Home Q & A Forum
Options

Cameo proofs: 1936-1942

David,

First, I would like to thank you for spending part of your Tuesday evenings on line with us. It is much appreciated.

Cameo proofs from the 1936-1942 era seem to be rare. PCGS has designated only 66 such coins for all denominations in any grade, an average of less than two per denomination per year. Over half of these cameos are Lincoln cents (37) and over half of those cents are from 1942 (20).

1) Do you think these cameos are as rare as the populations suggest? Why?

One hypothesis for the relatively large number of cameo cents is that the "wheat back" is virtually ignored in determining cameo designations for cents for all years. For 1936-1942 there are one-sided cameos for all denominations, but except for cents, they don't receive the cameo designation.

2) Does this hypothesis seem plausible/probable given your experience?

Thanks for your time,

CoolKarma

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    I believe that 1936-1942 Cameos are the rarest of all U.S. proof coins in Cameo. They are absolutely as rare as the population suggests. I'm not sure why there seems to be more cents. In my experience, the dimes and halves are the "easiest," though that's not really the right word. I believe the quarters are super rare.

David