Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

72 Topps Nettles

I just started my Graig Nettles Master Set and was watching an Ebay auction for a raw 72 Nettles that had nice centering and was advertised as being fresh from a vending box. It looked like it had a good shot at a PSA 9 (pop report of 4) so I put in a snipe for $45 while I was watching football and figured that should be a safe dollar amount. I was suprised to learn that the auction ended for $60.99!

I can imagine what a true PSA 9 version would bring in.

Patrick
Completed Auction for 1972 Topps Nettles Raw from Vending Break

post edited for poor use of the english language image
Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.

Comments

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    sometimes life throws you a curveball
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I'd put even money that the next PSA9 NQ example of the Nettles to hit eBay will go for less than $61. Patience.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    thats an insane amount for a semistar, regardless of condition
  • Options
    GoodRiddance> A lot for a RAW semi-star. And probably a lot for an already-slabbed PSA9 example considering the 72 Nettles really isn't that tough a card.

Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'm astounded by the number of collectors who have such a hard-on for submitting cards with the potential to register a premium grade that they will pay ABOVE AND BEYOND what a like slabbed example would cost for the priveledge of submitting the card themselves. Want a shot at a 10? Go buy a nice nine and crack it. And take your family to McDonalds with the 20 bucks you saved.

But then, I guess nobody ever said that card collector's were the brightest candles in the menora. Just look at what LeBron James' cardboard is fetching.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is another card from that insane '72 set break that saw a raw Rose go for $350 and Kaline go for $150. Does anyone think there are people who love high grade cards but hate grading companies and are willing to pay huge premiums to avoid them (grading companies)?
  • Options
    i cant see one logical reason for buying raw, especially if the price is on par with graded for the condition.

another question- what percentage of vintage card collectors do you think collect strictly raw stuff?
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Mike,

I'd take that bet since both EO and PSU still need the Nettles in 9. It'll be a little while before a bargain Nettles closes on eBay.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank> That may be so, but with 24 PSA8 NQ and four PSA9s, it's a card that certainly doesn't stand out as a tough one. At least relative to other cards in the set.

Mike