Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

SMS experts - help! 1965 50c on 25c Planchet Mint Error MS67

SMS experts is this coin misslabled? Cool coin huh!?

Link

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: What do you see as the price differential between the 2 (regular issue vs SMS)?

Incidently, I noticed that a large group of Kennedy half wrong planchet coins hit the market starting with the Baltimore ANA show and its various auctions. They are, of course, very neat, including your coin. image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Mitch, I'm not sure what the price difference would be but my guess is that it would be worth 2 or 3 times that in sms. Boy is this out my area of expertise but i absolutely love the centering of the coin for an off-metal.

Has anyone seen an ms coin for that date that nice - especially the shield? I just pulled a 1965 sms set and looked at the half and the bottom of the 5 and 6 have a completely different formation than this coin, which would make me lean towards ms but there are different dies used and that would not prove definitive. Here's where it gets me - I have never seen an ms coin look like that with a hard finish - hmmmm it is a quarter planchet though. Shall i fire it off to pcgs?
  • Options
    I have one of the Kennedy 1965 SMS MS67DCAM and for sure it's very beautiful and absolutely diferent of a regular proof coin.
    Your coin is very interesting. Congrats.

Edson
  • Options
    Wow Edson, that's gotta be a pop 1 coin. i would love to see a picture of it.
  • Options
    Mark,
    Sorry it's not a MS68. It's MS67DCAM, Pop 8/0
    I confused with my 1966 SMS. It's a MS68DCAM. That's my favorite (and expensive) coin.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! What a strike considering. It's about what you'd expect for an SMS half
    on quarter strike judging by the scan but it would be difficult to prove. Great find.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Hard to say for sure without looking at the coin, but based on what I see, the coin looks correctly designated. It is an extremely nice strike, but with out looking at the full rim it is hard to tell for sure what sort of story we can obtain from the strike diagnostic. Also, although the 65 sms coins are usually more MS looking, they still have a certain proof likeish quality, even on the very late die state coins, that almost look non-sms. This coin does not have that, and in fact looks like a typical business strike from both the Kennedy and Washington series. Obviously, with the wrong planchet thing going on, that makes it even harder to judge. I will say that it is an unusual color of a 65 quarter planchet, this looks considerably more silverish or white, as opposed to the typical darker gray color of the quarter and dime non silver planchets of 65. Also the likely hood of this coin as an sms "getting out" is very rare if not impossible. Remember, even though proof set were not minted these dates, these sms were still examined, and I think this is too gross of an error to make it passed inspection. Also, chances are that the person that submitted it or that was close to the submitter was the finder of this coin in original packaging (whether roll or sms) and chances are if the coin came back opposite of how they found it, they would have had it corrected.

That being said I am not sure that it would be "worth" any more if it was indeed an sms coin. Yes indeed sms errors/varieties are considerable more scarce that business strike counterparts, due to the inspection and carefulness of production, but you have a 1965 nonsms Kennedy or Washington in MS67. The condition of the non sms coin, I think trumps the scarcity of sms error...or at least is on par...thus valuing the coin the same.

Of course that is just my opinion.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Morris, thanks for your input - your comments are right on. I do not have the coin in hand as yet but since pcgs calls everything I send them sms I would not be surprised if they call this one sms if I send it in to cross or semi-cross. by the way, I have a perfect cross rate from ngc error to pcgs error in grade.
  • Options
    Nice error.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.