Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Observation re: raw vs. graded

Just as most baseball card collectors reside in one of two camps, modern and vintage (although the definition of vintage varies), there seems to be a distinct split in the vintage collecting world between raw and graded material. It seems that most collectors are either one or the other. The collectors who do collect both seem to collect certain sets graded and the other sets raw. As a result, I have noticed that there is little demand for mid-grade cards, the ones graded PSA 4 through PSA 6 with definite exceptions made for superstars whose higher grade items are out of the reach of many average collectors and older issues for which higher grades simply don't exist. Slabbed collectors don't want cards from the 60's in these grades and raw collectors don't even consider a graded card. For this reason, I've seen ungraded cards sell higher than the equivalent graded card. Has anybody else noticed this? Do you think that as more and more older (50's and 60's) cards are graded that the market will expand? Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I think you are right on with your thought. It's very odd. I don't see this occurring with 50's and 60's. However, 1952 Topps and earlier sets do seem to have raw cards in the PSA 4 to PSA 6 condition selling for above slabbed cards. It's really insane because a PSA card has been authenticated and you can break that out of the holder if you prefer raw. I think part of the reason is the eye is kinder to a unslabbed early card. A 1933 Goudey in PSA 5 condition is really sparkling outside the holder. There's a certain part of the human psyche that whispers "Maybe this is a 6 or 7". Many dealers don't sell slabbed cards. Kit Young is a large purchaser of these PSA 4 to PSA 6 superstar cards. He breaks them out of the slab and grades them higher in his description which is totally allowable in a subjective situation. People seem to fall for this.

Again, for the millionth time - Buy the card and not the holder. Be weary of raw material. Grading doesn't mean a thing. It's a flawed system. Inspect the cards you're going to purchase. There are a lot of PSA 5 cards that could easily go up a grade if resubmitted. Always listen to your head and not your heart. When buying cards, be positive they'll make you happy, not upset, after repeated viewings.

Hope this sheds some light,

Satan
  • Options
    Zodiac - A lot of what you are saying has to do with what I call "The Hope Factor". Many graded card collectors are buying a quote unquote ExMT+ card with the "hopes" that it will grade higher when they submit it. Therefore on ebay you will find many cards being touted as EXMT+, NRMT, NRMT+ and even NRMT/MT garnering unusually high prices based on the idea that they may grade higher.
    Funny thing is, in most cases they grade lower. It's like the lottery, every once in a while you will get a raw card graded accurately or undergraded and have a big score...it's not very likely though.
    On the flip side, because PSA is very specific about what qualifies for a PSA 6 or PSA 7 say, often you can get very, very nice cards with great eye appeal that only have minor flaws...already in the holder and authenticated for less money than you might pay competing with the "hopesters".
    I myself often admire PSA 7 graded examples of 60'S cards and have dedicated my 66' Topps baseball PSA set effort to just this premise...that NRMT cards already in the holder are pretty darn nice.
    In fact I would love to hear from anyone who has cheap PSA 7 1966 topps Baseball for sale.
    RayB69Topps
    aja4rayb@msn.com
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!