Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

TONED SILVER EAGLES

DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
First post for a long-term lurker . . . its always been interesting to stop by and gain a new perspective on the boards . . .

Teaching high school I've developed a thick enough skin to post. ANA Sectional Rep . . . interests in Morgans, traditional Commems, eye-appealing type, and toning.

My point . . .

Not realizing exactly what I was getting into, I have accumulated a set plus duplicates of Silver Eagles with the type of toning that stops local shows dead in their tracks. Electric, targets, colors I haven't seen anywhere at this intensity. All from those "Snap-Fit" holders purchased for eye appeal after the local-yokels brought them back to shops due to 'tarnish'. Sent them in to PCGS and all certified (66-69, nothing special grade-wise). I've seen boring material that I've passed on selling at Long Beach for ridiculous money.

My questions . . .

Although they are fun to have for pure shock value, would it be wise to put them up for sale? If so, at auction? Goldberg (recommended to me by several dealers)? My feelings are that I should perhaps strike while the 'toning' iron is hotter (now) and complete some purchases for REAL rarities as opposed to hanging on to bullion material that has transitory numismatic value but extreme eye-appeal.

No big deal . . . just thought I'd check with the elder statesmen (and women) with a pulse on the numismatic community.

Oh . . . as soon as I can figure out how to post an image, I'll see if I can present a picture of what I'm talking about.

Looking forward to dropping in verbally on occasion.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love toned eagles! Some go for big money ($100+), others for around $40 or so... really depends on the color. If those are the prices you'd like, by all means, sell... if not, you might want to hold them.

eBay isn't a bad place for them- I don't know if any have been in the big auctions.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh... welcome! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards image.

I haven't dealt with Goldbergs as a seller, but I have as a buyer and wasn't very happy with the experience. It took me five long distance phone calls and several e-mails to pay for a $45 lot. image

• Options
    send me a PM or email to theuscoinguy@aol.com and maybe I will buy them. Do they look like this one?

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, welcome. Second, I've purchased these, as a Collector, for over $500.00 (admittingly, both proofs) and would do it all over again. The "shocking" ones are totally cool and are barn burners!

eBay's a good source but you've just got to make sure your images capture the essence of the color. You might even have "greattoning" on eBay handle these for you. He works on consignment and his images on Contemporary color coins is second to none.

Good luck with them. The iron is hot for these and this is a great time to sell a couple of them.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Drunner,
    First and foremost a big welcome to the forum! As far as selling your toned SAE's, it's true for sure that toned coins are hot presently, but I would say it depends on what direction you want to go in the future with your collecting. Personally I have a hard time getting rid of anything I really like and/or find attractive.
    Joe
    P.S. Can you post some images?
  • Options
    First, thanks to airplanenut, Louis, jbsteven, braddick, and JLW . . . I appreciate your comments and advice. Second . . .sorry about the time delay in responding . . . Parent-Teacher Conferences and a pair of 18 hour days!

JLW has captured the essence of my dilemma . . . I would have sold these (had some strong interest at LB in 2002) but I love to display them although I picked them all up for basically bullion. The colors of the full date run are such that I submitted to PCGS expecting to get all 30 back in body bags although they are 'natural' (ok . . as natural as you get for a modern issue coming out of a Snap-Fit). Most are the electric blue rim fading to bright gold centers . . a couple of monochromatic gold and azure blue. Yes, jbsteven, although they are all business strikes, the majority are the pattern you posted with a few in other spectrums.

My collecting interests are more in the mainstream of Morgans and traditional Commems (I have Registry sets in both that are solid and getting better as time goes by). But . . . my Type is another passion . . . incomplete but focusing only on eye appeal and uniqueness . . . just like the Eagles. So . . . although having them is wild . . . at heart I understand true rarity v. bullion coins with smashing appearance. Torn between two lovers as the old song said . . .

Yes . . as I mentioned, as soon as I can figure out how to capture some of the color on these, I'd love to post . . .as a lurker I've seen a variety of images here and always wanted to show off a bit. The actual event that made me wonder about these was a conversation at Long Beach I had with a dealer who had some of these in a case, selling for huge sums. I was picking up Commems at the time and happened to notice these in the back of the hall. He had 8-10 in PCGS 67-68, none of which would have come close to making my set on anything resembling eye appeal, but showed some interest in purchasing mine. Spending time on my other collecting strengths, I hadn't studied what they might be worth, so I thought I would seek some advice.

Thanks again . . and I'll PM . . . .
  • Options
    I woould like to see the photos. I have many Morgans for sale............maybe we can do a trade?
  • Options
    jbsteven . .

Sitting here trying to figure out how to PM on this system . . . . haven't got it yet! I guess that's obvious! have been using the HELP option . . but to no avail. Is there a simple method here? I can always send a basic email . . . but have no idea where to access personal email addresses . . . ROOKIE!

On your message . . . yes, as soon as I can get a free minute, I'd love to post some images . . .and I'm planning to be at Portland (I have a dealer friend in the area I'll be staying with). I'm in no rush . . . so perhaps I will see you there and I can just bring them up.

• Options
    Welcome to the boards Drunner.

If any of them look like my icon, I would certainly be interested as well. image I also have a whole roll of 2003 ASEs that i've had in Kraft envelopes since I got them at FUN and I will say that they have toned in some pretty wild colors. They are definately interesting bullion coins!
  • Options
    Click on the padlock icon to send a PM.
  • Options
    Drunner,

If you click on "profile" at the top of this page you can enable your PM which is toward the bottom of that page.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file