Home U.S. Coin Forum

What has been the worst way you have recieved a coin?

One time,my uncle ordered a 20$ Saint Guardians Double Eagle and it came to him in an envelope with no protection covering the coin.... image

Comments

• Seven capped bust half dollars in a ziploc baggie, then in a plain manila envelope...!!!!!!

• wrapped (if you can call it that) with one thickness of notebook paper and scotch taped..... Not even in a 2x2........ a circ coin under $50, but hard to justify the sellers $3 s/h. I was surprised it didnt slam its way thru the plain white envelope !
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Had a similar story, but with a different coin.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a 77 IHC on the front porch in a rain soaked envelope. image
    Larry

• << <i>How about a 77 IHC on the front porch in a rain soaked envelope. image >>

OUCH!
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Scotch taped to a piece of cardboard.
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    $145 face in BU cents from the 50s and 60s shipped in bags inside a cardboard box that weighed at least 90 lbs. I had expected at least they'd roll them.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    A slab unprotected and loose in a box. No insurance. The coin cost several hundred! Sent it back registered mail. Lost $12.00 on the deal.
    Mark
  • A torn manilla envelope(no padding)containing two empty flips and two St. Gaudens double eagles lying in the bottom of the metal mailbox!!!image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • The worst coin shipment was an empty envelope with a note fro the Post Office - something like "Damaged in Transit"

This week I received 6 slabs that had been set out flat on a table and then masking tape was crisscrossed all over both sides and they were then shoved into a bubble mailer. Before this I have had to take a sharp knife to the packaging but the slab &/or coin was safe. This is the first time I have ever received any shipped simply taped togetherimage

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one large, dollar-sized silver coin come in a legal envelope with nothing else inside. It had slid back and forth and actually torn open one corner of the envelope. Seeing this, I was totally amazed to find the coin still inside... just barely.

I've gotten coins wrapped with several layers of tape across them, too, and from people who actually profess to be collectors or dealers, who should have known better. No problem about these comin' out of the envelope- the problem there was the opposite- one time it took me ten minutes with a knife to cut them off the cardboard they were taped to, and it was hard not to damage them in the process. Then I had to use acetone to get the adhesive from the tape off their surfaces. image

And it was a member of these forums, believe it or not. Don't ask me who- I don't remember, anyway. It was a year or two back.

While minimalist packaging is far worse, it sometimes can be annoying to get something from somebody who is an overzealous packager. I got a gold sovereign once in a brand new PCGS slab, and it was very professionally packaged. TOO professionally, perhaps. First, the package was in a box big enough to ship a whole book in, sealed with double layers of heavy duty strapping tape that I had to cut with a knife, as it was impossible to peel off. Fine- it's good to be safe. But then there was an ocean of styrofoam peanuts, which I am convinced are the invention of Satan himself, though my cats do find them entertaining. Once I had gotten through a cubic foot of those, here was a wallet-sized cocoon of bubble wrap, which would have been fine, if it had been wrapped with rubber bands or regular Scotch tape or something, but no- it had two more layers of that damn bulletproof strapping tape (y'know, the stuff with the fibers in it?). There was no way I was gonna be able to get that out without cutting it. I should have used scissors, but since I still had the knife out from the first two layers of tape outside the box, I used it to cut the tape off the bubble wrap, and though I was trying to be careful, I still put a nasty scratch across the reverse of the slab, which was reflected in the mirrolike surfaces of the coin. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • A 3CN sent to me in a damaged 2x2 sent bare in a business envelope with a 37c stamp was the worst way I've received a coin. The seller charged $2.50 for shipping.

Hmmmmfffff image
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure which one is worse.
    I had 7 coins shipped to me taped to an index card. Took me a while to get the tape residue off of them.image
    The other involved the postman handing me a package in a blastic bag. Seems our post office burned down. The package was burned along one edge, but the entire package was mush due to water damage. Luckily the coin survived without damage.image

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • I had 5 SAE's in 2x2 flips that were loose in a regular business size envelope. They had all slid to one end and partially tore the evelope open (it was taped up a bit at some point). There was a stamp on the envelope that said "damaged in shipping", or something like that. I couldn't believe all 5 eagles were still in it.

• << <i>wrapped (if you can call it that) with one thickness of notebook paper and scotch taped..... >>

I got one of those too!
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Scotch taped to a piece of cardboard.

ascareysherry used ta sell his coins like that on ebay...only bought from him once...never again

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Morgan dollar mailed to me once with my address glued to the obverse of the coin and the postage stamps glued to the reverse.

The Postal Cancellation barely fit, right below the Eagle.
    It took me hours to peel and soak the stamps and label off that Morgan.

peacockcoins

• I received a pcgs slabbed coin from some fellow in Boston. He used clear packaging tape on the reverse of the slab so it held against a piece of cardboard. Therefore, the glue on the tape distorted the whole reverse of the slabbed coin. WHAT A KNUCKLEHEAD! However, I'm probably more of a knucklehead because I got so pissed off that this glue was stuck on the back that I used about a frikin' gallon of acetone, or a reasonable facsimile, to remove the glue, thus screwing it up even more... image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    As inheritance
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I've had no problems with shipped coins. There are some coins I want in the "worst way" but noone has sent me one yet.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I got one once where the guy had used super glue (or something like it) to seal his cardboard closed.... it got all over the slab and messed it up bad.... I sent it back to him and made him have that sucker put in a new holder.
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • The coin was placed in a tri-folded 8 1/2 x 11 eBay auction receipt. Since it was in the middle of the tri-fold, the seller stapled each end to trap it there. It was then placed in a normal envelope and shipped. No cardboard, no padding, no nothing was used.

Numonebuyer
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I know that this is a coin forum and not a paper money forum, but I have one that takes the cake. As a youngster, our Labrador puppy ate one of my father's one dollar bills and I rescued it from atop the pile.image
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One seller sent me a bulk lot of stuff in a Hallmark gift box (with the automatic bottom, real thin cardboard), and one piece of tape around it. I think maybe I got half of what I was supposed to. I've also had a couple of knuckleheads send coins taped to cardboard. One fellow charged me $4 S/H for a used Saf-T Mailer and a $.37 stamp.

I've also had a couple of Post Office body bags, see below. These are why, when I ship, I always insist on paying the $.12 upcharge for a "non-machine cancellable letter."

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    My worst was a conder token that was just placed inside a regular envelope. I traveling it had torn a hole in the end of the envelope and when it arrived it was hanging halfway out of the envelope. I picked up the envelope, gave it a gentle shake and the token finished tearing through the envelope and dropped into my hand. If that had gone through one more set of hands I would probably have received an empty envelope.
  • In an envelope marked "Coast To Coast." I think PaigowJohnny will relate.
  • I bought a '44 PCGS slabbed penny that was GLUED to a cardboard backing. It looked like regular white Elmers glue.

I sent it back ASAP, with a nasty letter.

Av.
    No sane man will dance. - Cicero
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    My worst was when I won 3 Morgan PR65 Proofs at a Heritage auction. They Fed-Exed the coins, Fed Ex left the envelope (unsigned) on the porch, the wind blew it into the bushes and it got covered by snow. After 4 months of runarounds with Heritage (they showed the package as delivered, so no insureance in effect!), the snow melted and I found the package. After 4 months being covered by snow, the coins were just fine in their little coffins!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Wrapped in newspaper.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    "My worst was when I won 3 Morgan PR65 Proofs at a Heritage auction. They Fed-Exed the coins, Fed Ex left the envelope (unsigned) on the porch, the wind blew it into the bushes and it got covered by snow. After 4 months of runarounds with Heritage (they showed the package as delivered, so no insureance in effect!), the snow melted and I found the package. After 4 months being covered by snow, the coins were just fine in their little coffins!"

Wow!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I received a registered box from NGC totally opened. Surprisingly enough all the coins were there and I didn't even get a body bag.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    4 months with snow on the ground?

I am soooo glad I live in Houston.

• << <i>In an envelope marked "Coast To Coast." I think PaigowJohnny will relate. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file