Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Looking for cost/benefit realities in breaking graded packs.

Though I have cracked a fair number of boxes from the 50s, 60s and 70s, I have yet to open a graded pack. Here are my questions...

First a theoritical question... At what point is a pack too expensive to crack, assuming you are looking for high grade (PSA 8 or better) cards? Before you answer, let me take away (at least partially) one variable and limit my question to packs from 1950 to 1979.

Second, a more concrete question... Here are three identical packs: A GAI 6.5, GAI 7.5, and GAI 8.5. If we assume the packs contain five commons, and also assume that the SMR is accurate valuing PSA 8 commons at $22 and PSA 9 commons at $55, what are these packs worth if one would want to crack them and have the individual cards graded by PSA? For those of you who have cracked GAI packs, have you seen any correlation between pack grades and potential card grades?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

My understanding is that any pack graded by GAI is authentic.
    The difference in grade pertains to centering and wrinkles on the wrapper ?

The prices I've been seeing unopened packs from the 1960's going for, seem to assume all 9's, including at least one star.
    So, most would call it gambling, at best.

If you want to crack one, you have to ask yourself ... do you feel lucky ? ... well DO you PUNK ?
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    the risk is all on the buyer. Actual returns never pay for the pack opener, unless you can quantify the joy factor in finding that little gem, regardless of its condition.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    Well, if you look at this 1967 Topps Third Series Unopened Wax Box which sold for over $22K (including buyers fee), I would have to say that there is no way it would be worth it to open these packs. At just under a grand a pack, you would have to get almost all 9s and 10s and have a star in every pack to break even on this.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    The pack grades have no correlation with card grades. if you are looking to break packs, i would recommend looking for 6-7.5 graded packs which is what i have been doing. They sell for much less than packs graded 8+ and most of the time their are tears in the wrapper that do not affect the cards. Be sure to inspect the pack carefully for any potential mishandling of the packs like dings or apparrent corner abuse. I have opened packs as low as 5.5 and received high grades. 5.5's usually have a large tear on the top or something but can also show damage that would affect the cards. do a close inspection.image
  • Options
    A friend of mine is contemplating opening a 49 Bowman, 1955,1956, and 1957 packs. These are nickle packs with 5 cards each. Do any of you think that these packs would offer a positive cost versus benefit? Commons from these years in high grade are very pricey and if one was lucky enough to pull a star that would be gravy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Billy

I need 1955 Topps Baseball in PSA 7-nq #3,16,20,92,183,196,201.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with previous posters on 1960's packs. Even though I have bought (and opened) 5 over the past 2 years, I can't say I've "made money" doing it. Only after I sell all my cards (or my heirs sell my cards if they can pry them from my dead hands), will I be able to say if it was a financially profitable decision. That said, I plan to open at least one cello pack per year because it is that much fun for me and worth the thrill.

GAI grades are nice but only assesses the seal of the pack--cards can be as OC 90/10 and pack grade could still be MINT. Examine all corners as much as possible by holding pack sideways and rotating (as you would any individual card). This will ensure you the best chance at having your corners be MINT. Centering really is a gamble. I have seen 95/5 and 50/50 in the same pack. I have also opened miscuts and PD's. ENJOY and GOOD LUCK!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A friend of mine is contemplating opening a 49 Bowman, 1955,1956, and 1957 packs. These are nickle packs with 5 cards each. Do any of you think that these packs would offer a positive cost versus benefit? Commons from these years in high grade are very pricey and if one was lucky enough to pull a star that would be gravy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Billy

I need 1955 Topps Baseball in PSA 7-nq #3,16,20,92,183,196,201. >>

I'd say don't open them! Nickle packs from the 1950s are so rare now that they will continue to skyrocket in value. In fact, some dispute whether a legitimate 1953 nickle pack still exists. Due to the rarity of those packs, they will someday sell for far more than what the individual cards inside could ever bring. If you look at the cello packs from that era, the cards are quite often OC. If your friend would consider selling any of those packs, let me know. I'd be willing to make it worth his while.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    radiation guy your friend would be nuts to open those packs in my opinion. how much does he want for the 55-57? not worth the risk of getting 2 o/c cards, 1 with a gum stain, one with a wax stain and maybe 1 centered card with a print defect.