Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

crossover advice needed: PLEASE HELP

I WANTED TO PURCHASE A SGC CARD FROM A DEALER THAT IS A SGC 92 AND I WANTED TO SEND THE CARD TO PSA TO HAVE IT CROSSED
TO PSA AS A PSA8(NQ) HOWEVER I'M CONCERNED THAT IF I PURCHASE THIS SGC 92 CARD AND HAVE IT SENT TO PSA, THAT IT MIGHT NOT
MEET THE PSA8(NQ) GRADE. I WANTED TO FIND OUT IF ANYONE HAS HAD OR HEARD OF ANY COLLECTORS WHO HAVE SENT TO PSA A SGC92
GRADED CARD AND HAD IT COME BACK LESS THAN A PSA8(NQ). THE CARD I'M INTERESTED IN PURCHSING IS OVER 1500.00 U.S. AND DON'T
WANT TO TAKE THE RISK SINCE I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN COSSING CARDS OVER TO THE OTHER GRADING COMPANIES. IF ANYONE COULD
HELP ME REGARDING THIS MATTER I WOULD GLADLY APPRECIATE IT. AM I TAKING A BIG RISK IN PURCHASING THIS SGC92 CARD AND HAVING
IT CROSSED TO PSA WITH THE HOPES THAT IT WILL GRADE A PSA8(NQ)., OR IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A SGC 92 GRADED CARD TO GET A PSA7.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU.

REGARDS

THEODORE

Comments

• Options
    I have 'crossed' an SGC 92 that became a PSA 9 but I cracked it out of SGC holder first and sent it in
    as a raw card. But my experience will have little bearing on your card....SGC is a pretty tough grader in
    their own right. Once you have the card in your possession, you can determine (with 10x magnification) if it will have a decent chance at an 9 or if it will come back an 8. SGC would have had to miss something major for it to fall from a 92 to a PSA 7.
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    I cross sgc to psa all the time. I find centering is only issue sgc much easier on centering but just as tough if not harder on corners. I have had many upgrades on 92,s to psa 9 like was just stated by tripoli look for yourself before sending it in. but if centering is good a 92 to at least a psa 8 should be no trouble at all. AND PLEASE LOSE THE CAPS THANKS
  • Options
    SGC is a quality outfit. Crossing an SGC 92 to a PSA 8 should be pretty safe. Just make sure the centering meets PSA 8 standards.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Theodore,

Why not predicate the sale on a clean cross-over? Like, I'll buy it, but in a PSA-8 slab. Cough up the cash to do a fast x-over...have the dealer do the submission...and if it doesn't cross cleanly, then walk. The dealer still has his card in a SGC-92 holder and you have no risk. Your only "problem" might be if it comes back in a PSA-9 slab!

Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    If you're talking about 1964 Topps Hockey Tallboys...I would be concerned with back stains that can get a PSA ST qualifier.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    i asked the dealer if he could send in the card to psa himself and if it came back psa8(nq) i would buy it from him but he refused which made
    me raise the red flag. i don't understand why he would not send in the card if i'm agreeing to buy it in a psa8(nq) holder. i have a feeling he
    knows that it might not cross, thats why i want to find out if anyone had had the experience of sending in a sgc92 and having it come back
    as a psa7(nq) or not metting the minimum grade of a psa8(Nq).

regards

theodore
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    First, I think you should check if the card is in an old SGC holder. If it has the 92/8.5 on the label it will have a much better chance of crossing. I agree with what the others have written regarding centering and the card backs.

I sent in a few SGC cards for crossover on my last submission and while most crossed one did not it was an SGC 9 that I wanted to cross to a PSA 9 and a hand written note said the card was not centered well enough top to bottom.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Sound advice from everyone here. Aro13 raises good points if the card is in the old style holder.
    Also, if the dealer won't work with you in any way maybe it's best to walk away.

Good luck!

aconte
  • Options
    does it stand a better chance of crossing over to a psa8(nq) if it is in an old sgc holder. please let me know. do the old sgc holders have the
    sgc92 along with the 8.5 or is that the new holders?

regards

theodore
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    The old style holders will simply have the number 92. The newer holders will have a 92 and an 8.5 below that. A card in a new holder will have a much easier time crossing over.
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Like many others I have successfully crossed SGC 92s to PSA . In fact have had about 50-50 8's vs. 9's. I busted them out of the holders first, didn't use the crossover grading. I might add that several years ago when I was using SGC for grading I sent in several of the older graded cards and had them reholdered with their newer split-grade system (92, 8.5) labels. I would think that many of the cards in new holders were origionally slabbed in with their older labels.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It usually should cross -- but sometimes there are idiosyncratic differences with grading in sets. For example -- I own at least one SGC 92 1955 Bowman baseball card that would not cross over to PSA 8 because of back centering that is essentially miscut. Make sure you understand the grading idiosyncracies of your set -- and go from there.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I say there's no guarantee of anything. The seller isn't responsible for having the card graded by PSA. He has a commodity that's obviously worth 1500 to you. Why should he endanger that? This is the risky part of the hobby. Buy the card, send it in as a crossover with a minimum grade and see what happens. If it doesn't cross, you can still sell the card in a SGC 92 holder which should get you back the bulk of your dough.

Or, wait and find the card in a PSA 8 and spend whatever extra you have to for peace of mind. I don't love the crossover process. There's rivalries among the card grading companies. I don't like to get caught in the middle. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and wait a bit. This way, you'll get exactly what you want. 1500 dollars is a lot. Take the gamble out of the equation.

Two schools of thought from a man with a two-pronged tongue,

Satan
  • Options
    in the event i do decide to purchase this sgc92 card and have it sent to psa for the crossover with a minimum grade pf psa8(nq) should i break
    it out of its sgc holder and send it in or should i send it in its sgc holder. do i stand a better chance of having the card grade a psa8(Nq) if
    its not in the sgc holder. i'm kind of worried of breaking it out of its sgc holder becasue i will have to pay 1500.00 for this card in the sgc holder.
    please let me know.

regards

theodore
  • Options
    WSBB,

I don't understand. Have you offered the dealer to pay for the x-over service? If you have and he still refuses, I'd walk. You can do a same-day walk-through x-over for $50....and the card will be back at the dealer within a week (depending on where you live, I suppose). This was is no risk to anyone -- other that your $50. Again, if this doesn't work, I'd walk (quickly).

Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options

<< <i>in the event i do decide to purchase this sgc92 card and have it sent to psa for the crossover with a minimum grade pf psa8(nq) should i break
    it out of its sgc holder and send it in or should i send it in its sgc holder. do i stand a better chance of having the card grade a psa8(Nq) if
    its not in the sgc holder. i'm kind of worried of breaking it out of its sgc holder becasue i will have to pay 1500.00 for this card in the sgc holder.
    please let me know. >>

<< <i>in the event i do decide to purchase this sgc92 card and have it sent to psa for the crossover with a minimum grade pf psa8(nq) should i break
    please let me know. >>

I'd send it to PSA in the SGC holder with the min cross grade of 8 NQ. If it doesn't cross, then I'd possibly consider breaking it out and submitting it.

But, it would have to be very important to me to have the card in a PSA holder to consider giving up the SGC 92 when PSA already refused to give an 8 NQ on the cross request.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"