Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Population Jumps !!!!!!!!!!

I was just wondering if the rest of you Board members have been watching the Population Report of Baseball cards rise at a ever increasing pace ' or is it just the year I'm collecting ! Printed out a 1964 Topps Baseball pop. report on 7-27-03 and two months later on 9-25-03 ....... the number of 10's was at( 45) - jumped to (57 ) - 10's......... the number of 9's was at ( 2269) - jumped to ( 2422 ) - 9's ........ A lot of new 1 of 1 nines being listed also ! I know there are alot of heavy hitters out there spending big $$$$$$$$ right now ! Are dealers grading more '64's to cash in on the action , or is this a normal pace of card Population rises ! Just wondered how the set population the rest of you collect in other years is rising fast or at a crawl ! Would be interested to hear how your sets compare in the Pop. reports ! Robby
Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
1963 Fleer
Lou Brock Master Set

Comments

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    About a year or so ago I started submitting a lot of 1980 Topps. When I started there were only 14 total PSA 10's from the set. I got a few 10's raising it to 15,16,17, etc... About 6 months went by and I decided to check the pop again. There was about 125! It all goes in cycles though because they slowed to a screetching halt so the same will probably happen to your set. Once everyone who is looking for those cards get them, the prices drops and people quit submitting.
  • Options
    Robby - I can speak fairly well for 1964 Topps, since for at least a couple of years I was the primary buyer of 9's and 10's in that set. The population of 10's was fairly stable until about 18 months ago. Then you started seeing it bump by 1 or 2 each month as more and more commons were graded. There have also been a few vending boxes that sold in the last year, and so as the purchasers went through those you would see sudden spurt of another 5-6 10's at least three times.

I have only seen 1 of the new 10's sell on eBay in the last couple of months. It was a checklist and shockingly went for around $1000. The last two checklist PSA 10's went for closer to $300-$400 each (I was the buyer).

I am currently in the process of breaking up my set, to move on to other (as of yet undetermined) challenges. I am working on selling on eBay what I did not sell off privately. I still have around 250 PSA 9's and 150 PSA 8's that I will be putting up for auction (a few each week). I have decided at this point to keep the 18 PSA 10's that were in my set.
  • Options
    Robby

1964 has been real hot in PSA 9 lately. vmfa, karlb, and a few others have bid commons up pretty rapidly. Dealers may have noted that and be submitting a few more cards. I have not noticed a lot more availability in PSA 9 lately (with the exception of JH's cards).

Greg
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Greg , Yes , I've noticed that vmfa and Karlb have been winning alot of these 9's ! And I knew that JH was selling his set ! I'M WONDERING when these two guys are going to enter there sets with a bang , if they decide to put them in the set registry ! Do you collect the 64's , and if you do , are you in the registry ? I have no illusions of ever cracking the top Five Sets , just having fun building my set card by card ! Will wait for the dust to settle like 1980's said to purchase some 9's down the road ! Still would be interested to hear how some of the other years pops have increased a bunch or not ! The Psa set registry is exploding by leaps and bounds , which is good for the hobby and Psa ! Robby
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Robby,

Keep in mind that the time period you are talking about transverses the Nationals. A lot of nice raw material was discovered and submitted for all years. But I will admit that PSA seems to have built up a pretty good head of steam with the set registry and is definitely continuing to coax high end material out of the woodwork for grading.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options

<< <i>...I'M WONDERING when these two guys are going to enter there sets with a bang , if they decide to put them in the set registry ! ... >>

Robby,

FYI, vmfa already has a '64 set on the registry - the #3 current finest set. I don't know Karlb, so I'm not sure there.

JEB.
  • Options
    Robby

Jeb is correct. VMFA is the #3 set but I believe he is due for a big pop upwards as I don't think he listed all of his recent upgrades. I don't know anything about KarlB except that if he wants a card, he usually can get it.

We have the #17 collection so there are no illusions on our part either of getting in the Top 5. I really like this set though. A large number a HOF'ers, a fair number of minor star rookie cards, good photos. Is your set #10?

Greg
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Greg , Yes , my set is listed as the #10 set ( Robbie's 1964 Topps Set ) ! Thanks for the info about who is #3 ! Robby
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set