Home Q & A Forum

Walk us through the thought process

Good evening David:

One of the things we discuss often on the boards are the characteristics that one looks at on a coin when trying to determine genuine toning from AT.

Could you walk us through the process you use to determine whether a coin such as a Morgan dollar is genuinely toned or AT? And while you're at it - is there any type of toning that gives you fits trying to determine whether it's real or AT?

Thanks!

Frank

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    I think the graders all have their own individual methods for arriving at an AT opinion. I know that PCGS Director of Grading Ron Howard always talks about the way the color "lays" on the coin. Personally, I base my opinion on my 42 years of looking at coins and I always ask myself if i remember seeing a certain color/shade/look 30 years ago. There are simply colors on coins now that I never saw 20 years ago. Add to that the fact that on those coins the color does "lay" weird...does intermingle with the other colors weird...and I believe the coins are AT.

Sometimes the doctors will add a little toning to an already naturally toned coin in an attempt to improve eye appeal or conceal some minor abraisions. To me, those coins just look funny.

AT is a complicated issue. I'm sure we ocassionally shot some innocent bystanders, but I think we should be tough on the issue and body bag whenever the color looks too funky to be true.

David