Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Boy you Jefferson guys are tough

Ok I've been working on my early Jefferson proof set for a bit now and I still haven't made it to page one. And I thought that this set would be easy, boy was I wrong. I guess it's gonna take me longer than I thought.

Comments

• Options
    All 20 sets on the first page are %100 complete! That is a lot of proof Jeffs!

Keep up the good work. It seems like you are moving up quickly.
  • Options
    What are you looking to pick up now, Jared?
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options

<< <i>I guess it's gonna take me longer than I thought. >>

Jared,
    To move up quickly, change targets. Copy your set over to the proof 1938-1964 with varieties registry. I think you'll make 3rd best all time image Until Carl and BNE copy their sets over...

I think the registries with only 100% complete sets on the first page are less interesting than the others. The change is much less frequent. However, when people are still building, change and movement comes at a faster rate. Always something interesting to look at.

Richard
  • Options
    You know when I first started this set I thought it wouldn't be too tough doing it raw, but now that I'm really looking for nice raw pieces at shows it is gettig very difficult. I'm having a heck of a time finding any of the earier dates in cameo, it seems that most of the cameo stuff is already in plastic. Long Beach was terrible for nice raw Jeffersons. I only picked up one piece that I'll send in, it was a 1942 T1 and should go at least 66 (but I've been surprised before too). I don't know why but I've sent in about 8 1938's and every one has come back 65, you'd think I'd get at least one 66 or 64 even, and as for the 1940, I've still yet to find a respectable raw one out there. I guess it's still going to be a bit before I start to even play with you big boys here, but I'm definatley have fun with it.
  • Options
    see now ive purposely held mine out of the registry for now for exactly that reason. I dont want to have to feel I have to spend money every week just to have fun. Ive come to love the coins so much Im gonna do a research book on jeffs, take over where nagengast left off.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Jared: That is the important part ... having fun! Scoring a raw 1938-1942 Jeff proof in 67 -- which you have done -- is far from an easy task. I have sent in numerous Jeff proofs from that era, mainly scoring 66s, and only have landed one PR-67, a (pardon me) 1938. And, you are right. As evidenced by the pops, the 1940 is the most difficult early Jeff to find in 66/67. I have a 1940 at PCGS now that I have high (PR-67) hopes for and just picked up a rainbow-toned 1941 that could hit PR-67, as well. It's a fun series. And, pontiac, jump on in the registry. No pressure ... the Jeff Proof Gang is a great group of guys who do nothing but try to help one another ... we'd love to see your set! image