Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Trying to build 1970 topps baseball set

I'm trying to buid the 1970 topps basic set (baseball) and need help. I just bought my first cards, and i'm not sure how I have to set up my collection.

Cards I bought:

#402-Ellie Rodriquez PSA 8
#665-Jim Longborg PSA 7

Is it possible to build a complete graded set? I have still a limited budget, so that might be the biggest problem. I didn't found here any complete graded sets, so has anyone ever completed this set graded by PSA?

Help is really appriciated

Dennis88

Comments

• Welcome to the boards. Can't help you too much
    on the 1970 set but I'm sure some of the people
    below will be more than happy to help. Good luck.

1970 PSA Set Collectors
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I have already registered my set, under Dennis H (it is still last at the moment)

Dennis88
  • Welcome Dennis 88,

Lets backtrack a bit here. If your on the registry forum (you are), you should have stoped and check out the registry.
    Click on the baseball icon of Ruth and search 1970(basic) many sets.

I bet JEB and many more here on this forum will be able to help you. I play with the set, about 20% complete.

mx'er

Answer. No, not yet. 2 people are at 99+%, close enough for me. I know It's not for them.
    This set will be fairly easy to complete, depending on your goal. A realistic 7.50 should be easy enough.

Must be a ton of 70's floating around this forum. Frank Bakka must have some dups.

mx'er

Swing away JEB! image
  • Dennis88,

Welcome to the boards and welcome to the 1970 set. To complete this year should be as easy as you want to make it. There are plenty of deals to be found. You will probably be able to complete with a sprinkling of 9’s majority of 8’s and very few 7’s. If you time your purchases right you should not have to use any 7’s. Set your goals, your price ranges and stick to them. If you let the market come to you and don’t get impatient you will be able to complete your set with a moderate outflow of cash. With this set you can be picky about how you want your set to look. Some cards have a print line (either top or bottom) and some cards will have better left to right centering than others (within the same grade). So buy what you like and don’t settle with a card that you don’t like looking at.

Here are some numbers at the PSA 8 level.

Based on the POP report (whatever that is worth) there are:
    158 cards with 30 or more copies
    154 cards with 20 to 29 copies
    136 cards with 15 to 19 copies
    150 cards with 10 to 14 copies
    114 cards with 5 to 9 copies
    8 cards with 4 or less copies

You should be able to get to 62% (15 copies or more) without much trouble. By then the remainder should have had enough time to accumulate enough copies to finish the set without a headache. The best advice I could give is to get your hands on a POP report, use it as a guide, to show you what cards should sell for cheep money. Pace yourself, don’t run out of money (there will always be more cards up for sale). If you have a good source of raw material, try submitting your own cards (on the lower POP cards). You should be able to pick up most graded cards at or just over the submission price.

Good luck with your set. Don’t get discouraged, you have a long road ahead of you.

ChrisKK
  • Well,

Finally we get a 1970 Topps post - unfortunately, after I sold my set. image

If I had seen this thread earlier, I would have posted a message similar to ChrisKK's message. I think Chris pretty much nailed it.

I'll add a few comments though:

1. I would not settle for less than PSA 8s - they are easy to find and will keep you busy until you reach the point where you need some of the rarer cards.

2. Pick up high-pop PSA 9s dirt cheap when you can.

3. Get to know some of the 1970 set collectors. They are a great help. You have already met ChrisKK, motocrosser, and myself. Look for Frank Bakka as well. Keep posting on these message boards and get to know some of the people here. After you've been here for awhile, you will find that you know most of the posters here through some transaction, whether it be on ebay or private.

4. Have fun with the set. Let me know if I can help in any way. I don't have many cards left (considering I sold 711 of them a few weeks ago image)! I do have some PSA 7s and lower if you are interested, but I'm pretty sure that I've talked you out of going that route already. image

5. If you wish to track this (or any other) Set Registry Collection, feel free to use my Set Registry Spreadsheets.

Email me if you have any more questions or ever need any help with the 1970 set.

Good luck!

JEB.
    I don't know if I will put my limit on PSA 7 or PSA 8. I'm still pretty young, and live in Holland, so I can not order from every shop in the US. When everything goes well I will move in a few years to the US, and I think I will start then really. For now I think I will buy around 20-25 cards per year, and see how it will change for the upcoming years.

Thanks all

Dennis88
  • Hi Dennis88,

Its great to have yet another European on the boards. Good luck with the set, I know from experience that there are many dealers that are more than happy to ship to Europe.

Just curious, but whay have you picked the 1970 set to collect?

Matt in the UK.

UK based collector.
    I saw the cards that I bought on Ebay, and asked my father if he would by them for me (i'm to young for ebay)I paid him back offcourse.The #402 ended very soon and there were no bids on, so I bought it quickly. The card was nicer than I expected, so I decided to focus me on this set.

Dennis88
  • Dennis,

Welcome to the boards. Like yourself & Matt, I am based in Europe (Ireland), so I know all about the difficulties of getting sellers to ship over here. Don't worry, there are enough good guys out there.

By an even bigger coincidence, the 1970 Topps Baseball was the first set I tried to complete, having started to collect it as a kid in NY when it first came out. Since then I have been distracted into lots of other sets - the same thing will probably happen to you!

Unlike the others, I would say because of your age and because there are less cards available to you in Holland, by all means pick up 7's at the start. You can upgrade them later. But an even better starting point is to track what individaul cards are going for on eBay (when you do a search for 1970 PSA's click on completed items - that will give you the past month's results to work with). This will give you the most accurate idea of what you can expect to pay for individual cards.

Best of luck and many happy collecting years ahead,
    Jonathan
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Dennis,

I have approximately 30 '70T in 8 if you're interested in building your collection. You can reach me at RMUEL81924@aol.com.
  • DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Refreshing thread! Kinda like the 'set of the week' idea that was presented a while back.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.