Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Graders

What's the concensus here regarding the graders at PSA? Are some tougher than others? I've sent in 5 or 6 bulk vintage shipments over the last year or so. Each time I've gotten about 20-35% 9's or 10's and the rest 8's with a few below. It's been a pretty consistent return and I don't expect better since I'm using only my own eyes and a good light.

Today, my latest shipment came back. I got about 8 or 9 9's among a group of about 20 Kellogg's. The remainder of the group was once again standard issue Topps material--some culled from the same type lots and era I sent in earlier (primarily '59-73). Among some 75 cards, I received exactly ONE 9. My eyesight hasn't gone bad. And I think I'm a better grader now than I used to be. I feel like I just wasted about $800 because of a grader's bad day or strict personal standards. Or am I just a total crybaby?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know, but I thought two graders were supposed to go over each card. This obviously isn't happening. I know the senior graders handle the more expensive cards. Like to hear what the process is myself.

Satan
  • Options
    I realize we're all human and are bound to make mistakes/inconsistencies, but I must say I am very puzzled when I compare large lots of the same year and make of graded cards.

Case in point, I have ~350 PSA graded 1934 Goudey's. When you compare these cards you cannot help but get pissed-off by the lack of consistency in grades. It actually leads me to believe these graders may wing it sometimes. I know that's not the case, but how can they justify the results? I have many strong examples of cards graded 5 that are easily nicer then the same card as a 6. Tht fact is, they don't have to justify it. If we don't like it we can stop giving them our business I guess. That is a sad fact.

That said, in my experience PSA is just as consistent as any other grader, if not more. That's why I choose them. After all, while grades are important in the case I'd like to sell some day, I really have my cards graded purely for encapsulation purposes.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Ripken.....

Kellogg's...???.....Hmmmmm....What did 'ya get????

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Larry,

The invoice #is 8042504. I got back another group of Kellogg's stars this week. The invoice on that is 4070069

And by the way, the earlier shipment (when I was getting consistent 9s with my 8's) yielded some nice late 50s, early 60s material plus a huge group of '68s that I'll be putting up tonight if anyone is working on sets. Mostly 8's but a few 9s in the later years too.
  • Options
    Ripken...

Can't use any of the K cards, but there is a couple of 1959 Topps baseball cards I could use.

email : emards4457@msn.com

Thanks

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    I know the feeling, i just recently got back a shipment that i am totally disappointed in, i truly wish i had paid via credit card and not a check, because i really would be disputing the charge for the service. I have bought / looked through and submitted enough 1978 topps baseball to know what a 9 is and what a 7 is. I checked every card this time with my trusty loupe, everything was cool, no ripples or anything and i got back 5,6,7,8's. There is no way, that many cards were off, 1 or 2 maybe, who knows, but not 30 or 40, come on!!

then when i contact customer no service, to let them know i'm unhappy and would like to discuss it, have them reexamined, or to see the graders notes, i get no response at all, and the cards just show up at my doorstep, packed crappily, like some other members have complained about recently.

Whats the deal?, does anyone with a clue on running a business actually WORK at CU. I'd like to know, because right now, i'm fed up with them
  • Options
    Wasnt there talk a couple of weeks ago about PSA putting together some sort of video which would demonstrate what happens when cards arrive and the processes they go through while being graded and slabbed?
  • Options
    They've made it their number one priority. Look for it in Imax theaters June of 2009.

S.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    From my last 1980 Topps baseball vending case that opened, I put together about 5 100 card batches. To make those batches, I used other cards so I had about 60 1980 Topps cards in each batch. I averaged about 60-70% PSA 9's on 4 of them and then one batch I got about 15% PSA 9's. All a random assortment from the same vending case. I called PSA to question this and it really didn't get me anywhere. He let me send a few in for review free of charge but I felt like I threw away $600 on that submission. I honestly believe that there was one grader who was doing that but I think he is gone now. I hit him a few times but it's been about 8 months since I hit him last. They have been really consistent as of late, IMO.

As for submitting 1970's cards, give up on those. Buy them already graded. They are grading way, way more stictly lately on those then the used to. You can buy PSA 9's for a couple bucks or spend $300 in grading fees trying to get a few of them.