in THE FEAR THE FUZZ CLUB.The faster then the FUZZ man adds sets the faster the membership grows image
  • Options
    Quit your wineing, alot of those cards are still pretty cheap! I see a bunch of $30. cards in there, and even lower than that. sheesh! Just pay it and complete the set. I don't use the SMR, there prices are not accurate.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks for the sage advice Jery. I'll quit my "wineing" presently.

Joe