Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What "service" means to me....

Here is a list of what "good service" means to me....please add your thoughts and additional points.

Good Service to me is:

- answering emails within hours not days
- leaving feedback when payment is received..not when the buyer leaves feedback
- charging a reasonable shipping fee
- proper packaging of the card...(not just a small bubble envelope)
- emailing the buyer when the product is shipped
- accepting all sorts of payment (paypal, checks and money orders)
- willing to provide additional scans
- providing quality scans in an auction listing
- shipping out the next day after receiving paypal
- not sending out slabs with stickers on them, if sticker is removed..using "goo gone" before shipping
- letting the buyer know up front whether the insurance offered is through the USPS (sig required) or self-insurance

Anyone have any others to add?

John

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I would add:

Contacts you with card they know you're looking for.
    Ships immediately after you tell them the checks in the mail.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    John,

All the things you list are secondary to me. Good service is calling you on cards you need either before offering them to others or putting them on ebay.

Jim
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John,

All the things you list are secondary to me. Good service is calling you on cards you need either before offering them to others or putting them on ebay.

Jim >>

I echo Davalillo's point here. Now more than ever, I simply do not have the time, patience, ability to track down the cards I need. Thus, I am always indebted to the numerous dealers who specifically call me out when they have something they think I would want. 90% of the time, if I need the card, I am willing to pay a premium price to a) establish the long-term relationship and b) potentially avoid a bidding war later.

As my collection has grown and become more specialized, I have moved further away from the Ebay and major auction paradigms and more towards those personal relationships. There are definitely a handful of dealers who peruse this very board (some who post -- some who do not) who have frequently called me out with their latest acquisitions. I appreciate that.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    P.S. Another good service characteristic is:

Telling your customer if the card is weak or not. I have bought my fair share of weaker-grade cards over my collecting lifetime -- and if I am cognizant of what I am getting into before I take the plunge, I much prefer that than the surprise later on....

Too many dealers out there think every card they have has corners you could shave with, colors and contrast that will blind you, and centering that engineers can base their calculations from. Those dealers that will tell you flat out the good and the bad do it for me....

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Dav & Schmitty,

Why would anyone call you to offer you their cards unless they knew you'd pay as much as they'd gain on the open market?

I understand this if it's a few cards that they'll know you'll pay a premium for, but on big deals it seems strange to expect a phone call from a dealer that knows you're always looking for big deals so that you gain discount pricing.

Just asking,

Sox

PS - I'd add they must allow you to pay by credit card so the buyer has fraud protection in the case they poorly describe the card(s). A return policy for full price and shiiping cost won't hurt either.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Can't agree more regarding leaving feedback when payment is recieved.
    When people pay me, I immediately leave feedback. But it seems 90% of the time the cat and mouse game is played where the seller waits for the buyer to do it first. i.e.: when I buy something, they wait until I leave it before they do. Even though I finished my end of the deal.

I don't bother leaving negative feedback. As pissed as I might be, my 100% 700+ rating is too important for some slacker to leave one in retaliation.
  • Options
    I think treating steady clients fairly is the most important aspect of good service. Most of these morons aren't smart enough to know who butters their bread. There might be times they can fetch a higher price elsewhere, but keep a big collector happy and guarantee purchases in the future. Also, it makes buying a lot easier for a dealer if he/she knows a certain collector will take certain years in certain grades. They can buy a deal without risk and pass on some savings. I don't think you can survive too long without putting together a strong base of repeat customers. Many try to squeeze every nickel out of a card, but in the long run it's going to hurt not help. The worst dealers make believe they are trying to be loyal and jack up card prices because they know you have money.

My thoughts,

Satan
  • Options
    1. Good communication

2. Trust/honesty

3. Finding you cards verses you having to call them looking for the card.

That's what is most important to me. I couldn't tell you who has left feedback for me in the past year - I never look at it. I don't look to see how it's packaged as long as it's a reasonable job. (Although I once received a psa 9 Bench card creased with a broken slab in a regular envelope - not even a bubble envelope) It doesn't matter how much shipping is because I factor that into my bid. Shipping next day is great but I still buy a lot of cards from Discount Sportscards and they are very slow.

Basically it comes down to are they helping me out in an honest and courteous way. That's why Jay is so awesome to deal with.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    a "happy ending"
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

<< <i>Dav & Schmitty,

I understand this if it's a few cards that they'll know you'll pay a premium for, but on big deals it seems strange to expect a phone call from a dealer that knows you're always looking for big deals so that you gain discount pricing.
    >>

GoSoxBoSox:

Most of my direct deals with dealers are larger transactions (never under $100..., most often much higher). Usually the types of items I purchase are sufficiently rare that the market "value" is largely undetermined. This is especially true of cards that are 1/1, pops. less than 5, etc. Many people do not realize just how thin the markets are for certain cards. Though I can name a hundred collectors who will basically purchase any 1914 CJ Mathewson card for $1,000.... I can only name a handful that will spend $10,000+ on one that grades VG/EX or better. So I think that there is a big risk sometimes associated with listing cards on Ebay or in major auctions. Your 1/2 PSA 9 vintage common may go for $500, or it may go for $2,000. Dealers, just like collectors, often do not want to take the downside risk of such an endeavour. By selling privately, the goal is that they can dollar cost average down and be re-assured by having a "sure thing". There are numerous cards that I have bought privately that have since never appeared in the market -- or sometimes only once or twice. Sometimes I have overpaid what I would have paid on Ebay (e.g. benefit the dealer). Sometimes I have underpaid (e.g. benefit me). It's a risk-aversion scenario by both dealer and collector. Throw in politics, other noise (administrative time and fees), etc., and it may become more clear why some try to deal privately rather than publically. Obviously many dealers try to marry both concepts.

MS
  • Options
    John:

What is "goo gone" and where can I get some? The stickers on some of the graded cards I bought are driving me nuts.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    goo gone removes the goo residues that stickers and such leave behind. The link is for 2 cases (don't know seller), just to get an idea of what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Read all about goo gone here.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    You can also use Bestine (rubber cement thinner) available at any art supply store. "Bug and Tar" brand remover works well too (but smells pretty nasty), I've found it at hardware stores. I've never had a problem using either on PSA slabs, but I'd still test it on a small corner just in case it clouds the plastic.
    On the topic of service I don't care that much how fast the card is delivered (within reason) nor how it is packaged or insured as long as I get it. What keeps me coming back to the best dealers are the ones that contact me with cards I'm looking for. There is nothing more aggravating that spending a sack o' cash with a dealer, only to find the card you've been asking for they've listed on ebay. There was one ebay seller who I won a card from and asked if they had more- the reply was yes, they were going up on ebay. When I responded that I would be willing to buy it outright, their response that was they didn't sell directly because it was "against policy", no matter now much I was willing to pay. I suddenly found it was against my policy to bid on their cards.
    As tough as it is to find a good deal at shows I do find that's where a lot of the personal contact can be made to work into deals later in the year. I'm also able to track down cards for friends wantlists and increase the network possibilities that way. Like MS said, a lot of the best cards never go out on the open market, and this is where the "service" part comes in-remembering who wants them.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

John,

Nice wish list. You left off one thing: low shipping fees, like a buck.

Interchanges, regarding your comment, "700+ rating is too important for some slacker to leave one in retaliation," that attitude is very self-serving and is of no help to the rest of the ebay community. Would you also sell your birthright for a bowl of porridge?
  • Options
    Thanks Kurt. I appreciate the information.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    Joe - no problem at all.
  • Options
    <Would you also sell your birthright for a bowl of porridge?>

Are we talking hot or cold porridge ... and can you throw in some raisins?

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    regarding the sticky residue removal...

WD-40 also works well. Just let it soak in for
    a couple minutes and wipe away.

oh, good service to me also means using lots of
    smiley faces in your emails. I like that.

Chuck

• Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    John,

I'd agree with nearly everything you mentioned & try to follow as many of those guidelines as I can. The one thing I'd disagree with you on would be the insistence that sellers leave feedback before buyers. While I've never had a problem with any PSA collector that I can think of (most are the BEST on EBay--prompt, polite, seemingly intelligent image and quite reasonable), there are others in the collecting hobby who ruin it for everyone.

When you think about it, a seller really has no reason to post negative feedback if he's paid. A wigged-out buyer can (and unfortunately a few have) leave it for just about any reason. I used to leave immediate feedback. My feedback includes 4400+ positives. However, one buyer recently left negative feedback about a non-sports item without even contacting me (I would have gladly refunded his money based on his reason). Had I not left positive feedback for him first, I doubt he would have. It's happened one or two other times as well. It's rare, but unfortunately it happens. The drop in computer prices has meant that any idiot can own one. And once in awhile comes proof that they do.

Not posting immediate feedback probably does upset some people---and I do feel bad about it when I don't. But those few bad instances just make me reluctant to do it...especially with buyers who purchase multiple items. One crackpot can double your negatives in a hurry and keep buyers away. But anyone, buyer or seller, with a significant amount of feedback shouldn't worry about whether they get it or give it after awhile. Once your reputation is obvious, I don't think it means much.
  • Options
    A little OT but I have to share. This feedback was left for me yesterday. I never respond to fb, but in this case I had to.

Praise : Received card in reasonable time, nice doing business with.

Response by zardoz51 - Reasonable?????? Auction closed Thurs. night, and you have the card on Monday!!!

If that is his idea of resonable, what constitutes fast turnaround? Would he have given me a negative if it had arrived on Tues. or Weds.?

I wait until I have 50 or 60 accumulated before leaving FB. yes, it's very nice doing it one here and one there, but it is time consuming, and in light of the fact that FB is only reciprocated half the time by buyers, INCLUDING MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD, it is frankly not a priority in the overall scope of things.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Paul,

Can we just leave FB out of this??? I feel like I'm being slandered here!!! If you want, I'll work this guy over for ya???
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    zardoz,

I understand you questioning FBs' choice of words. But, aren't you being a little too picky? I mean...he did leave you "praise".

FB probably just chose a standard comment from his feedback drop-down menu without really thing about it. My experience with FB is that he's a real stand-up guy.

However, if FB did in fact leave a standard comment...he should more concious of his wording. Perhaps a lesson learned?

Just my 2 cents.

Tom
  • Options
    Gobosox,

I think fb is short for feedback...not a person...FB was making a joke.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Alan - yup - you got it!

Tom - I actually went into Paul's feedback to make sure that I DIDN'T leave that for him because its possible that I pulled something wrong off of the drop-down. But, it turned out that it wasn't my feedback he was talking about and then I realized that FB was indeed "feedback".

So, since I had to do all that work to check it out - I couldn't let his post go "unpunished"...
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Ok Zardoz

Come clean . The auction ended Wednesday night not Thursday. there is no reason the guy couldnt of gotten his card by Saturdayimage
  • Options
    I really wish all sellers would leave feedback upon receipt of payment. I too was at 100% until last month when I left a negative and a neutral to sellers who were real jerks, and had held their feedback hostage until I left mine. Sure enough, I had two negatives within a day of leaving the feedbacks. I knew they were coming, but I slept better that night knowing I did my part to warn others.
    The way I see it, if you have 100% positive feedback, you aren't helping the system. If you are below 98%, you are part of the problem.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    DHjacks

You ruined your perefect feedback of 5 years over 2 carebears. Although acowa will be proud. What were you thinkingimage
  • Options
    I gotta agree with Ripken on the feedback issue. I use to leave feedback right after the seller paid, and always thought something was up with sellers that didn't do the same. But after you get whacked with a couple of "nuts" and you see your rating fall.... it's not hard to rethink your decision.

I had one of the famous "oops, I meant to leave this negative for someone else... I'm really sorry",
    I also had a newbie hit me with a neutral because he thought that meant (and I'll quote him) "I got an average bargain price"
    After that, and after paying Square Trade $$ to remove the hits, I do not leave feedback first anymore.

I've always thought that eBay should change their feedback system and not allow the sellers to return feedback at all, (as long as the seller pays OK, of course). Also force the buyers to contact the sellers and try to resolve any problems before being allowed to leave a neutral or a negative. I think that might help resolve some of the feedback issues.
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Duhhh....maybe next time I'll read the whole thread. Thanks for slapping me around acowa image
  • Options
    Tom,

It was darn nice of you to come to my defense. Although, I have to admit - it was fun watchin you get slapped around too!

Not a place for the faint hearted!!!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB has great FB. Check out 8/25/03. image

JEB.
  • Options
    Howitallbegan,
    Yes, I did. Those Care Bearians are a messy group. My wife has me up to my ears in those Bears.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Three eBay ids is the correct amount :

1. Your main id to sell items you know, understand, and care about.
    2. An id to buy items with, so that even if you buy from flakes, your selling id's feedback will not be hurt.
    3. An id to sell stuff that your friends and relatives want their "eBay expert" to dispose of for them.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"