Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

WTB magnifying glass

I would like to buy a magnifying glass of good quality. Any suggestions? Are free standing better than hand held? What magnification will I need? I won't have the opportunity of going to any coin shows so I won't have the need for anything portable.

If you have something for sale, or know of someone/place who does, please send me a PM.

Thank you very much,
~*Bugs*~

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    A good all around lens would be a 5x or 7x triplet lens. You want a triplet because it minimizes the visual distortion. For most situations, a 5 or 7 power is all you need. The ANA sells a bausch and lomb triplet for $45 or so. I like it, it's a good lens. Some people recommend zeiss lenses as they say they have superior optical quality. I have never used one, so I cannot say. Try to avoid high powered lenses, they are better for attribution than for grading. And try to avoid cheap doublets. They'll strain the eyes more.

Mel Blanc
  • Options
    You can find all kinds of magnification devices on ebay. Go to coins and look under supplies. I have a Hastings 10X triplet loupe that works just fine and it came from ebay.
    Gary
  • Options
    Mel and Gary...Thanks for the very useful info...~*Bugs*~