Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally got my 37-S

What crazy prices tonight at the Orleans sale. I finally got my 37-S in 67RD and the 52-D in 67RD. There was no way I was going $2000+ for a 30-D or a 51-S. Those are both $500 coins at best. I hope the wacky prices paid don't raise the bar to that level for a relatively common coin.

Comments

• Options
    Jack,
    I missed the Orleans sale (and the prices are not up yet). Are you saying that a PCGS MS66RD 30-D (pop 63/1) and a PCGS MS67RD 51-S (pop 40/0) EACH went for $2k+?

-Paul

PS, welcome back to the "game"
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I sold a 30-D PCGS 66RD for $500 on e-bay not too long ago. There was only one bid on it.

David
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the 30(d)? Heck, I bid around $5,000 for one myself in MS66RD in the Heritage Santa Clara sale, lost to (2) other bidders (i.e. my bid was weak at $5,000), the coin then upgraded to MS67RD and sold for some mindboggling figure (I think with a "2" in front of it). My point is, if the coin was viewed as an upgrade coin, $2k was an absolute steal on the coin! Same point for the 51(s), which just sold a couple weeks ago at Long Beach for a fraction of that price image

Wondercoin

P.S. it is always nice to see people "buy the coin and not the holder"
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    link-a-doodle & link-a-doo image

But Mitch, the question IS, did you bid on THESE? Or is this just another Monday morning (uh, Thursday night) quarterbacking session? image
  • Options
    P.S. it is always nice to see people "buy the coin and not the holder"

But Mitch, aren't they just spending big bucks in hope of getting the coin in a better holders? I doubt they are paying that kind of money just to keep to have a PQ coin in a MS66RD holder.

-Paul
  • Options
    Mitch,

I probably quoted prices to five board members, and put it up on ebay six or seven times.

David
  • Options

From the images on the 30-D I really doubt it was an upgrade. I know it is hard to say without holding thecoin in your hand, but there appeared to be a lot of chatter on the obverse and reverse. The 51-S was a nice coin, but let's be realistic. Unless it was mind-boggling, there is no way that PCGS is going to make it an 8RD. My concern is that all this crazy money does is make people think the going rate for a 30-D in 66RD is now over $2000. The same for the 51-S.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mitch, I probably quoted prices to five board members, and put it up on ebay six or seven times. David"

David: Yes, which supports my comment that if the coin was an upgrade shot, or very "PQ" for the grade, that would better explain the bidding than to assume the market has gone up 4x in the past month - right?

I personally bid nearly $27,000 for a 1912(s) Lincoln in MS65RD a few auctions ago AND LOST THE BIDDING AS THE UNDERBIDDER. It had nothing to do with the price of 1912(s) Lincolns in MS65RD going up 6x overnight either and I have been watching the pop report to see if the Lincoln series gets another "pop 1" image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I wish there were some way that we could find out who bought those coins. Then we could get some follow up on the upgrade story.
  • Options
    Jacktheknife,

Beleive me when I say there was absolutly NO chatter on the coin. The coin was near flawless, and you'll rarely see me make that statment. The drawback to the example was that it was near RB. I was straight-forward with everyone with reguards to the color, which is why it took a while to sell. However, the coin was very attractive. It had no shot at an upgrade b/c of the color, however.

Mitch,

You are right on the money. PQ examples will always bring PQ money. It's not uncommon for me to have a screamer sell for 2x what I'm asking for a generic example... even when offered to the same buyer at the same time. Top collectors want top coins, and they're willing to step up to the plate to get them.

David
  • Options

David,
    I am not sure we were talking about the same coin. I was referring to the 30-D in the Orleans sale, which was definitely not a RB coin. I think you must have thought that my post after your post was referring to your coin. I never saw your coin. Sorry about the mix up. Guess I need to be more careful about the position of my posts.
    Anyway, in reference to the coin from the Orleans sale, it was very bright and I would be curious to know if there was chatter or if that was from imaging of the holder.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Mitch - I have a beautiful image1912 s that I will sell you for $24,000.I'll bet you also think it is an upgradeimage

It's ALL Gerry's fault

stewart
  • Options
    Jacktheknife,

Sorry. I thought you were refering to my former example. I remembered you asking for a price on it. I just checked my PM history, and you were one of the ones. I just assumed you were talking about that one. My bad.

Stewart... wow....

David