Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A "painted" near cameo. What would you do?

I am (still) putting together my first submission to PCGS, and I was looking at my "near cameo" PCGS coins to decide whether to submit them for a designation review. One, a 1952 PR66 near cameo Franklin, looked a little odd. On closer examination under a halogen light, it is clear that the major devices have had their "frost" painted on!image Given how long I and the previous owner examined it (now over a year ago), I'm amazed we (and PCGS) missed it.

My question is, what should I do now? Should I talk with the dealer I purchased the coin from? Although he does submit large quantities of coins to PCGS, I doubt he painted this picture. On the other hand, I paid a "premium price" for it because we both thought it was near cameo and might make Cameo on a second try. Should I submit it to PCGS under some version of their authenticity/grade guarantee? Or? What would you do? Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. I'll also ask PCGS for their recommendation.

Richard

Comments

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it in to PCGS. If it's truly a "painted" coin, you should be able to collect under their grading guarantee. Fortunately, a non-cameo 1952 half in PR66 isn't a big-ticket item.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I'd send it back to PCGS for grade review. Include a full description of why you feel it is an altered coin. Also include an invoice (if any) from your purchase.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm amazed we (and PCGS) missed it. >>

I'm not surprised, although I would have been before it happened to me. In my case, though, the coin was designated cameo. Two forum members had owned the coin, than it was consigned to Heritage, where I bought it. So, a whole bunch of people missed it, including the top grading service and the top auction house. When I got it in, it just didn't "look right" to me.

You can read the complete story and PCGS's resolution here.

In your case, since the coin wasn't designated cameo because of the artificial frost, it is unlikely that you'll receive any financial compensation as any premium you paid was not based on that designation. Likely what PCGS will do is crack the coin out, conserve it and reholder it for you.

Russ, NCNE