Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

David Poole surpasses Michael Hughes and is chasing High Desert

As the 5th finest all-time Lincoln cent collectionDavid Poole has surpassed Michael Hughes who has held the spot for several years.Is High Desert next ? Are there any other unregistered sets besides Gerry ? Absolutely, as Lincoln Cents continue to soar in Price .

Stewart Blay

Comments

• Options
    I have a feeling Gerry would be fairly high on the list (top3) and sets Like "Lauren's Lincolns" are very close to being complete. There will some movement.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..and thank YOU for selling me that great looking 25-D today, Stewart, to help me (at last) creep by Mr. Hughes.

Now I'm counting on you to keep Gerry out of the Registry! image

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations David. Good job.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Congratulations Charles Roberts!!! - Now #3 on the all time as David enjoys the #5 spot having had the #4 spot for a few hours.
  • Options
    Congrats DP. Hope that 36-S helped imageimage

Congrats to all others both 100% complete AND 100% RED for a tremendous acheivement!!! image

I went from #115 to #17 since 9/3/03 (as of 10/03) - is that good? imageimage

Don't know if I'll EVER get to #5 though imageimage (Of course I am planning on being 100% complete in the next month or so) image
  • Options
    Congrats, dp!
    Joe
  • Options
    Very nicely done. I can see you guys way ahead in the distance now. I'm closing, but ever so slowly. Keep one eye on the road and the other on the mirror.
  • Options
    Congratulations David. Congrats to all you Lincoln folks. That is a long series with many tough coins.
  • Options
    Way to go David
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • Options
    good job david.. ive been thinking of starting a set of these myself..run to the top david..go man go.
    bruce scher
  • Options
    Oh, great. Now SCHER'S gonna start collecting Lincolns! imageimageimage
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Congrats David! I don't know if you remember me, but you showd me some of your recent Lincoln acquisitions at the Baltimore ANA show, just in front of Jasons's booth.

Greg
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Congrats on your monumental move over the last year David. I still remember the thread when you reached the 68.00 level...and it wasn't that long ago. It is amazing what a whole lot of money since then...can do to a set!! I have a long ways to go before I ever get to 68.00 ( I predict by the end of 2006). I am two spots behind DP but it might as well be 200 coins!!

Ok Stewart...when are you going to break out those duplicates and let me know what you have for sale? I need to go 15 more points...so I can pull into the large void (and gap) behind D.Poole. I know it will be short lived...since there are some very nice sets that aren't quite complete...with much higher GPA's than mine. Like "Lauren's Lincolns" and Wayne Herndon...and that isn't even talking about those who haven't listed their sets yet.
    Marc
  • Options
    Congrats David!! image
  • Options
    There is only one thing a guy can do after he falls another rung (down) on the ladder while trying to climb upwards!! I need to buy a new COIN..or two...or three...hell........I will need to buy at least 15...just to get back to the spot I used to be in. Are there any sellers of nice Lincolns out there?? Come on Stewart...you busted that 25-D out for David Poole.....you must have dozens of duplicates that will help me. image
    Marc
  • Options
    Don't know if what I'm selling will help you (I tend to doubt it) link but I also need a few coins - about 9 coins to fill my basic set & 10 for the variety set - the toughest of which seems like it's gonna be a '36 DD T1. I guess I'll have to settle for 99% in BOTH Lincoln Varieties sets (I need a 69-S DD in the other) - at least for a little while anyway.

As for upgrades (in order to further ascend the "rungs", that's another story & one that will probably never end. I am hoping to be 100% this month (at least except for the 36 DD) & all red by the end of the year - with upgrades constantly along the way of course. image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats David! Having a top five set in one of the most competitive series is AWESOME!
    Doug
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, David. Moving up in that set doesn't come very easily!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David is a very pleasant and affable coin collector who mixes it up well with advanced and novice coin collectors alike. He earns the oreville seal of approval. But you already knew that!!!

Now if I can just get back into our little chat room again without my computer convulsing, I would be very happy!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Congratulations David! As always, I am green with envy when I look at your set. (Don't even mention Stewart, Tom, Charles...)

The stamina and "eye" needed to assemble these great sets is very admirable. Some say it only takes money, but we long-time collectors (over 40 years in my case) know better.

Best of luck in your future acquisitions!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    congrats david! and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michael
  • Options
    Thanks for all the nice comments!
  • Options

David,
    I know you are one of the top Lincoln collectors so I always read your posts. However, I don't know if I can read them anymore. I get scared everytime I see that little devil guy.imageimage
  • Options
    I get scared everytime I see that little devil guy.

That's the icon of the dear purged and departed gmarguli (whose spirit now infests the Board "across the street").

You think his icon is scary, you shoulda read his posts! image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpoole: But his coins and grading style are not scary at all. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Hello all!
  • Options
    Congrats David - keep going...!

Gene (been quite some time since I have been in the forums [no time] - I am striving to get back into the top 10 - there has been a lot of moving lately)