Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

"The Hendricks Collection" - Nice Job in The MS Sac Series!

Good job goes out to "The Hendricks Collection" - 1 coin away from perfection in the very competitive MS Sacagawea series.

The Hendricks collection needs just the 2000(p) Sac in MS69 to have a perfect set! Some of you may remember a comment I made about a year ago as to why I felt the pop on the 2000(p) Sac in MS69 might eventually include Goodacre coins submitted without the Goodacre pedigree. The 2000(p) coins in MS69 are simply not available - I know several collectors who have been looking for one for a year or two now. On the other hand, there are already (12) Goodacre MS69 coins graded and possibly more in the future as half of the 5,000 Goodacres have not even been released yet. When I made the comment, a collector or two discounted the possibility, because Goodacres were trading around $4,000 in MS69 and the regular MS69 were not worth nearly as much.

Now, 1 year later, let's look at where we stand. The pop on the 2000(p) Sac in MS69 has not risen at all. The Goodacre MS69 which was a much lower pop now stands at -12-. More importantly, THE LAST GOODACRE IN MS69 APPEARS TO HAVE FAILED TO GET THE OPENING BID AT $2,000! No doubt, if a 2000(p) Sac surfaces tomorrow, it would be in great demand (neither #1 or #2 sets have it!) and could possibly sell well above the $2,000 level.

THE STAGE IS NOW SET FOR WHAT I SAW AS THE LIKELY POSSIBILITY A YEAR AGO - THE SUBMISSION OF GOODACRES IN THE PURSUIT OF A REGULAR ISSUE 2000(P) MS69 GRADE. It should be interesting to see scans of what the next 2000(p) MS69 Sac looks like that gets graded image

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    As Always Mitch,

Your assumptions may be correct. I still rely on you for your expertise on modern coins. I myself would no buy a ms-69 modern coin at the prices they are relizing at this point because I beleive the pops will still climb @ ( Ike dollars) I have always been a long time collector and will wait for the market to slow down some. I always enjoy your topics!!!!
  • Options
    Hey, I thought this was a thread praising Hendrick's collection. Toot-toot. image

I was one of those who thought that your scenario is far-fetched, and I'm afraid I still think so. I just don't see someone cracking out a Goodacre trying to make a regular MS69 coin given the downside risk. If you miss, you've gone from a 4-figure coin to a 2-figure coin, and there's no way to get it back in the Goodacre holder to recoup your losses.

You might even be rewarded with a body bag if the graders mistake it for a polished coin. After all, some experts still claim they are post-strike burnished. I don't agree, but it gets a lot more debatable out of the holder.

Personally I think you'd do a lot better buying a bunch of mint-wrapped rolls. The date comes nice and you could buy/resell many thousands of raw coins for the cost of one Goodacre. I suspect some more submissions will come out of the woodwork if one of the existing MS69 coins sells for big money and publicity.

And of course, as you allude to, even if someone did get a Goodacre into an MS69 holder it's going to have a very suspicious appearance. Enough so that I think a serious collector would avoid it. Just as a serious quarter collector wouldn't buy a high-grade 1967 "business strike" that was an obvious SMS.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I was one of those who thought that your scenario is far-fetched, and I'm afraid I still think so. I just don't see someone cracking out a Goodacre trying to make a regular MS69 coin given the downside risk. If you miss, you've gone from a 4-figure coin to a 2-figure coin, and there's no way to get it back in the Goodacre holder to recoup your losses."

Tad: I believe you're missing the point. Try cracking a PQ MS68 Goodacre worth $400 to make the 2000(p) MS69 - that is the likely scenario. I have several coins in stock right now that could grade MS69 and are sitting in Goodacre MS68 holders. And, as far-fetched as you believe it is, I have been told that it is possible several of the pop 6 coins have always been Goodacres. image If the price continues to drop on MS69 Goodacres any further, I suppose it might also be possible to consider cracking a Goodacre MS69 is it was a "lock MS69". Wondercoin

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Less yappin', more crackin'. I'll believe it when I see it.

I won't buy it (nor will other serious Sacagawea collectors), but I'll believe it. image