Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Jeff Proof Gang: Mixed bag of grades received today

Submissions 3115443 and 3090354, club and set-completion freebies, slabbed in 20 calendar days:

1938 PR-66: Nice, mark-free surfaces with a golden tone. Expected PR-65 due to a couple of small carbon spots. image

1940 PR-66:
I had high hopes for this $43 raw coin, thinking it would go 67. A beautiful mosaic of purple, blue and red overlaying both sides, giving it a dark, rich appearance. One hairline in Tom's hair, appropriately, that may have hurt its chances. Still a gorgeous original coin. image

1941 PR-65:
A solid, if not spectacular, gem. What I expected on a $38 bargain ... image

1953 PR-67: A lustrous gem, cracked out of a $10 NGC PR-68 slab. While I think NGC often is one-point generous on Jeffs compared to PCGS, I thought NGC was right on this one; PCGS disagreed. image

1955 PR-66 CAM: Drats ... had this pegged as PR-67 CAM. Bright and white with a DCAM reverse. Can't complain for $10, I guess. image

Methinks PCGS is holding the line on tough grading of Jeffs, not bumping up coins that may be "tweeners" or "liners" to the higher grade. Oh well, there are always more coins to cherrypick!

On deck: A cotton-candy, pastel rainbow toned proof 1941 with amazing luster for the date and exceptionally clean surfaces. My next dream of a PR-67 ... one slight jaw pit on the obverse and a lint mark on Monticello on the reverse will leave me in suspense, though. But, I believe the eye appeal might well pull it through to the elusive 67 for this issue. Stay tuned.

Randy

Comments