Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice Cameo Proof Indian Head Cent

Just learning how to take pictures with my digital camera & here's my 1st attempt. Note that coin is mark free, the smutzy marks are on the holder or light reflection. NOTE: I'm very new at this - so my apologies for the so-so quality of the photo.

IF you'd like give me your "grade" for this coin, later in the week I'll post what it is.

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
Newmismatist

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty good for the first pics.

I cant offer too much advice as I am still learning.

Lighting is key.... Try outdoors at dawn or dusk, especially on a cloudy or foggy day.

John
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a super nice coin. The pictures need to be a little brighter though but for your first try you did pretty good. mike image
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin and you've got a better picture than I can get out of my old camera.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    That looks like my kind of IHC!!!

Are you using a camera stand or tripod? I find I just can't hold my camera still enough so always use a tripod...
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics for your first attempt! Proofs are really hard to capture nicely. If you figure out how to do it, let me know.

Looks like a 66 or 67R.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    grate coin
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    my guess is PR 65 CAM - looks like some hairlines on reverse

what kind of camera ?- we might have some ideas for you to try
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    Very nice IHC! Your pics were much better than my first attempts. If you haven't already done so, search the threads, there's a lot of advice from people who have graciously given their time to post it. I did this a couple of weeks ago and my pics look way better than ever, and I spent very little money doing so - couple of lamps and some reveal bulbs have really helped. I used to wait until a cloudy, late, afternoon and run outside with my coins. Kind of a hassle, but worth the looks I got from passersby. Proofs still ain't easy...
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    Camera's an HP Photosmart 850 - Used the macro setting but still couldn't get close enough so I cropped the picture to show just the coin.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    For your sake I hope its the 68RD Cam.image
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭

<< <i>looks like some hairlines on reverse >>

Sinin 1

The coin is hairline free, both obverse & reverse

(I think what appears to be "lines" on the reverse image is either light reflection from the angle of the lighting source & the camera angle OR slight camera movement by the inept picture taker. Unfortunately I was not using a tripod because I couldn't get the lighting angle, so I held the coin, tilted it so there was no glare from the light source & took the picture when I got that little sucker to focus with the macro setting - VERRRY low tech for this "high tech" camera - I wish Shylock lived close by)

Newmismatist
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful proof Newmis, copper proofs are a really tough coin to start practicing with your camera on. Two years later I'm still just practicing on those. Now you can appreciate Heritage's difficulty in imaging your wonderful IH proof collection last winter!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Back off on the jpg compression a little and the pictures will look nicer.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    looks like a really NICE original coin

and from the scan i have seen others in person that look like this in the scan and in person they are even better knock out coins

i think this coin is one of them! a really sweet original coin that i bet looks much MUCH better in person

also a nice cameo!

michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file