Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****Attention everyone that cares about the pop reports!!!!****

quote from David Hall in the Q&A

Ken asked where to send in certification tags

<< <i>Ken...Send them to us and we'll take them off the Pop Report and credit your account for 50 cents per tag. >>

I hope they make a formal announcement of this so the pop reports can get to a semi respectable level of accuracy

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am very disappointed with how inaccurate the pop reports are, I doubt that 50 cents per tag is going t make much of a difference. If collectors/dealers are not interested in sending in tags for the integrity of the pop data, which it appears that many are not, a small financial incentive will make not matter.
  • Options
    baby steps

I will be sending in my 100 or so I have.
  • Options
    Rarity is a relative thing. The numbers, relative to each other, still give huge amounts of info to the user.

Furthermore, someone with a background in statistics could make predictions about numbers of regrades which could be applied to pop reports which when so done would allow the info to be interpreted.

Lastly, the larger the database grows, the more useful it is.
  • Options
    well spoken as usual

and welcome back!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    With all the crackouts that have gone on for years, it's too late to get any accuracy back, even if tags are now returned. The only grade that may be close to accurate is the top grade. Even there, coins have probably been cracked back and forth between NGC and PCGS, so those are probably skewed also. As they say in computer programming, garbage in, garbage out.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Hmmmmm, the Anaconda must have been feeding all this time.

Good to see you back Adrian, and hear your wise words.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Though, I have never paid much attention to POP reports or the registry madness. I find this a step in the right direction, but I doubt that very much accuracy will be achieved in the lower POP coins. I am sure in the common 64 , 65, 66s some change will be made. However many grades that were cracked out never made it higher or lower, so the net effect will be zilch.

Still a step in the right direction.

But after looking at the CU financial report today, I think that I would demand cash or stamps, no checks, no credit.....LOL

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all relative, and the internet is becoming a big help with the true rarities. There is more out there now than just the pop reports. For instance, there are three PCGS PR66CAM 1942 Lincolns. I have one of them. The other two have come up for auction recently, and I copied scans of them off the auction sites. Therefore, I have pictures of all three. Same with 1909vdb PR66RB's. There are others that I am compiling data on. There is confirmation of the pops out there if you patiently watch the internet. For those coins where there are 25 or more, the absolute accuracy of the pop report data is immaterial.

If I decided to sell my 42 in PR66CAM, I would show you pictures of all three and you would see that mine was the nicest of the three. Then you might pay true value for the coin.
    Doug
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least now 2004 coins will have the right pops when people crack them for the 70 image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file