Home Q & A Forum

PCGS Guarantee with regards to Provenance

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
Hello Mr. Hall,

Recently, there was a big stink regarding whether or not a particular Norweb coin had been correctly identified. As a result, I began to wonder how PCGS could guarantee a coins provenance.

When questioning a coins authenticity or grade, the coin can be resubmitted to PCGS and reevaluated. This is not a problem since authenticity and grade always travel with the coin.

However, if one questions the provenance, how does PCGS confirm this? Does PCGS keep a file on all coins that have a provenance attached to them? It seems to me that there must be a paper trail of some kind or else the guarantee is meaningless.

Thank you for your time.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    There are only four instances when we can pedigree a coin as far as I'm concerned.

1. The coin is from a famous, "name" auction and it is pictured in the catalog and the coin clearly matches the photo.

2. The coin is from a famous, "name" auction and it is in a sealed auction company flip (holder.) This doesn't happen much anymore as most auctions have certified coins.

3. The coin is from a collection or set that is in the PCGS Set Registry and the owner of the set sends the entire set in for pedigree to his collection.

4. The coin is from a famous "find" or hoard and we have specific information that the coins being pedigreed are the actual discovery coins. An example would be the gold coins from the SS Central America ship wreck.

David0