Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I just bought a house...Wife wants to redecorate...Clemente and Stargells for Sale

Hey Guys-

First off I apologize for the Spam

I just bought my first house a couple of days ago...and my wife has notified me of all of the redecorations she wants to do (new paint and new carpet throughout), curtains, etc. etc. etc.

Heck....the darn thing was just built in 2000 !!! I think she has been watching too much of Trading Spaces on The Learning Channel....oh well.

So being the good husband (and to insure future no-hassle card purchases in the future)...Im thinking long-term, biting the bullet and selling off my Stargells and Clementes on a first come first served basis.

Okay..heres the deal.

1.) The cards listed represent cards in my Stargell and Clemente Basic and Master Registered Sets.
2.) The price of each card is what I have into them....no markups here!
3.) Shipping is 2.00 no matter how many cards you buy. Insurance is $2.00 and that covers all cards as well.
4.) First come first served.....these cards will only be offered for a short time before they go on eBay..but I wanted to give you guys first shot.
5.) Please email me at basilone@neo.rr.com if you see any cards that you like.

The Clementes:

1961 ToppsNL Batting Leaders (Clemente) PSA8 $53.25
1964 Topps Giants Roberto Clemente PSA8 SOLD
1965 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 8 SOLD
1967 Topps Checklist 371-467 Clemente PSA 8 $28.99
1967 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 8 SOLD
1968 Topps Managers Dream Clemente PSA 8 SOLD
1969 OPC Deckle Edge Roberto Clemente PSA 8 $61.00
1969 Topps Deckle Edge Clemente PSA 8 SOLD
1970 Milton Bradley Roberto Clemente PSA 9 $59.09
1970 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 8 SOLD
1971 Dell Stamps Roberto Clemente PSA 7 $16.50
1971 Topps Supers Roberto Clemente PSA 9 $418.00
1972 Kelloggs Roberto Clemente PSA 9 $43.02
1972 Topps Roberto Clemente In Action PSA 8 $55.50

The Stargells:

1963 Topps Willie Stargell RC PSA 8 SOLD
1972 Topps Willie Stargell PSA 8 $37.01
1973 Kelloggs Willie Stargell PSA 9 $12.51
1974 Topps Willie Stargell PSA 8 $21.00
1975 Topps Willie Stargell PSA 8 SOLD
1976 Topps Willie Stargell PSA 8 SOLD
1977 Topps Willie Stargell PSA 8 $17.50
1978 Topps Willie Stargell PSA 9 SOLD
1981 Fleer Willie Stargell PSA 10 $34.00
1983 Fleer Stargell/Rose PSA 9 $15.00

Most of the cards have scans already of the registry.....(see the links below). If you do not see a scan please email me and I will send one to you at your request.

Thanks,

John Basilone

EDITED: to reflect cards sold

Comments

• John,

Congratulations on the new house. I hope you are happy and healthy there.

Best,

Satan
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Congrats John!

Sorry that you have to sell, but remember... This massive debt only lasts 30 more years...

So, when is the house warming party???
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Congrats John--check is in the mail.

Davalillo
  • Congrats- We went through the same thing when we bought our first house a couple of years ago. There is still a lot that the wife wants to do to our house, but I haven't yet had to sell my cards to pay for it. I just keep telling her if she wants to put all her shoes and purses on ebay to pay for renovations than I'll put my cards up. That hasn't happened yet image
  • MrC,

I'm going to have to remember that one when my wife proposes I sell my cards for some reason. Good answer! image
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    BASILONE - Whadda ya mean the "wife wants to redecorate", you like the pretty colors too! image
    It may be a new house for you, but the money you will pour in over the next few decades are off the chart.
    We moved to our current house 3+ years ago, but this summer we added a shed for our John Deere, re-blacktop, landscaping, upstairs carpet, living room rug & curtains etc.... Thats $10K out the window as far as I'm concerned. Thats almost a complete 1968 set in PSA-8's. ...jay
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Just say "no".

<< <i>Just say "no". >>

Easier said then done!
    Hey! Didn't you sell your '51 Bowman PSA set and buy the wife a new car? ...jay
  • Basilone - I worked with an old fart who told me a true story. He said he wife was going through "the change" and having a tough time with it. He was on the road a lot which he said didn't help. He had a three week trip to some army base in TX and returned home on a Fri. His wife met him at the front door in her swimming suit which he thought odd but didn't say anything. He took his bags to their bedroom and changed clothes. While changing he noticed his wife had an in ground pool put in while he was gone. He quickly changed into his suit, went to the pool and jumped in. His wife comes out and yells, "aren't you even going to say anything"? He said "no, I'm swimming". He said he never had another problem out of her. He guessed that she just needed to think she was in charge. If she is happy, you will be happy.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    A pool?!! That man must have had his cajones removed around the time of "the change".

Jay -- I did sell my 1951 set, but my wife didn't even know I had it, so the decision to sell it was completely mine. That being said, if John wants to "get any" at home in the future, then his decision is likely for the best.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Thanks for the kind words and advice. That was a good story. My goal is to be able to pay cash for a majority of these "ideas" that she has....but I have a feeling from you guys that this is just the beginning. Man..renting was so easy. She is very happy with me though because it was my idea to sell some cards to help out.

3 cards have sold already....please take a look and email or PM me if anything interests you. Scans available on the registry links below or email me and I will send you one of any card listed.

Thanks,

John
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Basilone -- Here's a simple solution to your problem where it's a win-win situation for you and your wife. Convince your wife that mounting all of your Clemente and Stargell cards on the walls of your living areas is the latest trend in interior design. You keep the cards and house now has a new look to it. image
    Yea Dude...what a way to cap off a $4k paint job!! Maybe I should contact Pennzoni...LOL.

John
  • John,

At first when I read the thread title I was going to recommend clean up service for you. If that is all that you are required to sell I say keep the wife. She is letting you off fairly easily.

• John,

Did you get my email? I am interested in a few of the cards.

Thanks,
    Doug

drivard@optonline.net
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.

Doug-

For some strange reason...I received your email on Monday morning even though you sent it out Sat. night. Prob just a glitch in the system. Anyways I just sent you a email.

Sorry for the delay.. I would of gotten back to you sooner.

Let me know,

John
  • Congrats on the new home!

I've taken the plunge recently, though the house hasn't been built yet. I've already done a fire sale on most of my cards (all my sets are no longer on the registry anymore). I've been told that things will get better once we settle in and I can get back on the trail again!

<< <i>Text I've been told that things will get better once we settle in and I can get back on the trail again! >>

ANJ - Who told you this? A single guy? image ...jay
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Anj,

I'm afraid that Jay is right... Thats just a line given to husbands to make them feel better about selling their stuff off now... That line usually comes right before - "all we have to do is paint this, wallpaper this, have this refinished and then we're done!".

You'll learn as all homeowners do... houses are a journey... not a destination...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!

• << <i>"all we have to do is paint this, wallpaper this, have this refinished and then we're done!". >>

You are NEVER done. AS soon as you are done, that is when you move!