Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Old Judge

Let us begin!

Comments

• baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭
    Another thing, if any of you are currently working on any of the sets we discuss please post the link to your registry. It'd be great to see your actual cards. I am working on scanning my '59's so when we discuss that set I can show mine.

Thanks again everyone for all your support!
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Mine are all Pink image
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    One of the most interesting things about the set is that I do not believe a comprhensive checklist of all the possible players, names, teams, poses, etc. are currently catalogued. There has never been an undertaking to this day as extensive as the Old Judge one nearly 120 years ago. Even Old Judge heavyweights like Olbermann have been known to spend thousands in a snipe bidding war on a trimmed Old Judge simply because it may have been one of the only one, two or three known copies of a particular pose to exist.

Information is sparse -- as most of the heavyweights have not shared all of their knowledge. Scott Brockleman is probably one of the most helpful people I know regarding the set -- he truly knows what he is talking about.

Another thing -- you can't make a serious dent in putting this together for under six figures -- and that is talking irrespective of condition.

Final thought: MW's PSA 9 King Kelly from the set is one of the nicest Old Judge cards I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. There is another PSA 9 of the card which is clearly inferior. Though I have never seen the SGC 98 that was pulled from a pack -- the King Kelly has such awesome contrast and clarity that it truly seems out of this world.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Actually, I believe the SCD bigbook checklist of a few years ago was pretty exhaustive--more than 2000 cards. Complete that baby and I doubt anyone would consider your set much if at all less than complete. IMHO, you'd likely spend 7 figures to do so, even in VG.

Also, I believe that most OJ collectors will tell you that scarcity is a relative issue--generally they're all scarce, and just because a new card is discovered from time to time does not make it exceedingly more difficult than many others.

Lipset's book is am ust for a new OJ Collector. Breaks down the subsets nicely, the various years, and has lots of great info and pics. This set is the granddaddy of them all. If you've got a must complete a set at all costs attitude, well, you've got a huge problem getting into these.
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    What a great set this is!

Most remaining cards have not found their way into card hoilders yet. They are almost never seen at major shows and almost never seen in major auctions. So far 568 graded by psa and 43 are psa 8 or better. I have one psa 8 and one psa 6. I would like to know who has the best ungraded Old Judge collection and when I have the time will search the Network54 Board for some information.

Davalilllo
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Someone had about 300 OJ's (Trevor Hocking maybe) at the last Hollywood Park show, all newly graded (in SGC holders). Terry Knouse (Tik and Tik) always seems to have a pile of them as well. The only thing I"ve noticed in the past is that the grading companies (PSA and SGC) seem to grade them by the corners and not by the eye appeal- a card with sharp corners but no contrast (faded image) will get a higher grade than a really snappy image with a little bit of corner wear. There was a thread about this and the pinkness of some on the 54 board a while back.
    BTW, I still need McPhee and Conner to finish my HOF set- anyone got an extra of either one laying around?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Common OJ problems (or so I'm told), being pink toning and hand cutting which leaves them looking miscut by today's standards:
  • srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Here is a link to a set on the SGC registry -- the owner has roughly 100 cards and all of them are scanned. I really enjoyed looking at these cards -- talk about another time and place!image

SGC Old Judge Set
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    That was who had them at Hollywood Park- Trevor Hocking. I think he said he had a bunch more in for grading. They looked really nice on the black mattes, all lined up. Can't imagine what that lot cost!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• dunerduner Posts: 625
    i saw this one on ebay last year and just had to buy it. these cards are awesome in nm and better conditions. i remembered having reprints as a kid...and ironically this card looks nicer than the reprints i used to have. curious what psa would grade it??? as all the grades are 8 or better except the 6.5 on the corners. as was said earlier, i'd never try to build a set of them. this will be the only example that ever makes it to my collection.

Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    i collect the pete gillispie cards i have one right now gai 2. he's the only professional baseball player from my home town. i try to get them without skinning and without that much surface damage, i really only collect these for myself. to try to put this set together would be impossible. i think gillispie has atleast 3 poses that i've seen so far, that a lot of variations. it's a great set to look at though.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started