Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Correlation between better quality/tougher coins in unscratched holders!!!

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering if anybody else has ever thought about or noticed this. Is it just me or is there something to it??

I have noticed on several occasions that it appears to me that some nicer quality/tougher type coins seem to reside in holders that are not scratched up or have as much "trading wear". Is this becuase that the nicer/tougher coins tend to be purchased, then locked away in private collections until they are sold to the next buyer, which may be many years at a time. Unlike coins that tend to get traded show after show after show, or bought and re-sold more often, which in turn would create more potential scuffs and scratches on the holders from the frequent trading activity.

Of course there are several factors that would skew this like: Crack-outs, Reholdering, mishandling, etc.

I have several examples of pieces that I have purchased that I really like that are actually in older holders that have hardly any handling marks on the plastic, these are the pieces I dont see my self selling any time in the near future. Then on the other hand it seems like I have owned a few that the plastic was pretty scuffy when I purchased it and planned to re-holder only a short time later to upgrade it or I ended up selling it.

just a thought!
jim d

Comments

• Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I wondered about the same thing and developed the same hypothesis
    Trime
  • Options
    Yes, especially when they are in pristine, older holders!

Ken
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought about this before. It is a good point. I am going to keep it in mind the next time I look through auction lots.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    I started cutting 2x2's in half and taping them over the coin portion of the slab to prevent the scratches that occur from going in and out of the Eagle slab albums. Just 1" of scotch tape at the top keeps it there for good, and can be lifted up easily. I use the 50c size for the most part, to show the entirety of the coin, except for dollars. And as to the thread supposition, I am most careful to do this to new, pristine slabs of nicer coins. I think your analysis is probably correct.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Curious if anyone knows of any solution as to how to polish out a scratched slab, ever see those miracle polymers that you use for scratched eyeglass lenses and the like? Wonder if something like this would work for slabs or would blur the view of the coin. Never the less, very insightfull as to the 'Trading wear' of slabs.
  • Options
    Please disregard my above post, might of stumbled onto a nice little business venture.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had wondered the same thing, and developed the same theory.

I've had a few that were just so gnarly... you really have to wonder where they stop, or if they ever do. They didn't with me.
    mirabela
  • Options
    TarmacTarmac Posts: 394
    I too have wondered about this but suspect it's more a function of 'better' coins being reholdered if the slab is gnarly and is about to be auctioned or sent to a high end collector. Sort of like when someone sells their home and paints, repairs and plants new landscaping to show better.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    if the coins are reholdered then they are in newer holders which are quite different from older holders

for me i have noticed this too and it is neat if the coin is a really good coin in an older holder and i will certainly take it

but in general it really does not mean much for me

but i have a special non toxic non chemical solution that virtually cleans off all of the marks scratches off of ngcslabs so they looko new and they do an almost as good job with pcgs slabs

so this scratch thing is a moot point for me
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Many Heritage auction lots are freshly encapsulated coins. After all the handling just from auction lot viewing most of the holders are scratched up beyond what I can accept. At least 90% of Heritage lots I win get shipped for reholder.

I agree that nice coins in unscratched old style holders are nice to find.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>

but i have a special non toxic non chemical solution that virtually cleans off all of the marks scratches off of ngcslabs so they looko new and they do an almost as good job with pcgs slabs

>>

Michael, what exactly do you use?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wholy cow,

who dug up this thread?

jim
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Dunno. It's a secret, I guess.

Michael, you're so full of itimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Get a can of "Never Dull" from an Auto Parts store.

WORKS GREAT on Slabs...
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mequiars used to make a great plastic polish but the formula has been changed (to meet volatle emission requirements???)

I have been using their new stuff but it is not as good. It will take all the scratches out of an aircraft plexi canopy and/or your convertible plastic rear window but it takes twice as long. I just use a 3 inch soft cotton buff attached to my grinder mandrel.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, especially when they are in pristine, older holders! >>

Jim,

This thread is old, but very relevant to what I seen at Sunday's Parsippany, NJ coin show. I don't collect Liberty head nickels, but I seen the most beautiful, 1893, PCGS (1st generation holder), MS-64, that I had ever seen in my life. The coin was a no question MS-65, possibly MS-66 upgrade. The coin and the holder were both in pristine condition, totally mark free. In fact, the 20 year old PCGS holder looked brand new, probably resided in a safety deposit box the whole time.

The coin was selling for slightly over "typical" MS-64 prices for this date. I was going to buy it, decided to walk the bourse floor for a few minutes and come back.......bad mistake, the coin was sold in less than 10 minutes. Another coin that I'll be forever kicking myself in the butt for not buying when I had the opportunity.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although not a great rarity, I have this 72 DDO that I picked up 15-20 years ago and the case was scratched to hell way back then, but it is in an old rattler that I want to keep it in. The scratches are much worse than this pic shows. If anyone can really help get out these old scratches......
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Wholy cow,

who dug up this thread?

Jim - Old threads never die, they just go dormant for awhile. image

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file