Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Congratulations to Charles Roberts for cracking the top 5 in the Basic Lincoln 1909-1958 Set

You can check out his amazing set here.

Charles L Roberts 1909-1958 Lincoln Cent Basic Set

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A terrific accomplishment in a tough set. I've been watching him get bigger and bigger in my rear view mirror for a while now! image

Congrats, Charles!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on you set. It is amazing that the early coppers exist in red in some of those high grades. It is even more amazing when you and others are able to assemble them into a complete set.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options

WOW!, Nicely done. I thought he was going to stall out there for a while. Guess he was just catching his breath before the final ascent. Really quite an accomplishment. I should know, as I am stalling out a bit as of late.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Man... he's up too #3 now. Check out the top five sets, all over 68. image

David
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

And he sold his overgraded 1909 V.D.B. in ms 68 to boot !!

Stewart

Perhaps its time Gerry registers his set.......or should I post all the coins in Gerry's collection ?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "And he sold his overgraded 1909 V.D.B. in ms 68 to boot !!"

Stewart: David Schweitz handled the sale of this coin for a customer of mine and said the coin was fine for the grade (pick up the phone and ask him). I think his opinion carries some weight in this series. Recently, I believe, the customer rejected roughly a $10,000 profit on the coin. I believe your comment is unfair.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Yeah Stewart, post 'em. I kinda wish Gerry would join the registry, yet have to respect his viewpoint. Those coins are his to enjoy. We all know he's out there, though.
  • Options
    >>>Perhaps its time Gerry registers his set.......or should I post all the coins in Gerry's collection ?

Stewart - that would be so unfair. Due to some technical glitches with the PCGS web site, some of us were aware of what your set contained prior to it being made public. We did not disclose this out of respect. i would hope you would return the favor to Gerry.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

I use to be able to obtain almost every Lincoln cent that I wanted to own.Ever since Gerry entered the arena......he uses his shrewd and manipulative ways to build a world class Lincoln collection.He hides it for his own reasons.He is avery competitive man by nature.I am competing with him and he is competing with me.What comes around goes around.
    The nature of the "Set Registry" is competitive by nature.I believe it is because of Gerry that that certain prices for common date coins are prohibitive for me to buy.IMO there is no reason for Gerry to hide his collection.He is selfish and self centered.He has alot more money than myself.My reason for hiding my set was so I didn't have to be held hostage for a 1958 Lincoln cent in ms 67 red.IMO a 1958 Lincoln cent at $500 is moon money.At $2,000 it is a bubble waiting to POP .$8,000 for a 1953 Lincoln cent.......give me a break
    I will not post the coins in Gerry's collection.I completely agree it
    is his decision and his choice to hide his coins.I also knew my coins were viewable for some time early on.

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart,

You raise some very valid points. I do believe, as well, that a particular collector willing to pay whatever it takes to obtain his/her set puts a lot of upward pressure on prices for the set as a whole. The arrival of Gerry, and several other collectors for that matter, into the Lincoln series as well as the Registry have produced astronomical prices for the series as a whole. I remember in 1993 being outbid by you for a 1913 PCGS MS-67RD in a first gen. holder at around $900. You couldn't touch that coin today for $9000 (more like 15K). I remember those days well. "%$@#*% Stewart Blay, if it weren't for him I could have my set done by now." That was then and this is now. You're no longer the only big shooter in town. Anyway, yes Gerry has a lot to do with it, but there are also many other factors as well as collectors. If Gerry wants to keep out of the registry for whatever reason(s), then that's his business. I for one wish he would join us. I think we are all having fun here.
  • Options
    John

Big Shooter ? I can't even squirt

Stewart
  • Options
    John,

A 1913 is conditionally scarce in ms 66.In 1993 the formula for pricing an ms 66 was 2,3 or 4x 65 value.And pricing an ms 67 was three,four or five times ms 66 value.Hence in 1993 when a 1913 in ms 67 was $900 an ms 66 was $300.
    If you take a 1951 0r a 1953 which has the same pop in ms 67 as a 1913 in todays market
    ms 66 ms 67
    1913 $2,000 $15,000 7.5x
    1951 $200 $6,000 30x

My point is todays standard should make logical sense.People will get hurt if they believe the value on a 1951 Lincoln cent will remain at such a disparagate rate between the price of an ms 66 and an ms 67 There are also alot more 1951 cents in ms 66 than 1913 cents

Stewart

stewart
  • Options
    The only time I post on the message board is to say something constructive in a polite way, share my knowledge in response to an inquiry or to commend someone for something they are proud of (even if it's upgrading a 63 to a 64). Almost all posters are good-spirited. Hence, I refrain form responding to personal attacks with personal attacks simply because I don't think there is a place for that on the message boards, and to do so would be something that is out-of-character for me.

By the way, this thread is about my good friend Charles Roberts completing his set and cracking the top five – not about anything else. Charles doesn’t visit the message board, so I’ve written to him to congratulate him on a great job, and passed on the kudos several on this thread, including David Poole, have offered.

He and I exchange letters from time to time. He firmly believes that he has, grades notwithstanding, a set second to none. He has worked very hard at it. A 1909 VDB in ms68 he sold was referenced. Charles has expressed to me several times his regret that he sold the coin, but he was able to swing a very nice trade for some S-mint which helped him on his way to completing his set. Mitch Spivak found an eager buyer for the 68. Charles has told me that he would love to have the coin back.

I purchased my 1951 in ms67rd 3-4 years ago for $1000 when it became a pop 2 - a fair price at the time. I am very proud of that purchase because it was from a friend who called me on it to give me first crack. I had done him a couple favors in his area of the hobby, and he was reciprocating. To me that’s what a hobby is all about – building friendships - and helping one another. BTW, he also sold me a 1947 and a 1953 in ms67rd at the same time – total price for the 3 coins was $2500. Maybe time will say that I paid too much. It is a crazy market.

• Options

Stewart,
    You've been around long enough and the math speaks for itself, I couldn't agree with you more. That's why I will concentrate on the early dates first.
  • Options
    "That's why I will concentrate on the early dates first "

Good idea - how about a pop 2 or 3 in the early coins for $50,000 or $75,000? That 1951(p) at $6,000 is so "stupidly priced". image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    "Charles has expressed to me several times his regret that he sold the coin, but he was able to swing a very nice trade for some S-mint which helped him on his way to completing his set. Mitch Spivak found an eager buyer for the 68. Charles has told me that he would love to have the coin back."

I could have sold the coin 2 or 3 times over and whomever bought the coin would have been enjoying a "5 figure profit".

I have sold some early series MS Lincoln cents over the past few years for roughly $10,000/coin that are now trading at $50,000, $60,000, even possibly $70,000/coin! When I sell coins, they can go up or down and I surely do not have a "crystal ball". I also can't worry about "all the potential proifts I have lost" - good for the buyers.

I personally see no benefit in chasing most pre-1934 "pop top" Lincolns over the 1934-58 coins - they have all skyrocketed together. If you are looking for an early entry point into series, you missed the Lincoln bus by a couple years. If you want great "pop tops" pay through the nose and if someone wants them more than you next year, you may make great returns if you sell. If the Lincoln cent "bubble" bursts as Stewart alludes to - at least be ready to potentially "lose your shirt" BIG TIME. You are playing with "fire" with the "pop top" MS Lincolns - but, you guys know that already. I doubt seriously that the few guys chasing the monster "pop tops" even care that much about the money. $70,000 for a Lincoln that trades at $3,000 in the undergrade is pocket change to a few of these guys I suspect. If you are not comfortable spending $70,000 for a pop top Lincoln, consider another series right now. For $70,000 instead of a "common" Lincoln, you can probably buy a spectacular 1916 SLQ in PCGS-MS66FH and a 1916(d) Merc in PCGS-MS65FB. Or, even (10) spectacular pattern coins from the 19th century with MINTAGES of less than a dozen per coin! Just food for thought image

Wondercoin
  • Options

Wow, this nice thread congratulating Charles Roberts has degenerated. Such negative tone to some of these posts. I spend time here to have a friendly chat about coin collecting. I get enough drama at work, I don't need more while I'm trying to relax. I think it's time for me to take a break.
  • Options
    Mitch

You seem so vocal but you are so ignorant.Let's talk numismatics and the history of Numismatics.I have been collecting Lincoln cents since I was 8 years old.I believe you were a Lawyer ?
    and now your a full time coin dealer.Where is your expertise? I know you collect Washington quarters and nickel patterns.But since you come off as a Lincoln cent expert.......Let's go at it......We are both registered PCGS dealers who sell Lincoln cents

You speak of a pop 2 or a pop 3 going for $50,000 or $75,000.You must be referring to the 1909 s that Gerry just wheeled and dealed to acquire.And your comparing it to a 1951 Lincoln cent in ms 67 red? Both are terrible deals.But what were great deals were the 1912 d in 66 red that your client purchased for $25,000? the 11 s for $25,000,the 16 d for $25,000 or the 21 s for $25,000.Are you in disagreement with me?

If you look at every record price paid for a Lincoln cent in the last two years I will bet that Gerry owns 90% of the acquisitions.As a matter of fact I believe Gerry has 0 respect for your advice.

Wasn't it you who stated you had sooo many 1953 Lincoln cents in ms 66 red that were as good as the ms 67 that brought $8,000.Think about what you say sometimes and how you insult people when you do business.Try to make sense

stewart
  • Options
    Stewart: I don't take your bait like some others around here image

Wondercoin