Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So is bluemooncoins running a scam on ebay?

I was just doing some searching on ebay and I saw an interesting bid of $19.95 on a coin that is worth about $2 on a good day. I looked at the bidder and I see that he has ZERO wins and is a new user. So I do search on him and find out that he has bid on 43 coins, and 30+ of them have been for bluemoon coins? I also checked on some of their other "bidders", and some look just as supspicous. Have I just been living in NYC too long or is this a scam?

Just looks fishy to me.

Comments

• Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    If the information you have provided in your post is accurate, then it certainly doesn't look good. I wouldn't have thought they would stoop to such tactics, yet you never know. I'll take a little time to look into it.

• Options
    He sells NTC and SEGS coins,sells slabs and says there worth 1000 times what they really are,and can be proud to say they have 102 neutrals and 68 negetive feedback.Yup,hes down there with Alan Hager.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    IMO, their stuff is overgraded.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I just happened to be looking at error coins when this one pops up saying "DRAMTIC LINCOLN CENT ERROR", or something like that.

I click on the link. It happened to be BlueMoonCoins. I figure, okay, I will still look. The coin was graded by NTC as MS63RB. The coin itself??? A no date off centered cent. As you state, worth $2.00 on a normal day. Had that zero feedback bidder, too.

But, think about it. Why would they have a zero feedbacker bid on an item that has no bids as it is?????? You think they want to pay the extra fees? Maybe it is legit. Remember your first auction experience?

Not defending them, just playing Devil's Advocate. image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW,you think hes in the class of a N.Y. sewer rat?image.Al
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    eBay is a little weird sometimes. On Wednesday I listed a batch of 45 auctions. Very shortly after the listings went up, a zero feedback newbie bid in all 45 of them. If I didn't know better, I'd accuse myself of using a shill. He's since acquired a couple feedbacks from two other sellers, but it sure looked suspicious for a day or so.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know who this guy is, he runs a small shop out of Vancouver, Washington. I have stopped in thier before by accident. when I used to travel out west.

He try's to push garbage on to you like its the last coin youll ever find.

• Options
    eBay is a little weird sometimes.

I sell WWI posters on eBay, and teach a class on eBay as well. I, too, have a bidder on most of my auctions that has NEVER won but consistantly bids. Last week during my second class, I put three posters up during class, and sure enough, the same person bid again. When I do a search on his/her name, they often bid on other auctions as well and NEVER win.

Anne
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Placing bids on items, for some people, is a form of free entertainment. I shud know.
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    I've seen him sell "mystery lots" of 20 pcgs slabs for upwards of $300...getting rid of garbage I guess
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hello, hello

man, i like swimming against the forum tide!! i just recieved this coin from BlueMoon in the mail Friday-----an unattributed Type 1, very obvious in the listing picture. apparently ICG never notes Type 1-2 on the holder and the seller is either unaware of the variety or doesn't care.

my point, they seem to get kicked around here, even i've cracked on the photo of the guy reading, but why not just try to snag whatever nice coins come down the pike?? they communicated well, shipped quickly and posted positive feedback. in essence, the perfect transaction when you realize that with the aid of some Blue Magic slab cleaner i can now clearly see the coin, properly graded at PR68. my gain, there loss.

i suddenly realize i like that seller very, very much and will put them on my favorites list!!! image

al h.image

oh yeah, did i mention that it's always best to buy the coin regardless of the service that slabbed it or the dealer that's selling it??
  • Options
    I have bought from them too.... no sweat.....

Hard to ever tell a coin from a picture.... (I gotta have my loop to feel confident.) But I would say you could crack that sucker out and send it in to PCGS and be happy with what you get back....
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Keets- A very, very early ICG holder and a real bargain at that price. Congrats! Great to know that there are other collectors out there looking for diamonds in the rough.

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    i have bought several items from them..............raw and certified...........all have been positive transactions...including the returns.

I think if you look hard enough you can find good bargains with blue moon
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I found a good deal with them also, a very clean 20 cent piece in pcgs 64 for WAY below CDN, as in XF moneyimage
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    And he looks so scholarly. image

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

al h.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    SFDukieSFDukie Posts: 618
    another bm lazarus act- just to get in keets' point as well...
    Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, these resuscitations are makin' my head spin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to look at the date twice before I realized this was brought back from the dead...

and keets' comment is dead on, as usual...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Several years ago I did a colonial TRADE deal with them that went very well. I liked them.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    blue moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

you set my heart on fire

you are my hearts desire

blue mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon
  • Options
    Gather your info and report it to ebay.
  • Options
    Dang ....... October 2003!
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    Bluemooncoins must have a lot of fun posting some of their aucions. Here's a current one which they keep relisting for a worn 1874 dime they call "Hidden CC".

Their numismatic writer may have been "collecting, writing, and trading since 1962" but it's been a few years since he turned a page in that book.

My one experience on eBay with this seller was great service but grading so optimistic that I still kick myself for not knowing any better back then.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file