Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Set sold, starting over

My rainbow proof washington registry set is deleted and gone. Im starting over. Ideas? Looking for the most bang for the buck -- in other words -- some series that isn't already overpriced with potential for price appreciation. for the record, I was into proof washingtons long before the series "caught on." cheers, alan mendelson

Comments

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

3c nickel business strike image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    You could buy my cents out. And then I could start over.

David
  • I agree with JC. Or, consider mint state Lib nickels. Or, if you like proofs consider legend seated HD, dimes, or no motto seated quarters or halves. Proof Barber dimes or quarters seem like a good play as well but not as good as seated stuff. Or, for a real kick try mint state classic head 1/2 cents. The values right now seem to be in the classics.

Greg
  • LA:

If you really want to go avant guard, why not try a set of French Walkers (50c, 1F, or 2F). Here are some images. I kind of collect these, and have little company. Check out the darkside board for other non- U.S. ideas.

Greg
  • Alan,

What LincolnCentMan said image You could be 100% by tonight - a new record image
  • Nice Francs, Greg!

If you go with something that hasn't caught on you take the risk that they will never catch on. If you really like silver quarters why not stick with them? Or maybe you have a fancy for some gold or something?

I usually suggest folks work on a type set for a while. Perhaps you will run across a series you want to complete.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the pattern nickels (Typetone: if you want "classic value", take a look at patterns and see what you come up with), MS silver Wash quarters, MS silver Roosies, MS Kennedy half Dollars and a variety of other things.

I believe you already tried silver Roosies? Anyway, two things with the MS silver quarters is YOU WILL LIKELY NEVER FINISH YOUR COLLECTION IF YOU GET INTO THEM (and that may be bad!) and it is a very espensive collection to pursue. The MS Kennedys are a bit "unhyped" right now, so I personally see some "relative value" in many of the coins in that series compared to other moderns, especially the proof side. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • i like the french ladies...nice coins greg

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • thanks for your suggestions. some of my thoughts: while classics might be under-hyped and under-valued right now, they just might stay that way. typetone, you know the saying "the trend is your friend" so right now I think I would like to try a series that is undervalued but showing signs of moving up -- like in the early stages of a bull market.

Mitch, you're correct, I tried ms roosies and sold them. but maybe rainbow ms roosies -- that might be interesting and doable.

ms washingtons is not a realistic goal, too expensive and too big as we all know. I want something I can "finish."

patterns, Mitch, no I want some money left over so I can eat.

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Why not try Type sets?

As for the French Walkers how about an 1898 matte proof?

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Money:

The classics are starting to move. Consider a nice 64/65/66 set of legend seated or barber dimes.

Greg
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Alan, I have started a set of nicely toned MS Frankies, nonFBL. I think the coins are undervalued and great looking and they mirror the Washingtons as far as date, but of course a much shorter set to complete. Also you don't have be concerned about cameos.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    nicely toned early silver commems ms 65 66 67

the buzz on the floor with many dealers is that the series is one of the most underpriced undervalued currently out of favor series to collect with huge potential

and is popular as the type set 52 ?piece or complete 144 piece set would be a great looking set and nice coins can be obtained at great values some being fully priced and most to many being way underpriced

michael
  • Michael:

The silver early commems might be a great collection, but I don't see how they are undervalued. Comparing price to pop in the grades you mentioned indicates they are somewhat pricey. And, the toned pieces seem to bring even greater premiums. Compare price to pop for say proof Barber dimes in the grades you mentioned.

For example the Cleveland in 66 has 452 graded and lists at $6oo, the Elgin has 727 graded in 66 and lists at $485, the Hudson in 66 has 144 graded and lists at $3,100.

The typical proof Barber has 22 graded in 66 and lists at $2,100, though is usually available for less.

Commems might be great coins but the idea that they are undervalued might just be dealer hype.

Greg
  • Greg, proof Barbers might be undervalued, but do you see any signs of growing demand for them?

When I went into the proof Washingtons it was before the first of the statehood quarters was issued, but I knew back then that the statehood quarters would ignite the original Washingtons.

What will ignite the Barbers?

cheers, alan
  • Maybe Anna Nicole mania? Or did they cancel her show.
  • Alan,

There's always Jefferson nickels. It's not new news, but the new designs may ignite a bit more interest. I think the 1938-64 proofs are a realistic challenge to complete, and some people collect either including cameo (my preference) or without. Proofs 1965 to date are a bit less difficult, but still a worthy challenge.

If you want a bigger challenge, the circulation strikes in full step will keep you busy for quite a whileimage

I also like proof Walkers but I have no guess what might "ignite" them.

Richard
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Richard, I like your idea about Jeffs and I think you're right -- the new designs just might focus new interest on the series. Some time ago there was a discussion here about Roosevelts being a potential hot series becuase of talk that the Roosie series would be retired and replaced by a Reagan dime in the future. So Roosies also have potential.

However, history shows that collectors prefer "larger coins," and I think that quarters are about the smallest of the larger coins and wonder if Jeffs and Roosies would garner the same interest. But with that said, I do concede that Lincoln cents are way up there on the charts of collectible coins and hot coins, so I guess the size factor doesnt count as much as I might think.

cheers, alan
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    2 Cent Pieces
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Alan- the Franklins are very doable and its a great time as they are cheap right now but still popular. Last time I looked there were more frankie sets registered than any other series.

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I am moving into Liberty Seated Half dollars in MS-66 and PR-66. While they are not cheap,

I believe that they are underpriced. Quarters and Half dollars are the coins of choice for many collectors.

While I never expect to complete a set, I just like to look at them.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm 20+ posts and no takers for Merc's ...oddimage oh well.

Marc
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Marc, an interesting observation. I thought of proof Mercs but while there are some die hard collectors, I don't think the proof Mercs will get widespread interest that will make it a "star" in the numismatic universe. I also think that Mercs have already had a spike in prices which takes it off my list of undervalued coins. What do you think? cheers, alan
  • What will ignite the Barbers?

Alan, you said collectors like larger coins. I know I do as i can't see a darn thing unless it's right up to my eyes. The Barber Halves will be "ignited" as there are no stoppers. They are many lower pop coins MS65+ that number less than 25 but still sell for less than $3k. Imagine a Washington or Lincoln like that?

People will like the larger coins which are truly rare, have established pops that cannot have a bunch made overnight. Most important, the value and appreciation potential is all there. Coins are available with minimal competition. No moon money coins in this series.

I don't collect them by date but do buy nicely toned ones as they present themselves. They are the steal in numismatics today along with some rare date gold. I consider a coin rare when there are less than 100 graded in MS at PCGS/NGC.

Another suggestion...2c in Red ! So tough but oh so beautiful!
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALan,

I agree in regard to Proof Merc's - and although the regular Merc's are not undervalued they do seem to have a nice core following. Many of the better dates are hard to come by in true grade. But I admit it has been found, and would not be new per se.

Cheers 2U2,

Marc
  • Just pick something nice!