Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading Service Rankings -- Your Input Requested...

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks for your previous guidance & comments about Grading Services.

How about SEGS? Are they a reliable & reputable grading service?

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They have the best slab. Nicely designed and very tough to crack out.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Despite the fact that they have the best holder in the industry, their grading is horrible, particularly the quantity of PVC and AT coins that reside in their holders. Market acceptablity is very poor. They are on the same level as PCI.

Here is the order again in quality.

PCGS
    NGC
    ANACS
    ICG
    PCI/SEGS
    NTC
    ACG
  • Options
    Brian: Thanks very much for your comments about SEGS, and especially for the grading service relative rankings.

I will jot this down for future reference...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    "Brian" has nailed it..... Including the order of the grading services!image
  • Options
    Brian and others:

Would it be a fair assessment to group the grading services into quality tiers as follows:

- Tier 1 Top Quality: PCGS & NGC

- Tier 2 Reliable Quality: ANACS & ICG

- Tier 3 Variable Quality: PCI/SEGS

- Tier 4 Unreliable Quality: NTC & ACG

Stuart

• Options
    Stuart:
    You hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    Stuart:
    I now only stick to PCGS and NGC, why bother with the others? Why not have the best?
  • Options

<< <i>Stuart:
    I now only stick to PCGS and NGC, why bother with the others? Why not have the best? >>

Damn nailed it again!!!imageimageimage
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    PCGS, NGC, ANACS in that order any other holder and I would consider it raw. mike image
  • Options
    Thanks Russ, Puff, WingedLiberty, and DarkTone! That's exactly the info that I was seeking.

I appreciate your guidance and your feedback.

Stuart

• Options
    I would have to put SEGS above ICG!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Here's some rankings from an amateur. I only know about grading from what I
    read here. All my Morgans are ANACS graded and I'm satisfied with their service.
    I have coins graded by PCGS and by NGC and I'm pleased with them also. That's
    probably because I couldn't tell the difference between a AU 58 and a MS 63! image

Alex

I collect Morgans in any grade. I just luv that dollar.
    Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>- Tier 2 Reliable Quality: ANACS & ICG >>

I would not put ICG in the reliable quality category. They're reasonable in Morgans, but they positively suck in proof moderns. They may be okay in other coins, but those are the two I have experience in with them.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PCGS is #1

The rest are not nearly as good and should be avoided.

Stick to PCGS. They are the best coins! They sell for the most money!
    WORKING ON SEVERAL MODERN SETS. PCGS COINS ONLY FOR ME!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FOM- I have some butt ugly PCGS coins... since they're the best, want to buy them at full retail value?

PCGS, NGC, and ANACS can all be good... but they can screw up... just know what you're buying, and if you can see the coin, all the better.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>FOM- I have some butt ugly PCGS coins... since they're the best, want to buy them at full retail value?

PCGS, NGC, and ANACS can all be good... but they can screw up... just know what you're buying, and if you can see the coin, all the better.

Jeremy >>

I'm sure the butt ugly PCGS coins are much better than the same grade butt ugly NGC coins.

I have also never seen a butt ugly coin in a PCGS slab in the series I collect. I'm not totally convinced they exist in a PCGS slab. They were probably all sent to the other services to get really high grades.
    WORKING ON SEVERAL MODERN SETS. PCGS COINS ONLY FOR ME!
  • Options
    This post has nothing to do with what the coins look like. If the coin is ugly, or beautiful is irrelavent. What matters is which company accurately and most consistently grades the best. The answer in my opinion is:
    1. PCGS
    2. NGC and ANACS
    3. ICG
    4. SEGS, PCI and NTC
    100. ACG.

I have attempted to crossover (at any level) NGC, ANACS, ICG, SEGS, PCI and NTC. I have never received a did not cross (DNC) (equivalent to a body bag for already slabbed coins) for NGC, ANACS, SEGS or NTC. I have received DNCs for ICG and PCI. I don't waste my time on ACG.

NGC is usually (about 50%) one point off of (lower than) PCGS. ANACS is the same.

ICG has been (almost 100%) one to two points off of (lower than) PCGS. Like I said a couple of DNCs.

SEGS has been (almost 100%) two points off of (lower than) PCGS. However, no DNCs. So, that indicates to me they are good at determining if a coin (Morgan in my case) is cleaned or damaged, etc.

NTC has been 100% one to two points off of (lower than) PCGS. However, no DNCs. It just means they consistently grade too high, but still capable of discerning a cleaned or damaged coin (Morgan in my case).

PCI has been 100% one to two points off of (lower than) PCGS. Like I said a few DNCs - more than the rest.

Numonebuyer

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Numonebuyer, I wonder what the outcome would be if we tried crossing PCGS holders to NGC or ANACS or even ACG?

• Options
    When I joined the boards it became obvious that PCGS was the grader of choice.
    Every graded coin I now own is slabbed PCGS.
    Thanks to threads like this I wouldn't reject an NGC coin if it presented itself.
    They seem slightly less pricey and besides, it opens up a lot more availability.
    Thanks for the rundown.

Skipper
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS is my my service of preference.

PCGS
    NGC

ANACS
    ICG

PCI/SEGS

Not worth ranking the others

• Options
    Brian has the order rightimage
    Michael
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Brian-why the negativism on SEGS? Surely you don't really rank them down there with PCI and NTC?
    You seem to be one of the most consistent detractors.Why?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file