Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Topps Leaders Cards

I just got back my grades from PSA on my 6 free club joining submissions. One of the cards I submitted was the #8 Leaders card from the 69' set. I was ecstatic to recieve a PSA 8 on this card for numerous reasons.

First, it was the only one of the 12 that I still needed in 8 or better.

Second, It is difficult to find the #8 card never mind one in good shape. (Anyone shed any light as to why this one pops up infrequently amongst 1st series Leader cards or any batch of 1st series, for that matter?)

Third, The POP report seems to indicate that this is the case and is really tough to boot. There are only 46 graded examples with 16 - 8's and only 1 - 9. I know 16 seems like a decent amount on a % basis but I think 69 collectors would agree that search for this card that it's tough to find and murder in nice condition; or even centered for that matter. The number of graded examples is significantly lower than all the other Leader cards.

Lastly, For the 69' set collector a card like this is often chased, not only by his set collecting peers but Leaders card collectors, HOF collectors, and collectors of the focus players or teams represented on that particular card. (Gibson/Cardinals in this case).

Your thoughts?
RayB69Topps
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I picked this card up at a mall show where there was one lone guy with a bunch of hodgepodge and a spattering of 60's material that was mostly EX/EXMT at best. Just got lucky and found that diamond in the rough. I was pretty sure as soon as I saw it that it would 8 and have been holding it for a while to submit. Glad I did.
    RayB69Topps
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Ray! That is a tough card. Every once in a while you get lucky at those mall shows. That's where I found my '69 Mantle that ended up grading out an 8. How did you do on your other submissions? Any tough ones? Let me know if you have any that I need.

John
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    A Mall? In Maine? Say it ain't so?!?!?!image
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Ray

Great job on the number 8 its a toughie. Low pop 8;s are tough when the 9's are low too because of the registry. Most reside in registered sets.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    EJ - A major show is when 6 vendors set up in the Maine Mall in South Portland...and 5 of them are hawking Beanie Babies and Yugi-oh cards!! :-)
    RayB69Topps
  • Options
    Nice Ray. You never know what you'll find or when you'll find it.
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)