Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Topps -- Wow

1984 Topps PSA 9 Guidry

I realize that Yankees cards will always have a home somewhere, but this is kinda nuts, isn't it? This card can be found in common bins everywhere...

Makes me want to bust some 1984 vending or rack boxes... (all of which are VERY affordable).

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The beauty of that stuff is that the first to market will usually reap the greatest rewards. These cards tend to be Pop. Report scarcities. In other words, they are only scarce because nobody has submitted them. As people then see what a card like this will get, others submit them and the price ends up dropping substantially as a Pop. 1 or 2 becomes a Pop. 15.
  • Options
    Very true Vargha...

Out of curiosity, I checked the pop. report for this card. 20 total graded; 4 10's, 14 9's, 2 8's. Certainly doesn't appear to be a tough one to garner a PSA 9 on!

Crazy Yankees' fans... image
  • Options
    The joke of it all is ebay seller " 4_sharp_corners " has one in his ebay store with a buy it now of $10.00 and he has listed it several times

• Options
    The real question is if we all decide to go home and grab our potential 9's and 10's from the 1980's we'd probably have so many high grade cards we wouldn't know where to start. I have at least 100,000 cards from the 1980's. Thousands are still unopened.

Who the hell wants to spend that much on grading without guaranteed pay-off? To me the potential of making $15 a card isn't worth the work. You'd have to spend an aweful long time comparing you potential winners to the pop reports.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    GoSoxBoSox- I have to disagree. With the 80's you have to know which years are worth submitting. Sure there are thousands of card available, and lots of unopened material, but try getting 9's and 10's from certain years. 85 Topps Football, 85 Donruss Baseball and 86 Topps Baseball are killers with their black borders. 86 Topps football with it's miscuts and print flaws. Ask Gator5 about 81 Topps Baseball J. Bench. Over 25,000 cards searched (and that's a low estimate) with only 2 PSA 9's.
    81 Fleer and Donruss Baseball with it's poor card stock, printing flaws, miscuts and fuzzy photography is another challenging year. Not to mention the numerous errors.
    The years to avoid submitting are 88, 89, 90 Topps, Fleer and Donruss.
    With many of these years you can make way more than $15 per card if you submit the right year.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>The joke of it all is ebay seller " 4_sharp_corners " has one in his ebay store with a buy it now of $10.00 and he has listed it several times >>

Chances are 4SC's card is even nicer than this one.To date,he probably has sent me some of the nicest cards in my set.

I don't care for the Blue Jays cards much but the Stieb Rookie I received is an awesome looking 10.Very glossy, colorful and bright.
  • Options
    So, if there so hard to find (and I do believe you) I again ask is it worth the effort to search through them? That's a lot of searching for even a couple hundred bucks. At least in my eyes.
  • Options
    GBS if it's a big time dealer I'd say no.If it's a guy like Gator or 4 sharp corners then I'd say yes.Both submitters are very selective in what they submit from particular sets and manage to produce some overwhelming results for PSA 10s.It's worked out well for them and who are we to say they or anyone else should stop espically when they are rarely selling $.25 cards at a loss and seem to be enjoying it in the process?

Jesus,I saw a ton of Gator 8s 9s and 10s,it's even hard to tell the difference from 9s and 10s with a lot of his 8s.Now it may not be worth it for him to crack and resubmit but if someone was planning to buy a lot of Gator 8s,they'd probably get a large percentage of 9s back at the very minimum.

• Options
    Gobo,

Certain years from the 80's I find harder than some 70's cards. Fabfrank was close yet he missed a zero 250 thousand cards all pack fresh and only 2 bench's in 9. Placement on the sheet is part of the problem along with a major printing flaw. Certain cards are what I call single prints haven't came to a conclusion on that yet Lynn and Parrish you just don't see them often. Gossage and Guidry are also tough along with Randoulph pops are 2,4,3, and I own them all minus one. These are all 81's.

It's my guestimation in 81 out of 15 or so rack cases all my 10 quality gem material came from the same run of 5 cases with the other cases yielding me basically zip zero nothing worth submitting usually do to lack of focus, color, border chipping and centering. Now I have it down to the #'s on the side of the case and can tell you exactly whats in it, what cards you'll have a shot at in 10 and so on. That being said I wish I could go back with knowing what I know now would have save me a couple grand but it's like paying for school I guess. Problem being is the world is dry of 81 topps rack cases and wax I done bought them all. I'm thinking of running an add next month in SCD.

81's are 3-4 time tougher than 78's and thats no lie. 1 rack case in 78 brought me to almost 25% with gobs of doubles and trips. 81's in the best case run will but you at 10% if your lucky thats lucky.

I might as well announce that my next project will be 86 topps just to see what is tougher 81's or 86's. 84's seem to me alot easier but still to find the gem cards is spotty at best. 85 donruss are a beast of all burdens and have been picking at these raw for awhile. I do have a line on some 85 fb unopened also that I might venture into.

But the price for the guidrey is absurd to say the least.

In the long run some of these 80's sets will profit down the road. 81 I see it already the world is dry and you have to be in the correct run to make an impact. When you take into fact that 95% of the vending is trash. Not much left to be had according to a few big name dealers. Fritch has 20 cases but hey they might all be from the junk run so lol!!!

Just for a hint listen close 250,000 cards and can only get to an official 87% in 9 and better.image
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Just for a hint listen close 250,000 cards and can only get to an official 87% in 9 and better

Ouch!
  • Options
    Gator,

My lord those stats are real ugly. The more I hear, the more I don't even wanna look at those cards. It sound like I'd have a better chance at winning the lottery.

In a few eeeks or months I'll track you down and give you an inventory of what I have unopened. It's all baseball for sure between the years on 1979 to 1989. All makes. It's in storage. Dry and temperature controlled storage.

Maybe you can give me some pointers on what may be worth opened.
  • Options
    Vargah,

Now that last 13% I could have tossed in some slants or minor print cards that might be able to take up some of the slack but then your just fooling yourself. Everything in the set was pretty much prestine in the 81 topps world it was slabbed if it was better than an existing card. But try finding a pinella with no print along with darrel evans. The pinella hit ebay last year in 9 paid a whopping 6.00 bucks to the door. Still a 1-1 and I didn't turn it. Does it have print yes sir yet minimal.

GoBo,

As for worth my time probably not when you take up the task of searching 250K of cards in drives you insane and I did go insane. But I profited well and it was a well thought out plan something that you know is tough you cant just open it on ebay at 1.00. If you put the type of product in the slabs that should be there you will find a buyer. Most of all it's ventured me with great relationships in the card world along with some great friends. I feel like a women at times for I have telephone conversations daily with many of the guys. image

Anyone willing to take up the task I have 150 8's and 9's that I'll gladly give you a great deal on!

Gator
  • Options
    I think FabFrank has demonstrated why PSA is here to stay. We'll be saying the same thing about the cards from the 90's in ten years.

I just bough five million rookie Rocco Baldellis raw for 10 cents each. I hope he works out. My life is now permanently connected to his.

Satan
  • Options
    psatan,

How true, if they could just pay a little more attention to the 70's and 80's I'd be a little more loyal to the card world of how tough is tough.

GoBo

Lottery might not go that far but at times thats what it is considering 2-3 benches in existence came from my first rack case. Sold them agreeing with the world 81's are easyimage

Any questions. GATOR05@CHARTER.NET
  • Options
    PSAtan,

You'll do well with the spaghetti eatin' whop. He's got plenty of skills.

PS - I'm 100% whop myself, and come from philly so I can say that.
  • Options
    This is another case of bidders not caring about tracking another card down, but having to have this one. Along the same note, there are 2 bidders on Ebay right now that are bidding up Red Man cards sky high, way past SMR and way past what they should be paying for them. If they would only do some homework, they could potentially save themselves hundreds of dollars. Oh well, I guess if you have that much money it doesn't matter.

For example, a PSA 5 1955 Hank Bauer Red Man is hovering just below $50. SMR is $22 and that is an increase in price from last months SMR. The two bidders (TheLawyer) and (Bigmattsports) are punishing each other to the delight of the sellers. I know SMR has been off on Red Mans for a long time, but at least the SMR is showing an increase in value of these cards like they have been selling, however $50 bucks for this card is way too much.
  • Options
    Pi - zan
    Gunnea
    Spagetti bender
    Pizza tosser
    Grape stomper
    Ginzo
    Guido
    Goombah

Gotta love Sunday dinners at Grandma's.

Great Stories Matt.Glad to know your an optomist(paid for my schooling)you taught yourself well.

• Options
    I can say it.....your irish a$$ can't!!! Us deggo's (which you forgot to mention) don't have "Rob's" in the family tree.

Don't make me send my Joeys' after you!!!
  • Options
    I'm a kyke. There I admitted it. My people killed Jesus. Hate me. I'm a money grubbing Yid that would sell his sister for a loaf of stale bread.

America's Melting Pot,

Satan
  • Options
    Just for the record - I'm Italian. image
    (Heard all the jokes and slurs all my life and we love laughing at ourselves too)

1/2 My Family came from off the boat WOP.image
    The other half came from Georgia at the Turn of the century,built a farm(Yes! There is lots of farm land in CT) which is now a small city with a Veteran's hospital smack dab in the middle of it.

• Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    not to be the grammar nazi, but isn't it spelled 'WOP'?? image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    RobE> Stop being such a dago.

So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Let me see..."With Out Papers".....yep....WOP.....I'll slow down next time and think image
  • Options

<< <i>RobE> Stop being such a dago.

image >>

Sorry...image

If you ever come out East you can come over and try the family sauce.I'll even have a copy of the recipe for you to take home.