Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stupid copper questions

I'm not a collector of copper coins, but have been looking to add an Indian cent to my type set and wanted to ask some stupid questions before I plunk down good money on a coin.

I've always wondered about the BN, RB, and RD designation. Are these just different amounts of toning on copper coins (in which case why are copper coins different than silver coins in carrying this designation), or is it something different? Will a copper coin (not protected) eventually become BN? Also, I've noticed that many RB coins look as pretty or prettier than some RD coins, yet sell for a fraction of the price. Am I unique in thinking the RB is the better buy? Or are all but RD coins generally shunned by serious copper collectors?

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Pcgs's definitions.

Red
    Term used for a copper coin that still retains 95 percent or more of its original mint bloom or color. PCGS allows only slight mellowing of color for this designation (RD).

Red-Brown
    A copper coin that has from 5 to 95 percent of its original mint color remaining (RB).

Brown
    The term applied to a copper coin that no longer has the red color of copper. There are many "shades" of brown color – mahogany, chocolate, etc. (abbreviated as BN when used as part of a grade).

Will a red coin become brown eventually. Depending on how it is stored yes it can.

Buy what you like. If what you prefer costs less then that's better for you.

• << <i>I'm not a collector of copper coins, but have been looking to add an Indian cent to my type set and wanted to ask some stupid questions before I plunk down good money on a coin.

I've always wondered about the BN, RB, and RD designation. Are these just different amounts of toning on copper coins (in which case why are copper coins different than silver coins in carrying this designation), or is it something different? Will a copper coin (not protected) eventually become BN? Also, I've noticed that many RB coins look as pretty or prettier than some RD coins, yet sell for a fraction of the price. Am I unique in thinking the RB is the better buy? Or are all but RD coins generally shunned by serious copper collectors? >>

Red is the prefered choice for copper. Red also gets you bonus points for your registry set.
    You can find red/brown coins that look close to red for less $$$$ than Red.
    BUT, red is red. If ya can afford red, red is the way to go!
    I've just started collecting Large Cents and all my coins are brown. I believe brown is the worst "investment" (gawd, I hate to use that word with coins!) of the three. Serious collectors will prefer red and those coins will command the best price.
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    These are all very similar in color, and the luster is booming! The last time I submitted a copper cent to PCGS it came back genuine due to color. I didn't want to start a new thread for a stupid copper question imageimageimage so here's a picture, do these look (the ones on the right) to be original and do they look like they'd grade just based on the color of the obverse images?

Thanks for the help!

• deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    TTT
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Be aware that these color designations are not used for the flying eagle cent or the indian cent from 1859-1964.

I guess these designactions came about years ago (been around as long as I have). Silver coins can be dipped, and in allot of cases not wrecked. To my knowledge, copper coin's original color can never really be restored and look convincing, so i guess that is why they never came up with a way to grade/class silver coins according to color???
    Anyway, in the past, toned (tarnised) silver coins were considered ruined and not worthy, however, toned copper was okay because there was no way to clean it, and copper was consideded more reative the silver and nothing could be done about it. As a side note, there used to be STERN warnings about collecting copper, enough so, that i have stayed away from it , like gold, forever. image
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    ^^^^typo- should be 1864.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file