Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Sold one of my PSA 8 sets

I am selling my complete set of 1964 Topps stand up set this week on Ebay. I thought I would let you the collectors know first before I do so and offer it to you first.
I will sell the complete set for $15,500 or the set minus a common that books for $80 for $14,500. Please email me if you are interested. The set will be listed out on Ebay on 10/3/2003 for $15,500 with a buy it now of $17,900.

Regards,
Shaneleo@aol.com
I am tied with PC as the number 4th best set behind Marshall Fogal, Joe Wilson and Don Luchious. Join the big dogs of the industry and buy this one.
Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Not from Shane's actual set, but this gives you an idea of how cool this set is.

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Looks indeed cool, but unfortanly I don't have the money:-(

Dennis88
  • Options
    I've always liked those "stand ups"

They were cool in the '60's, and just as cool now..

Hmmmmm......

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Stop it Larry. Remember what we say in the 12-step program: "One set at a time."
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Thanks David. Nice card of Don Drysdale.
  • Options
    I stole the scan out of the Registry.
  • Options
    If I don't watch out, my computer will crash from all of the drool.
  • Options
    Shane, what cards did you run into that you need to raise money for?
    Dave's Wilsons Weenies doubles?
    Speaking of him, where's he been lately? (Murcerfan) haven't seen that bouncing cheese in a while.
    Scott
  • Options
    Scotty-
    Murcerfan is not talking right now cuz' the Yankees just got beat by the Twins. As far as what I am going to do with the money? I am going to start investing in 1999 topps Gold foil cards. I am trying to get all PSA 10's. There are many people out there right now buying graded sets because they don't have the time to fool around at shows/ebay. This is a very difficult set to make in all PSA 8's as well.

Later,
  • Options
    You mean the same Twins that my sad-sack Tigers beat down the stretch so they wouldn't be the WORST EVER?

You beat me to the punch on those 1999 gold foil cards.
    I'm thinking about selling off my complete set of nines and go for a set of tens! Should pay off in the long run, dontcha think?

Think you'll go with an auction house if the stand-ups don't sell on ebay?
    (Which it should, that's a killer set!)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Shane,

Call or e-mail me at work--we can talk. I have 15-20 or so 8's but I could potentially take the whole set at the right price.

Davalillo
  • Options
    Dav-
    Will call you at work today.
    Scotty-The set should sell pretty easy. I might do the auction house if I have enough guts.

• Options
    Just an update guys....I regret that I have sold the 1964 Topps STand up set. It was very hard to let it go, but I needed to do this. I actually kept a log of what I paid for each card and who I bought it from. This really makes me sick to see how much a dealer can affect your basis in your set. I bought 28 out of 77 cards from one dealer. I paid on the average of 212% of SMR on those transactions. I now know why some of you on here have such a bad taste in your mouth. It was my fault for paying for those, however I was impatient. I would like to thank some people for helping me with this set.

Some guy named Bart in Chicago - total of 11 cards
    Thanks to Peter Lalos (he only charged me 155% of SMR - total of 13 cards
    Broadway Ricks - PSA 8 Aaron for $200
    Howard Winter- total of 5 cards
    Thanks to Bill Goodwin- two cards and under SMR!!!! Thanks
    Pc32 for helping me with 8 cards and much advise.
    Sportscards plus a PSA 8 Kaline for $20 under SMR.
    Nuyauwka-member as well- Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it- total cards 8
    And 28 from a dealer with a gigantic mark up. Thanks again.
    Missinglinks- this was a blast collecting this set together. Thanks

Overall the set was very enjoyable. I would do somethings different if I had to do it again. The toughest cards in the set are Baldshun, Cash, Groat, Gonder, and Santo. It is only tough when you need it right? Just thought that I would share my experience with my fellow collectors.

Regards,
    Shane
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Come On Shane....who was the dealer with the huge markup?

John

• Options

Nuyauwka = howard winter
  • Options
    John,

Thanks
    Would
    I ever tell?
    No
    Shane
  • Options

It's a beautiful set. I hope then sale wasn't out of necessity.

I also assume congratulations are in order for Davalillo?
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    BoSox-
    It is a great set. Actually, don't assume anything. Davillilo did not buy the set.

• Options
    image.....I tried.
  • Options
    That anyone would sell a complete PSA 8 1964 Topps Stand Up set -- in my opinion one of the five most attractive card sets ever made and a very difficult one to assemble in PSA 8 at that -- to "start investing in 1999 Topps Gold foil cards" is ridiculous! If you sold the set to a dealer, you got ripped off. Dealers buy things to flip and make a profit. Even if you didn't.....sure, maybe it was convenient to sell it all to someone in one transaction, but you could have made significantly more by selling the cards individually, each two minutes apart, one evening on eBay. And to "invest" in a 1999 set.... Mama Mia!

• Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    HAHA! Good one SkyCap. If 1954 sold his set to start investing in Gold foil refractor thingies I will trade all my Wilson Franks cards for a set of Chinpoko Mon cards.

-------------------

Go Sox!
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Skycap,

Not clear he would have done better breaking it up. If you value the stars at a 10 percent discount to smr and the higher pop commons at smr, you are paying a pretty steep premium to smr for the remaining commons. I seriously considered putting in a joint bid with a collector/dealer who knows the set well and we could not get there.

Would be shocked if a dealer bought this--has to be going to a deep-pockets collector.

Davalillo
  • Options

<< <i>Would be shocked if a dealer bought this--has to be going to a deep-pockets collector.

Davalillo >>

Thus my assumption that you bought it image
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I wanted to send 1954 a PM but could not. I don't know if this is an ethical question but in continuing to learn, I would like to know how much he paid in total for this set (from all of the dealers/etc. he listed) and what he sold it for.
  • Options
    Check out 1954's message to John earlier in this thread - there is a hidden message (a la the Da Vinci Code) hidden there which will answer the question some of you were asking.

Also, I consider 1954 to be a very astute investor when it comes to baseball cards, and I think we should all consider investing in 1999 Topps Gold Foil cards .
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    CMCCLELLAND ---Ahhh! T.W.I.N.S, as in Kirby Puckett or Brad Radke? - or possibly Jose/Ozzie Canseco? - or? image ...jay
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I heard bucky dent bought it at the 11th hourimage
  • Options
    Let me know if you guys are serious or not about this gold foil card thing, because I've got about $10K worth of snipes set to go off tomorrow on 1999 gold foil, baby!
  • Options
    Murcerfan - what are you still doing up this late - was there a baseball game on tonight or something?
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>Not from Shane's actual set, but this gives you an idea of how cool this set is.

image >>

David
    that'll be 25 cents please.
    paypal as usual

i'll take $17,500 for mine since i kept the best ones for
    this first ever completed strictly PSA 8 set.at the time i
    began the set i had 490 of the first 580 psa 8s graded
    and 17 of the first 34 PSA 9s.you can imagine the fun i had
    selling these to dealers (who made $$$ too )when the set was as
    hot as four letter nasdaq stocks.when a card would come up on ebay
    in psa 8 it was either snatched up privately or sold for big bucks.
    i remember the mintxpress ebay run that belonged to a nice guy from
    nj (laterturned creep) where commons went for such high prices that people
    began to believe the commons were worth 200+ vs smr of 25 and the stars
    began to sell for 300-500 vs 90-120 smr values.subsequently,mastro sold the skerbes
    a "find" which increased the pops but that was way late for the big money.
    at today's smr prices this 77 card set is a TERRIFIC buy and if you have the room
    there is nothing better than a big fat (penzoni) wall display of 50 some odd cards.
    if anyone wants the 1st ever completed set here's a link and feel free to email.
    all offers will receive consideration.bring it on.The Cohen Family First Nonqualified PSA 8 Set
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    skycap- Now why would I sell to a dealer? Why would I break up the set individually when 67/77 sell for SMR or lower? This set is pretty difficult to put together in all PSA 8's and it is beautiful. It was just time to move it. And the comment about me collecting 1999 Topps Gold foil cards is true. I think it is the next thing to go up in SMR.
    Vargha- Please don't run me up image

Bucaneer- total cost was $11,200 to assemble sold for more than that of course. I would not want to disclose this information out of the courtesy to the buyer.
    There you go Jay, you got it.

• Options
    Dan- good one. Your Wilson's are safe.

• Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    These 1964s are great looking cards and you have convinced me to start working on it. If anyone wants to help me get started just drop me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    ok
    i'm flexible
    Money is your ticket to freedom.